Countdown to September 2nd vs UVA. (Top 150 Vols wins)

Guns N Roses concert tonight…….
#6 will be in the morning…..

Peaygolf got a late night

EDIT: I ain’t that tired….I got this!:cool:
View attachment 572693
Our two sons splurged their way to Jerry's House last Friday (18th) to meet up with their sister (Houston, NASA employee) and husband to see Metallica/Pantera on Friday night, then Metallica/Five Finger Death Punch on Sunday night. Sandwiched in between was Ted Nugent at Billy Bob's on Saturday! I commented to a workmate that I couldn't name "ONE" Metallica song, to which he replied, "You just did."
From the photos, the place was packed for both dates, and a good time was had by all. But I digress:

I've attended a couple-few dozen UT games over the years, and the memories still linger, but fade. Through your stories of these games, and of course, the "Top Players" renditions from last summer, the memories spring back to clarity, as though live. I'm thankful for these little stories about such huge moments of watching, and most-especially listening to ("Thank You, John") our beloved Vols.

#6 - 38-20 vs #1 Auburn (1985)

Big bad Bo came to town with Sports Illustrated wanting to do a write up on him and his Tigers. “Stop the Presses.” The Vols had other plans.

“Tony Robinson passed for 259 yards and four touchdowns as Tennessee rolled to a 38-20 victory over No. 1-ranked Auburn.”

“Robinson, who had a 39-yard run in a 76-yard scoring drive on Tennessee’s first possession, had two touchdown passes following Auburn turnovers. The other two came in the fourth quarter. He finished with 17 completions in 30 attempts.”

“Tennessee’s defense clamped a lid on the nation’s leading offense, which couldn’t get on track until it trailed, 24-0, going into the final quarter.”

“Charles Wilson scored Tennessee’s first touchdown a three-yard run before Robinson, the nation’s total offense leader, went to work in the air.

Robinson’s first touchdown pass was a 37-yarder to Tim McGee. It came one play after Tennessee’s Fred Bennett forced Auburn quarterback Jeff Burger to pitch poorly behind Jackson, and Terry Brown recovered for Tennessee.”

“Another errant Auburn pitchout, this one by quarterback Bobby Walden, was recovered by the Volunteers’ Bobby Scott at the Tennessee 39. The Volunteers, sparked by freshman Keith Davis’ 24-yard run to the Auburn 16, scored eight plays later on Robinson’s four-yard pass to Vince Cater.”

“Carlos Reveiz kicked a 28-yard field goal to give a 24-0 halftime lead.”

“Robinson’s fourth-quarter touchdown passes went to Joey Clinkscales for 10 yards with 11:28 remaining and to Eric Swanson for 30 yards with 7:06 remaining.”

“The Volunteer defense held Auburn star Bo Jackson to only 80 yards in 17 carries, well below his 247.5 average in the first two games.”

The victory was epic. It’s the last time, and only the second time in school history, that UT has beaten the #1 ranked team in the country.

What followed was a season for the ages. The ‘85 team will go down as one of the most beloved teams in UT history…..and it really started with this victory.

View attachment 572697View attachment 572698
That SI cover is awesome: "The Tennesee Waltz"

11 days……

#11 - 35-28 vs #2 Alabama (1982)

Eleven years. That’s a long losing streak, and it finally ended in 1982.

Through most of the first half, all signs pointed to another Bama victory. A 52 yard touchdown pass from Alan Cockrell kept UTs hopes alive, as the Vols trailed 21-13 at the half.

In the second half, Fuad Reveiz kicked 2 FGs and Cockrell hit Mike Miller on a 39 yard pass (plus a 2 pt conversion) to give UT a 27-21 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Midway through the 4th, tailback Chuck Coleman broke free and scampered 34 yards for a touchdown. Another 2 pt conversion gave UT a 35-21 lead.

Bama quickly marched down and scored, cutting the lead to 7 with 5 minutes left.

Alabama would threaten again in the last 90 seconds. They moved to the Tennessee 17, where quarterback Walter Lewis attempted a pass to Lee Jenkins in the end zone. But defensive back Mike Terry intercepted the pass as it slipped off Jenkins' fingertips. Many in the crowd of 95,500 streamed onto the field to pull down the goal posts.

