Countdown to September 2nd vs UVA. (Top 150 Vols wins)

He was such a great guy. The season before, CRD got my friend and I down on the sidelines for warmups and the entire game when they hosted Ole Miss to open the season in ‘83. Kinda cool for a couple of 13 yr old knuckleheads…..

Growing up in Memphis as a Vol fan I always rooted against the Tigers. Except for when Dockery was coach. He was on his way to establishing a good football program there.

As you said, he was a great guy. I knew one of his sons in college, good guy also.

He was such a great guy. The season before, CRD got my friend and I down on the sidelines for warmups and the entire game when they hosted Ole Miss to open the season in ‘83. Kinda cool for a couple of 13 yr old knuckleheads…..
I think my M-I-L graduated with Rex, have to check on that

edit - is that the game when MS beat ole miss and they carried CRD off the field?

sorry peay - did not mean to get this thread off the rails.... good stuff though!

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf
45 days…..

#45 - 21-7 vs #10 Alabama (1999)

The 5th ranked Vols traveled to Tuscaloosa for the first time in 69 years to face the one loss Tide, and looking for the fifth win in a row in the series.

Alabama jumped out to a 7-0 lead. However, the Vols rebounded to tie it 7-7. The game was a defensive struggle until Tee Martin hit David Martin on a 43 yard TD to give UT a 14-7 lead in the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Martin led Tennessee on a game-breaking drive. Trying to run as much time off the clock as possible while protecting a 14-7 lead, Martin marched the Vols 84 yards in 11 plays.

A personal foul penalty almost spoiled the drive, but Martin’s screen pass to Cedrick Wilson was good for 37 yards to move Tennessee deep into Alabama territory. Two plays later, Martin broke open the game with a 21-yard touchdown run that put Tennessee up 21-7 with 8:26 remaining.

Martin, an Alabama native, ran for two touchdowns, and the Vols won 21-7. It was probably their most impressive win in 1999.
B676FE73-B08B-48D5-B38F-5D8B9728462B.png

45 days…..

The 5th ranked Vols traveled to Tuscaloosa for the first time in 69 years to face the one loss Tide, and looking for the fifth win in a row in the series.

Alabama jumped out to a 7-0 lead. However, the Vols rebounded to tie it 7-7. The game was a defensive struggle until Tee Martin hit David Martin on a 43 yard TD to give UT a 14-7 lead in the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Martin led Tennessee on a game-breaking drive. Trying to run as much time off the clock as possible while protecting a 14-7 lead, Martin marched the Vols 84 yards in 11 plays.

A personal foul penalty almost spoiled the drive, but Martin’s screen pass to Cedrick Wilson was good for 37 yards to move Tennessee deep into Alabama territory. Two plays later, Martin broke open the game with a 21-yard touchdown run that put Tennessee up 21-7 with 8:26 remaining.

Martin, an Alabama native, ran for two touchdowns, and the Vols won 21-7. It was probably their most impressive win in 1999.
View attachment 563838
wasn't that the game that Tee Martin was almost held out of because of some shady criminal turd deal?

Was some kind of wire transfer that bubba waited until a few days before the game to bring to the attention of the ncaa (that is the way I 'member it)

NCAA clears UT in Tee Martin investigation

Yeah. Bubbas had a whole network of people trying to get in the pipeline between family and friends sending money to other team's players so they could report it as a violation and have the proof in the form of a Western Union document.

In real life, no one doing anything shady documents it like that. We know from Jeremy Pruitt's time here how Bama doled out the "fast food".

45 days…..

F1Z9diMWAAI46t5

45 days…..

View attachment 563838

To this day, I have heard Alabama fans say they were stunned how much UT dominated them that day on both lines of scrimmage.

44 days……

#44 - 13-6 vs #6 Georgia Tech (1948)

1947 was a rough year, with UT finishing 5-5 in Coach Neyland’s second year back after the war. 1948 wasn’t starting much better when the 3-2-1 Vols had to travel to Atlanta to face undefeated Georgia Tech.

The Vols came close to beating #3 UNC the week before, so UT had some glimmer of hope to defeat the heavily favored Yellow Jackets.

AFA0D398-991D-477E-9C8B-33BA2C3674E5.png

B6912FA6-BDE6-4BD3-BE92-0D80DAE64C82.png

Last line of the article pictured.
"Tennessee's rugged play not only dealt the Yellow Jackets their first defeat but was also instrumental in two more Jacket losses in the last four weeks of the season"

I'm no historian like some of our esteemed contributors, but I can't help think that was polite sports journalism parlance to say - "they took a country a$s whooping".

