Countdown to September 2nd vs UVA. (Top 150 Vols wins)

52 days……

#52 - 34-31 vs #14 Georgia (1992)

In the SEC opener for both teams, it was a battle between two sophomore QBs, Zeier and Shuler. Zeier had the better stats, but Shuler got the final say.

Shuler, who completed just 12 of 22 passes for 152 yards, had given Tennessee a 27-17 lead with a 4-yard TD run in the opening minutes of the final quarter. But Garrison Hearst, who also scored on a 4-yard run midway through the second quarter and finished with 161 rushing yards, closed the gap to 27-24 with 12 minutes left when he broke loose on a 64-yard scoring run.

Shuler scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns, the second with only 50 seconds remaining, to lead No. 20 Tennessee to a 34-31 triumph over No. 14 Georgia.

Zeier, who was intercepted twice, appeared to have Georgia on the move in the closing seconds. But after a 37-yard completion, linebacker Reggie Ingram recovered an Andre Hastings fumble -- the fourth recovery in seven Georgia fumbles in the game -- and Tennessee ran out the clock.

Philip Fulmer was as Head Coach with Majors recovering from By-pass surgery. The fans and admin began seeing that a change might be on the horizon…..

695EE4A0-F5DA-4C69-BAB9-ED3D8E3243E9.png

Philip Fulmer was as Head Coach with Majors recovering from By-pass surgery. The fans and admin began seeing that a change might be on the horizon…..
Majors returned to coach victories against Cincinnati and at LSU. With a 5-0 start, the Vols were ranked #4 by the AP. Majors then lead Tennessee to lose to unranked Arkansas and then #4 Alabama at home, and to unranked South Carolina in Columbia. Though the Volunteers did close out the season with victories over Memphis State, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt, UT bought out Johnny Majors contract directly afterwards. Phab ("Phat") Phil was made HC. Majors declined to coach the Vols in their bowl game, and Fulmer began his stint as HC with a victory over Boston College in the Hall of Fame Bowl.

Edit: Fulmer followed the upset of Georgia in Athens with a victory over then #4 Florida in Neyland. Fans and administrators alike began to sense these Volunteers to be a team of destiny. There was a widely held perception that the three straight losses in the heart of the season were Majors' fault. Though he finished out the season before the administration bought out his contract, I suspect that decision was made after the loss to South Carolina.

Last edited:
52 days……

#52 - 34-31 vs #14 Georgia (1992)

In the SEC opener for both teams, it was a battle between two sophomore QBs, Zeier and Shuler. Zeier had the better stats, but Shuler got the final say.

Shuler, who completed just 12 of 22 passes for 152 yards, had given Tennessee a 27-17 lead with a 4-yard TD run in the opening minutes of the final quarter. But Garrison Hearst, who also scored on a 4-yard run midway through the second quarter and finished with 161 rushing yards, closed the gap to 27-24 with 12 minutes left when he broke loose on a 64-yard scoring run.

Shuler scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns, the second with only 50 seconds remaining, to lead No. 20 Tennessee to a 34-31 triumph over No. 14 Georgia.

Zeier, who was intercepted twice, appeared to have Georgia on the move in the closing seconds. But after a 37-yard completion, linebacker Reggie Ingram recovered an Andre Hastings fumble -- the fourth recovery in seven Georgia fumbles in the game -- and Tennessee ran out the clock.

View attachment 562427
Although Heath Shuler had been receiving the majority of snaps, wasn't he still battling Jerry Colquitt (the best that never was) for the starting spot?

I seem to remember this game, that late 4th qtr TD drive in particular, leading to Shuler officially being named the starting QB.

Although Heath Shuler had been receiving the majority of snaps, wasn't he still battling Jerry Colquitt (the best that never was) for the starting spot?

I seem to remember this game, that late 4th qtr TD drive in particular, leading to Shuler officially being named the starting QB.
Shuler started every game in 1992, but was still raw. He had more rushing TDs (11) than passing (10)

Shuler started every game in 1992, but was still raw. He had more rushing TDs (11) than passing (10)

Crazy to think that as a team the 2022 Vols had 38 passing TDs and two INTs, more than Shuler's entire career of 36 TDs (12 INTs). Joe Milton threw for 10 TDs last year as well, but in only 82 attempts.

Peyton's 11,201 yards and 89 TDs remains a pretty high bar though. If anyone is going to clear that, it would certainly be one of Heupel's QBs.

58 days…..

#58 - 31-11 vs #5 Penn State (1971)

The Vols were 8-2 and headed to the Liberty Bowl, but still had one game left on the schedule…..undefeated and 5th ranked Penn St.

A national TV audience watched as the “pride of Eastern football” brought their 15 game winning streak to Knoxville. The Majors family was honored before the game, which turned out to be very prophetic. Bobby, the All-American safety returned punts and kickoffs for 195 yards, including a spectacular 44 yard punt return for a touchdown.

The Vols defense was amazing the entire game. Jackie Walker consistently pressured the PSU offense and had a 43 yard interception return for a touchdown and Conrad Graham intercepted a pitch and returned it 76 yards for the first Vols TD.