It is the only UT/Bama game I have ever attended…….and what a day it was.

View attachment 571453

Wow, peay - you were there and only have this one at #11!?! I honestly figured this game for top 5-6.

I was one of those on the first goal post pulled down. We carried it down to Cumberland, then up to the players' dorm and dumped it near the Rock. No one had thought of the Tennessee River then.

What down was it when the pass was intercepted? Any idea? I was thinking they had four chances in the red zone but that might be a dramatized recollection. lol.

Either 2nd or 3rd down. There was a pass into the end zone in the same series batted away at the last second.

Cumberland Ave. was wild that night. The cops were letting open beers on the street, and it was total bedlam - but I saw no fights or anyone hurt. I bought a t-shirt on the street that said "We Beat Bama ... and The Bear Sh**t", wish I still had it. I lived in Fort Sanders a few blocks up from Cumberland, and got in at about 3am, woke up around 8 and the noise was still going on. Crazy day and night.

Last edited:
Wow, peay - you were there and only have this one at #11!?! I honestly figured this game for top 5-6.

I was one of those on the first goal post pulled down. We carried it down to Cumberland, then up to the players' dorm and dumped it near the Rock. No one had thought of the Tennessee River then.
I know:oops:.........In my heart....it's #1 for me, but I have to look at the BIG picture.

I'm pretty sure I already did that one..............;)

BTW.....I ain't saying:p
You mentioned it in games against Andy and Bammaw that you selected, and also in a separate post you made about the 1914 black unis. That's pretty covered.

5 days……

#5 - 52-49 vs #3 Alabama (2022)

When 15 years of misery ends, celebrations occur, fireworks explode, cigars are smoked, and goal posts are tossed in rivers……

UT had already beaten Pitt and exercised the demon which is Florida, but could they possibly be good enough to beat the mighty Tide?

Thanks to Hendon Hooker and Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee jumped out to a 21-7 first-quarter lead and led 28-20 at halftime.

The game was back-and-forth from there, with Alabama taking its first lead, 35-34, with 4:27 in the third quarter. The Tide then took a 49-42 lead with a Dallas Turner fumble return for a touchdown with 7:49 in the fourth quarter.

But Tennessee scored the final 10 points of the game, a 13-yard pass to Hyatt with 3:13 left in the game to tie it at 49-49. The Tide drove all the way to the Tennessee 32-yard line, but three straight incompletions followed by a missed 50-yard field goal by Will Reichard gave Tennessee the ball back with 15 seconds remaining.

Hooker connected with Ramel Keyton and Bru McCoy for 18 and 27 yards, respectively, to get down to the Alabama 23. From there, Chase McGrath etched his name in the annals of Tennessee lore with a 40 yard knuckleball to win the game 52-49.

Hooker and Hyatt were nearly unstoppable for Tennessee, connecting for six catches, 207 yards and five touchdowns. Hooker finished the day completing 21 of 30 passes for 385 yards and five touchdowns to one interception.

Note:

Where will this win be ranked in 5 years, or 10? Who knows. This might be the biggest ever, or, just a great win over a top 5 team. It depends on the football programs continued trajectory. Either way, as of today, it’s #5 in my book.

C5216470-3448-4968-A0A7-FC389A673589.png

Last edited:
The hair on my arms still rises when thinking about before the '82 Bama game when the Vols, who had warmed up in the standard home orange/white, ran through the Power T in all orange, just an electrifying moment, only to be topped when Bama fumbled on the first play from scrimmage. To this day I've never heard a stadium that loud.
There is a Vol record from that game that still stands today. Does anyone know what Vol it was and the record ?

5 days……

When 15 years of misery ends, celebrations occur, fireworks explode, cigars are smoked, and goal posts are tossed in rivers……

UT had already beaten Pitt and exercised the demon which is Florida, but could they possibly be good enough to beat the mighty Tide?

Thanks to Hendon Hooker and Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee jumped out to a 21-7 first-quarter lead and led 28-20 at halftime.