Thanks @peaygolf . I love reading gems like these in your posts.

43 days……

#43 - 17-3 vs #11 Georgia (1969)

The 3rd ranked Vols traveled to Athens to face the 5-1 Bulldogs, with SEC Championship and National title hopes.

A steady rain soaked the field and caused UT a lot of trouble in the first quarter. Poor punts and several fumbles caused the Vols to play defensive. Fortunately, UTs defense kept the Dawgs out of the end zone, and only trailed 3-0.

From the second quarter on, the Vols took over with a pounding running game. UT scored two quick TDs by Curt Watson and Don McLeary to take a 14-3 lead.

In the second half, UT continued the onslaught, pounding the Georgia line with Watson and McLeary. George Hunt added a FG to give UT a huge 17-3 road win.

Curt Watson was virtually unstoppable, rushing for a then school record 197 yards on only 19 carries, breaking 15 tackles during the game. The win put UT square in the driver’s seat for the championships they so desired. The loss spun Georgia out of control and they didn’t win another game the rest of the season. A bad loss later on killed UTs national championship dreams, but the win in Georgia helped secure the SEC championship.

02F89973-0C3B-402C-B2AF-4E587F1A80BB.png

42 days.......

#42 - 38-28 vs #19 Florida (2016)

Tennessee came out and laid an egg in the first half at Neyland Stadium. The Volunteers trailed the Gators, 21-3 at halftime and it looked like another miserable game for the Volunteers against the Gators.
This was a tale of two halves, as Tennessee came out and destroyed Jim McElwain’s Gators. Florida managed only eight yards of total offense in the third quarter. Tennessee outscored Florida, 14-0 in the third quarter to make it 21-17 Florida entering the deciding fourth quarter.

Florida looked strong early, but couldn’t overcome the inefficiencies of backup quarterback Austin Appleby, who had to start in place of the injured Luke Del Rio. Tennessee leaned on a resurgent defense led by defensive end Derek Barnett.

Quarterback Joshua Dobbs overcame a dreadful first half to be the best player on the field in this SEC East rivalry game. Dobbs had a fantastic second half for the Volunteers. He led Tennessee to its first win over Florida in 12 years. Dobbs completed 16 of his 32 passes for 319 yards, four touchdowns, and two interceptions. On the ground, he had 17 rushes for 80 yards and a touchdown. Dobbs 67 yard TD to Jauan Jennings nailed the coffin shut, as UT ended 11 years of misery vs the Gators.

CtNOPSdWEAE_hVh.jpg:large

I hate to say it but I had to leave this game at the half. I developed heat related illness and once we got into car and AC I perked up. We stopped at Puelo's in Strawberry Plains and ended up watching the rest of the game there. I still say my leaving turned them around.

I hate to say it but I had to leave this game at the half. I developed heat related illness and once we got into car and AC I perked up. We stopped at Puelo's in Strawberry Plains and ended up watching the rest of the game there. I still say my leaving turned them around.

I hate to admit this...............after this game, I really thought, "Butch might be the guy.":mad::(:confused::rolleyes:

42 days.......

#42 - 38-28 vs #19 Florida (2016)

Tennessee came out and laid an egg in the first half at Neyland Stadium. The Volunteers trailed the Gators, 21-3 at halftime and it looked like another miserable game for the Volunteers against the Gators.
This was a tale of two halves, as Tennessee came out and destroyed Jim McElwain’s Gators. Florida managed only eight yards of total offense in the third quarter. Tennessee outscored Florida, 14-0 in the third quarter to make it 21-17 Florida entering the deciding fourth quarter.

Florida looked strong early, but couldn’t overcome the inefficiencies of backup quarterback Austin Appleby, who had to start in place of the injured Luke Del Rio. Tennessee leaned on a resurgent defense led by defensive end Derek Barnett.

Quarterback Joshua Dobbs overcame a dreadful first half to be the best player on the field in this SEC East rivalry game. Dobbs had a fantastic second half for the Volunteers. He led Tennessee to its first win over Florida in 12 years. Dobbs completed 16 of his 32 passes for 319 yards, four touchdowns, and two interceptions. On the ground, he had 17 rushes for 80 yards and a touchdown. Dobbs 67 yard TD to Jauan Jennings nailed the coffin shut, as UT ended 11 years of misery vs the Gators.

CtNOPSdWEAE_hVh.jpg:large
Outside of the dominate 2nd half of that game being so much fun, one memory that stands out was when the entire stadium was booing Butch heading into the locker room before the half. Worst clock management coach in all of football.

VN Store

Back