In the end, UT held the nations best offense to 11 points. The magnitude of dominating a team like the Nittany Lions is what makes this one of the best games in Tennessee history. It was a complete shutdown of the momentum Penn State had built.

Conrad Graham’s “int”
View attachment 561218
I was a 12 year old kid working at the bowling alley. Back then, Oneida could not afford a modern automatic pin setting system and we had one kid per 2 lanes jumping down into the pit and setting the pins in the rack, pushing the button when 2 balls had been bowled and dodging flying pins for 10 cents per game. One of the boys had a transistor radio and the Vols were on, just like the players were listening to theirs. The lanes virtually shut down when the final seconds ticked off. Good memories of a simpler time.

Last edited:
51 days……

#51 - 34-3 vs Georgia Tech (1972)

The Vols opened the season with a road game in Atlanta with a bunch of new faces on defense, and one really new player on offense. After a hugely successful season in 1971 that had very little offense, and relied on a great defense, most questioned how good UT would be. It was also on National TV.

After going up 3-0, UTs new QB, making his first career start, had the Vols deep in Georgia Tech territory when disaster happened. A quick out was intercepted and seemed to be returned for a score, but the QB that threw it ran down the defender and kept him from scoring. The Vols held and gave up only a game tying FG.

The rest of the game was a route, as the Vols scored the next 31 points to blow out Tech 34-3.

The stats aren’t important, the fact that Tech wasn’t ranked, and UT was favored don’t matter. The impact of this game was because of one person…..Condredge Holloway.

The new QB for UT began a legendary career that day that would make him one of the most beloved and respected players in Vols history. He would leave UT as it’s all time leader in total yards, but the impact he left was far greater. Being the first African-American to start a game at QB in the SEC was huge. Others would eventually follow, but he and UT were the trailblazers. The cultural importance of this game makes it legendary.....IMO.

Holloway’s legend began that glorious day. Truly a great win …… In many ways.

9E020393-33A4-4643-B2BE-558A9C9326CF.png

Last edited:
51 days……

The Vols opened the season with a road game in Atlanta with a bunch of new faces on defense, and one really new player on offense. After a hugely successful season in 1971 that had very little offense, and relied on a great defense, most questioned how good UT would be. It was also on National TV.

After going up 3-0, UTs new QB, making his first career start, had the Vols deep in Georgia Tech territory when disaster happened. A quick out was intercepted and seemed to be returned for a score, but the QB that threw it ran down the defender and kept him from scoring. The Vols held and gave up only a game tying FG.

The rest of the game was a route, as the Vols scored the next 31 points to blow out Tech 34-3.

The stats aren’t important, the fact that Tech wasn’t ranked, and UT was favored don’t matter. The impact of this game was because of one person…..Condredge Holloway.

The new QB for UT began a legendary career that day that would make him one of the most beloved and respected players in Vols history. He would leave UT as it’s all time leader in total yards, but the impact he left was far greater. Being the first African-American to start a game at QB in the SEC was huge. Others would eventually follow, but he and UT were the trailblazers. The cultural importance of this game makes it legendary.....IMO.

Once, as a young lad, I met Bob Cousy. I went up to him excitedly, stammered for words, and eventually managed to say, "You're Bob Cousy!" He looked at me the way a doctor with a terminal diagnosis might look at his patient. Sadness, empathy, and concern. He said, solemnly, " I know son." I wanted to say another thing but my mind had been uncoupled completely from my voice box by then, so I stumbled off in embarrassment.

I was thankful for that moment a few years later when me and a buddy happened upon Condredge Holloway in the vast confines of Thompson-Boling. We stayed just at the periphery of his radiative glory for a few minutes as he held court with what I presume were some young recruits. We stood there, listening intently at a respectful distance, but not getting close enough to make fools of ourselves. He walked off with the recruits and my buddy and I turned to each other and said in synch, "That was awesome!" And it really was.

51 days……

View attachment 562605
My earliest memory of watching a Tennessee game on TV. It wasn’t the first but it’s the first one I remember.

Last edited:
50 days……

#50 - 38-36 vs Vanderbilt (1987)

Most think it’s Notre Dame in 1991. But it’s not. The biggest comeback in Vols history is this game.

A stunned Neyland Stadium crowd (including myself) watched the Vols find themselves on the sad side of a 28-3 score to Vanderbilt. That came at 9:03 of the second quarter when Vandy quarterback Eric Jones scored his third touchdown of the game.

The Commodores led by 25 points.

The Vols entered the season finale 8-2-1, a Peach Bowl bid already in hand. Quarterback Jeff Francis was back after missing a couple games, one a Halloween loss at Boston College.

Vandy, coached by Watson Brown, wasn’t good but was riding a three-game win streak and used a troublesome triple-option offense.

The Commodores jumped to a 20-0 lead before the first quarter ended. Tennessee had run five plays, one an interception.

A Phil Reich field goal got the Vols on the scoreboard. Jones then led an 80-yard drive and it was 28-3. By this time, the crowd of 93,306 was booing the home-team offense.