The game was back-and-forth from there, with Alabama taking its first lead, 35-34, with 4:27 in the third quarter. The Tide then took a 49-42 lead with a Dallas Turner fumble return for a touchdown with 7:49 in the fourth quarter.

But Tennessee scored the final 10 points of the game, a 13-yard pass to Hyatt with 3:13 left in the game to tie it at 49-49. The Tide drove all the way to the Tennessee 32-yard line, but three straight incompletions followed by a missed 50-yard field goal by Will Reichard gave Tennessee the ball back with 15 seconds remaining.

Hooker connected with Ramel Keyton and Bru McCoy for 18 and 27 yards, respectively, to get down to the Alabama 23. From there, Chase McGrath etched his name in the annals of Tennessee lore with a 40 yard knuckleball to win the game 52-49.

Hooker and Hyatt were nearly unstoppable for Tennessee, connecting for six catches, 207 yards and five touchdowns. Hooker finished the day completing 21 of 30 passes for 385 yards and five touchdowns to one interception.

Note:

Where will this win be ranked in 5 years, or 10? Who knows. This might be the biggest ever, or, just a great win over a top 5 team. It depends on the football programs continued trajectory. Either way, as of today, it’s #5 in my book.

View attachment 573011
@Freak, may I be allowed to like the above post twice?

Cumberland Ave. was wild that night. The cops were letting open beers on the street, and it was total bedlam - but I saw no fights or anyone hurt. I bought a t-shirt on the street that said "We Beat Bama ... and The Bear Sh**t", wish I still had it. I lived in Fort Sanders a few blocks up from Cumberland, and got in at about 3am, woke up around 8 and the noise was still going on. Crazy day and night.

No sheep was safe that night.

Reactions: sami
Honestly, when Bama went up in the 4th with just 7 minutes to go in the game my BVS kicked into overdrive and I really thought the men would fold...then I was proven wrong and shown that this team, this coaching staff, and this culture is different than what we've had in the past decade and a half. These men were not going to quit !!!

On a side note, roughly 21 and a half years prior to this game, I met a beautiful young gal from Southern Indiana and made her my wife. One of the only strikes against her at that time was her lack of understanding and desire for the game of college football. I slowly brought her around to not only the game, but my Tennessee Volunteers. I knew that fateful night in 2022 I had fully converted her when Reichard's field goal missed the mark and from the other end of the couch 5'3" of dynamite exploded with the phrase "We got 15 seconds...we got 15 seconds...they left us 15 seconds...that's too much time...we're going to win !!!"...what a night indeed.

5 days……

Note:

View attachment 573011
I was wondering this whole time where you were going to rank this game. I have been waiting for it. The one thing I will never forget is Nick Satan could NOT figure out how to cover Hyatt. 5 TD's in one game... Instant Tennessee folklore. O yea, Satan losing his mind because one his players made a bone headed play and tried to pick up the ball on a punt and we covered it... Carry on the national championship games from here.

12 days……

#12 - 14-13 vs #1 LSU (1959)

The ‘59 Vols started 4-1-1, with a victory over #3 Auburn, and were ranked #13 when the #1 ranked defending national champions visited for homecoming.

The Tigers were riding a 19 game winning streak and had All-American Billy Cannon.

The Vols offense struggled all day, but the defense more than held their own. Jim Cartwright intercepted a Tiger pass in the 3rd quarter and returned it 59 yards for the Vols first points. Later in the quarter, Ken Sadler recovered a LSU fumble at the Tiger 30. Four plays later Neyle Sollee scored on a 14 yard run to put UT ahead 14-7.

In the final quarter, LSU scored after Bill Majors fumbled a punt and decided to go for two and the lead. What happened next is etched in Tennessee football history and lore…”The Stop.” Bill Majors, Charley Severance, and Wayne Grubb stopped Billy Cannon inches short of the goal-line, preserving the 14-13 lead.

Still, trailing just 14-13, LSU drove to the Tennessee football 20-yard line with a chance to kick a game-winning field goal. However, in a miracle, Cannon fumbled the ball. The Vols recovered and held on for a shocking 14-13 victory.

