Countdown to the real kickoff

milohimself

RIP CITY
So with all this Florida talk, I thought it would be healthy to make this thread.

So, yada yada, we got kickoff with UAB on 9/3. But we all know the game in the Swamp is when the Vols' REAL season starts. And since the conversation is spilling over into other threads (that may be about JCrompton or whatever) let's just take it all out in here.

This thread is specifically for the purpose of talkin' about the Florida game. If you wanna talk smack, go for it. Just keep it clean, no shots below the belt. No personal shots, especially. If it happens, you will be dealt with out back in a damp alley.

GO

florida exposes a weak secondary, ut exposes a weak rush defense, claussen doesnt start after this game. florida 24 ut 14

What? We defend poorly against the run? Man, we have arguably the best defensive line in the whole country! You gotta be kidding.

wow. I have read that we have the best rush defense in the nation and you say something like that. Then we got Simon and gaither at linebacker and you want to talk about weak rush defense. man o man.

Thats OK, let them think UT can't rush the passer! If you break down position by position Tennessee has the edge. BUT I think it will come down to who can run the football better, it will be close and I like Tennessee in a close game.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 24, 2005 3:53 AM
What? We defend poorly against the run? Man, we have arguably the best defensive line in the whole country! You gotta be kidding.
[snapback]117557[/snapback]​

Read the post again. He's saying UT's secondary is weak, and Florida's rush defense is weak.

That isnt weak either. Our secondary is going to be extremly good this year. I really think that heffney, Fellows, and Allen are going to own the field.

Based on the numbers from last year, our secondary is a weak link. Jason Allen is by far the best back there. The others have alot to prove, as they were torched time and again.

You have to remember that we had mostly freshamn back there. They have all returend. Players do improve on there weaknesses you know. I don't think they have just been sitting around. Its funny, on this site everyone says our secondary is weak but every where i read magazines, the internet, every where says they are going to be a top 5 secondary this year. So who should I listen to?

Don't listen to anybody. Just watch the field.

I want to believe the magazines, but I also know what I saw at the end of last year. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

UT lost some solid players off a solid team last year, I dont see how theyre all of a sudden going to be spectacular. We'll see though, I may be wrong, but I think UF wins.

1. our secondary wont be weak. it seemed weak last year, because when teams couldnt run, they passed all day. this was against a secondary that was very young and inexperienced. they now have experience under the belt and alot more depth. with the dline being as strong as it is, more lbers will be in coverage and we can hurt them both ways.

2. i sure as hell hope that the players and coaches arent using the "florida is when our real season starts" attitude or we may go into the swamp 0-1.

we lost brown, munoz, respert, houston, davis, larkins, mcclure, prugh, neal, burnett, and colquitt. none were that big a loss imo. maybe respert. all the rest have been replaced and for the most part, upgraded. other than maybe colquitt.

Originally posted by vols2345@Jul 24, 2005 12:52 PM
who did they lose??????
[snapback]117617[/snapback]​

For starters, all-everything Michael Munoz, plus one of the top punters in the nation- Dustin Colquitt, a 1,000 yrds rush guy in Cedric Houston, Jason Respert who along with Munoz made a very solid o-line, and the heart and soul of the D-Kevin Burnett.....Those are some that come to mind.

burnett was a bad tackler. our starters at lb were j mitch, burnett, and gaither. we replace burnett with simon. simon is also a better leader, maybe not so cocky as well. all everything munoz wasnt even the 2nd best tackle on the team last year. toe and sears were better. he was also injured half the year. no big loss there. as i said before, respert will be a significant loss until we find a for sure replacement. cedric houston wasnt even the starter last year. we had a platoon at rb with riggs starting. riggs will be a feature back this year with backups, im much happier with that than a platoon. colquitt was good, but we have his brother. punting is in his blood. he will be just as good. and dustin had a bad year last year.

dont try to tell me that florida didnt lose any players from last year.

Did i say that?

UF lost Fason, Crowder, Small, Leach.

Those are probably the key losses. We bring back a lot of tallent, something you guys dont believe. Just because we lost 5 games last season (due in large part to pour coaching) you think that translates to our tallent level. We're as tallented as anyone in the country, and with good coaching, we could very well win the SEC. Those that think UF sucks are in for a BIG suprise.

Originally posted by orangetd88@Jul 24, 2005 1:45 PM
Read the post again.  He's saying UT's secondary is weak, and Florida's rush defense is weak.
[snapback]117591[/snapback]​

Yeah, you're right. However, our secondary isn't going to be that weak either. I mean, we DID win 10 games last year with the same group of guys. I don't expect them to be any worse.

no, im not saying u guys dont bring back alot of talent. im saying that if ur basing ur prediction for a florida win on ut losing alot from last year, ur in for a surprise as well. the last i heard um was bashing his rbs. fason would help that. ive also heard ur lb corps is very thin. crowder would help that. if ut loses, it wont be because they lost some players from last year.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 24, 2005 4:47 AM
florida exposes a weak secondary, ut exposes a weak rush defense, claussen doesnt start after this game. florida 24 ut 14
[snapback]117555[/snapback]​

That is the scenario yr after yr...UF throws all over the UT secondary and UT runs it down UF's throat. I will be curious to see how the rushing of UF will be this yr in that game.

Thats not what im basing my prediction on hv. Our rbs will be fine, well have a solid platoon if noone steps up into the starters roll. I also think leak will put up great #s and that will open up the running game that much more. We are thin at lb but for the most part we are very tallented, if we dont hit the injury bug, well be just fine, I also think a couple of freshmen are capable of stepping up and getting some pt (jon demps, calvin "pig" baker)

Hay gang, you gotta remember that this is the Florida game. I really hate that it is in the Swamp. You all know that when we get in these big SEC games the score usually isn't lopsided.

I think that this one will be very close and that the fourth quarter will once again determine the winner. This game WILL tell the nation just how good our Vols are and I, for one, think they are going to get it done.

This game will probably be all about PRESSURE and whoever handles it best will emerge with the W. So, I predict that the final result will be Phil-1, Weiner-0.

i understand all of this and what not, and im not a big stats believer. but u cant argue with the fact that in almost every matchup between these two in the past so many games, the team that wins the rushing match, wins the game. thats why i think ut will win. grind it out and control the tempo. that will kill a fast paced offense and defense.

I think the corners are going to excellent but the safety positions are of big concern. UT will have talent at saftey like last yr but will they play up to their talent? To defend Meyers' offense the safeties play a big part in the defense. Anyway, I know Chavis will have them ready.

VN Store

Back