Touchdowns by Terence Cleveland and Reggie Cobb cut the deficit to 28-18 at the half.

Keith Davis scored to open the second half. UT recovered a Vandy fumble on the kickoff return, setting up a William Howard touchdown. The Vols led 32-28 less with 9:49 left in the third quarter – less than 15 minutes of clock time after trailing by 25.

Two more field goals and a Victor Peppers end-zone interception were good to withstand a late Vandy score.

“The ’87 Vols were nothing if not resilient. They had already rallied for wins over Iowa and Kentucky and a tie with Auburn. They would rally again against Indiana in the Peach Bowl.

Instead of dying at four games, a winning streak over Vanderbilt would grow to 22 straight.

Four years later, the Miracle at South Bend would become iconic, due to the setting and opponent. But this one stands as the biggest comeback ever.”

CE639906-1EDF-4F80-9055-536D3C460FAC.png

50 days……

Most think it’s Notre Dame in 1991. But it’s not. The biggest comeback in Vols history is this game.

A stunned Neyland Stadium crowd (including myself) watched the Vols find themselves on the sad side of a 28-3 score to Vanderbilt. That came at 9:03 of the second quarter when Vandy quarterback Eric Jones scored his third touchdown of the game.

The Vols entered the season finale 8-2-1, a Peach Bowl bid already in hand. Quarterback Jeff Francis was back after missing a couple games, one a Halloween loss at Boston College.

Vandy, coached by Watson Brown, wasn’t good but was riding a three-game win streak and used a troublesome triple-option offense.

The Commodores jumped to a 20-0 lead before the first quarter ended. Tennessee had run five plays, one an interception.

A Phil Reich field goal got the Vols on the scoreboard. Jones then led an 80-yard drive and it was 28-3. By this time, the crowd of 93,306 was booing the home-team offense.

Touchdowns by Terence Cleveland and Reggie Cobb cut the deficit to 28-18 at the half.

Keith Davis scored to open the second half. UT recovered a Vandy fumble on the kickoff return, setting up a William Howard touchdown. The Vols led 32-28 less with 9:49 left in the third quarter – less than 15 minutes of clock time after trailing by 25.

Two more field goals and a Victor Peppers end-zone interception were good to withstand a late Vandy score.

“The ’87 Vols were nothing if not resilient. They had already rallied for wins over Iowa and Kentucky and a tie with Auburn. They would rally again against Indiana in the Peach Bowl.

Instead of dying at four games, a winning streak over Vanderbilt would grow to 22 straight.

Four years later, the Miracle at South Bend would become iconic, due to the setting and opponent. But this one stands as the biggest comeback ever.”

View attachment 562867
I feel like this is an underrated season

I wasnt alive, but any 10 win season is a good one.

50 days……

View attachment 562867
The Vols comeback at Notre Dame was the biggest comeback in history at ND. And maybe vs ND anywhere. (Don't know about the latter.)

and the main reason '88 is still a mystery............
That was hell. On the way to 0-6 (I think it was the 4th game) I drove to Knoxville for the LSU game but had forgotten my tickets in another state! The game was on TV and it was raining cats and dogs. Those factors together with our record combined to mean that I was somehow able to get 35 yardline seats on the west side for, iirc, 10 bucks. May have been 5. Money poorly spent. 😂

50 days……

View attachment 562867
I attended that Peach Bowl.

49 days….

#49 - 12-0 vs #7 Alabama (1946)

The Vols came into this game 3-0 and ranked No. 9. Alabama, meanwhile, was in its 16th year under legendary head coach Frank Thomas and had roared off to a 4-0 start to get to No. 6 in the nation. As a result, a top 10 matchup between two undefeated teams was underway.

Well, the Vols dominated in a typical Neyland way, winning 12-0, with Bill Lund scoring both touchdowns. That win propelled them to a 9-1 regular season, their only blemish an upset loss to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, and a split SEC Championship with the Georgia Bulldogs. Alabama stumbled to 7-4, and then Thomas retired, thus beginning a slow descent under Harold Drew.

6AFB04B3-474C-405D-87F7-8E3A6DF5C501.png

48 days…..

#48 - 37-34 vs #5 UCLA (1965)

The first real quarterback for Tennessee football who took every snap behind center, Dewey Warren helped the Vols transition from the single-wing to the T-formation in Doug Dickey’s second year.

In the final regular season game, the 7-1-2 Vols faced of in the “Rosebonnet Bowl” vs UCLA in Memphis.

In a shootout, Warren completed 19-of-27 passes for 274 yards and and two touchdowns. However, his breakout performance in the game came late. With the Vols trailing 34-30 on their own 35-yard line, the legend of Warren the “Swamp Rat” was born.

UT’s sophomore led a 65-yard game-winning drive and got down to the one-yard line. However, the Vols couldn’t get in, and 4th and goal came up. Warren took the ball on an option play and ran in himself for the game-winning touchdown, his second of the day, with 39 seconds. His completions and passing yards were Vol records at the time.

70AD291B-44C9-442E-A634-B52B7EB5F4B4.png

VN Store

Back