The Vols would inexplicably lose the final three games of the season and finish 5-4-1, but giving the #1 ranked team and defending champs their only loss of the season will always be considered one of the greatest wins in UT history. It’s also only one of the two times the Vols have defeated the #1 ranked team.View attachment 571159

801653_t607.JPG

Attachments

• 801653_t607.JPG
    801653_t607.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 4
Brad Nessler said it best: “The kick heard ‘round the State of Tennessee and all of college football!” One kick by Chase McGrath on the Third Saturday in October restored the Tennessee brand and brought Tennessee back to prominence!

That post game replay call of “it wasn’t pretty, but it was beautiful” will forever be in my brain.

4 days……

#4 - 35-27 vs Vanderbilt (1951)

On the final Saturday of the 1951 season, the undefeated Vols faced 6-3 Vanderbilt at Shields-Watkins Field with a National Championship on the line. Vandy “asked no quarter, and gave none.”

A matchup between Vanderbilt’s passing game vs Tennessee’s ground game turned into one of the greatest battles in the rivalry’s history.

With All-American Hank Lauricella only gaining 32 yards rushing, and spending most of the game watching from the bench, the Vols turned to Andy Kozar and Harold “Herky” Payne to shoulder the pain. Kozar would finish with 111 yards on 19 carries, while Payne netted 68 yards on 15 touches. UT attempted 1 pass, which was completed for 5 yards.

With Payne’s second quarter TD, UT went ahead 14-0 at the half. When the Vols scored again early in the third quarter to go up 21-0, the crowd settled in for an easy victory. The problem was, Bill Wade and Vandy had different plans.

Wade, the ‘Dores all everything QB, lead Vandy to three third quarter TDs, but a missed extra point kept UT in the lead 21-20.

Herky Payne’s second TD early in the fourth quarter put UT ahead 28-20, but Vanderbilt wasn’t finished. Wade, who threw for 251 yards drive Vandy down for another touchdown, cutting the lead to 28-27.

The Vols then mounted a long, time consuming drive, that culminated in a Andy Kozar 2 yard touchdown in the waning seconds to give UT a 35-27 victory.

The win gave UT it’s first undefeated regular season since 1940 and it’s 20 win in a row. But more importantly, the victory gave Tennessee it’s first consensus National Championship in school history.
B06B3E7D-85DF-4467-8FAD-607514652484.png

4 days……

#4 - 35-27 vs Vanderbilt (1951)

On the final Saturday of the 1951 season, the undefeated Vols faced 6-3 Vanderbilt at Shields-Watkins Field with a National Championship on the line. Vandy “asked no quarter, and gave none.”

A matchup between Vanderbilt’s passing game vs Tennessee’s ground game turned into one of the greatest battles in the rivalry’s history.

With All-American Hank Lauricella only gaining 32 yards rushing, and spending most of the game watching from the bench, the Vols turned to Andy Kozar and Harold “Herky” Payne to shoulder the pain. Kozar would finish with 111 yards on 19 carries, while Payne netted 68 yards on 15 touches. UT attempted 1 pass, which was completed for 5 yards.

With Payne’s second quarter TD, UT went ahead 14-0 at the half. When the Vols scored again early in the third quarter to go up 21-0, the crowd settled in for an easy victory. The problem was, Bill Wade and Vandy had different plans.

Wade, the ‘Dores all everything QB, lead Vandy to three third quarter TDs, but a missed extra point kept UT in the lead 21-20.

Herky Payne’s second TD early in the fourth quarter put UT ahead 28-20, but Vanderbilt wasn’t finished. Wade, who threw for 251 yards drive Vandy down for another touchdown, cutting the lead to 28-27.

The Vols then mounted a long, time consuming drive, that culminated in a Andy Kozar 2 yard touchdown in the waning seconds to give UT a 35-27 victory.

The win gave UT it’s first undefeated regular season since 1940 and it’s 20 win in a row. But more importantly, the victory gave Tennessee it’s first consensus National Championship in school history.
View attachment 573456
Stupid question here, but based on Vandy kicking an EP down 2 late in the game, I guess the 2 point conversion was introduced later?

Reactions: Orange.

VN Store

Back