Countdown to the real kickoff

Very true...UF just needs to close out games, we would have went undefeated last year if we could have just closed out games...I think if we can win the 4th Quarter, UF wins

Originally posted by hvwarrior58@Jul 24, 2005 3:22 PM
but u cant argue with the fact that in almost every matchup between these two in the past so many games, the team that wins the rushing match, wins the game.
[snapback]117645[/snapback]​

Thats why it is important for UF to jump out and take the lead to force UT to pass the ball more instead of it's strength in running the ball.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 24, 2005 11:58 AM
For starters, all-everything Michael Munoz, plus one of the top punters in the nation- Dustin Colquitt, a 1,000 yrds rush guy in Cedric Houston, Jason Respert who along with Munoz made a very solid o-line, and the heart and soul of the D-Kevin Burnett.....Those are some that come to mind.
[snapback]117622[/snapback]​

Michael Munoz was overrated. He didn't really help us a great deal. Respert is a tough loss. Yeah, losing Dustin hurts. I mean he's a punter that went in the second round of the NFL Draft for God's sake. But we do have his little brother Britton stepping in. That whole family is great at punting; known as the kickin' Colquitts. Cedric Houston was tough, but his handles weren't that great. Too many fumbles. Riggs is even better, and we have even more talented runners lined up behind him. Kevin Burnett was also a tough loss.

The truth is we didn't really have all that many losses that hurt that much. We've still got a deep roster at most positions. I am still, however worried about two things in particular:

Our offensive line - It has been riddled with injuries, and we will be in deep deep trouble if it does not hold up.

Our secondary - It's not that our guys weren't talented. They read well and are quick, but what I saw last season was nothing but poor fundamentals. If Chavis got them hitting a lot over the summer, we will be okay. If not, it will be more of the same from last year.

exactly, thats why i think tempo and momentum will be the biggest players in this game. if ut can hold the tempo, it will be hard for florida to do much, and vice versa. if ut allows uf to make big momentum plays, ie big passes and big int returns, this will be a long game for the big orange. the winners of the 4th quarter will prolly win, i doubt it will be over by then.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Jul 24, 2005 3:27 PM
Thats why it is important for UF to jump out and take the lead to force UT to pass the ball more instead of it's strength in running the ball.

[snapback]117655[/snapback]​

Well, that could be bad for UF too. With Ainge/Clausen and our stable of talented WR's..... :thumbsup:

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 24, 2005 12:26 PM
Very true...UF just needs to close out games, we would have went undefeated last year if we could have just closed out games...I think if we can win the 4th Quarter, UF wins
[snapback]117653[/snapback]​

That's what I thought, too... The Zooker ended up beating himself instead of getting beat by the other team. Watching his teams utterly break down in the fourth quarter was stunning. Florida would have been 10-2 with a Division Championship last year if Zook could hold it together for the last five minutes of a game.

He didn't so :eek:lol:

But still.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 24, 2005 3:32 PM
That's what I thought, too... The Zooker ended up beating himself instead of getting beat by the other team. Watching his teams utterly break down in the fourth quarter was stunning. Florida would have been 10-2 with a Division Championship last year if Zook could hold it together for the last five minutes of a game.

He didn't so :eek:lol:

But still.
[snapback]117665[/snapback]​

Another reason I thought UF should go with a new DC since they were going with a new coach and system.

Why is it that noone remebers that we also have Antwan Stewart back. He was considered to be about as good as Jason Allen before the injury and will feel the SS position as well as Allen did last year while Allen shines at CB. The other two spots will be filled by a couple of freshman All-Americans. Meanwhile, expect a little more consistency from the backups as they realize that playing time is at a premium with so many talented players trying to get on the field.

It will be a blow out. Tn by at leat two touchdowns and Leak won't finish the game...Why?...Hyperdoom!..If the Gators don't perform thier first series flawlessly, all the hype over the past year turns the other way and panic will set in. Don't expect a new coach and a new offense to suddenly make the team into gator gods. The Gators are going to be shocked by thier ineptness...watch and see...the WHOLE WORLD WILL BE WATCHING!

Did any of you see Utah play last year? This game is going to be one of the best games of the year. If Florida has his (Urban) system down by this game then the Vols will be in for a knock out, drag out game. I can also see Florida not prepared and making alot of mistakes. Then UT goes to Louisiana feeling very cocky. That would be a good thing. This is gonna be one hell of a season. I see two very good games against UF and LSU. Then I see UGA coming into Neyland and getting their butts thumped.

UT was just not prepared for UF's new offense.
UF just isn't on the same page yet and by the end of the year they will be damn good.
These are two of the best teams in the country.

We will soon find out.

Attachments

• differ.jpg
    differ.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 7
I was talking with Gatorville, and he said that Urban is going to throw in a big mix of everything. Good amount of straightforward passing, a little mixup passing, some option, some up-the-gut rushing. Should be interesting to see.

Milo that has to put alot of pressure on thier offensive line. Pass blocking for the drop back, then changing up for the option or up the middle running plays. I doubt with a new offense that Leak will be audibling many changes at the line of scrimmage but I could be wrong..no doubt about it though, thier offense will have alot more to think about than ours.

Yes, but I think they will know what to do. 5 of their 6 WR's listed on the 1st and 2nd strings of the depth chart are juniors or seniors, and Meyer should have Leak ready to go, backed up by two junior running backs. The skill positions should be able to grasp the offense well enough. On the line, they are returning 3 of 5 and have 4 seniors.

The Gators have an offense that can compete with the best of them, but what has made them bad recently is Zook's defense in the fourth quarter. I don't think that Meyer is stupid enough to go and try some crazy option format against us, but I do expect him to throw a number of curve balls. But I think he will play it a bit more straight forward than we expect. Florida's passing game will be top-notch and a very hard test for our DBacks.

If any team has a chance to beat us next season, it will be a team that plays a relatively straight-forward game and that focuses on capitalizing mistakes. Zook failed miserably at doing that by creating mistakes of his own, but I expect Meyer to be sharper than that.

I still say we win, but only by a narrow margin solely on the merits of our ability to keep the offensive play up on the same level as the Gators. And maybe a little help from the d-line.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Jul 24, 2005 2:13 PM
That is the scenario yr after yr...UF throws all over the UT secondary and UT runs it down UF's throat. I will be curious to see how the rushing of UF will be this yr in that game.
[snapback]117633[/snapback]​

Bingo!

Right again my scaled friend. Off the top of my head I believe the winner of the last 13 of 15 UF/UT games was the team who ran for the most yards.

Even when Florida threw the ball a lot, they still have to out gain UT on the ground to have enough success to win the game.

If UT's running game is anywhere near what it's supposed to be, Meyer's offense will have difficulty seeing enough time to get their rythym.

I see a 14-17 point UT win this year. Florida will still be adjusting to a new coach, new schemes, and I just honestly think this is one year that we have quite a good edge in the skills positions.

QB - Ainge/Clausen vs Leak Leak gets an edge in experience, but he doesn't play that well in a lot of the big games.

RB - Riggs makes this a big edge in UT's favor

Receivers - I think Florida has an edge in the starters, but I believe UT has the edge top to bottom in the receiver department. These days fresh legs are so very important. When you can plug in a fresh wideout to replace a guy who just ran a 50 yard deep route and see no drop in talent it is a big advantage.

As in most contests, the defense will probably be the difference.

I think UT has far and away the best defense. The Vols have the best front 7 in college football this year.

Leak will see more of Jesse and company than he ever thought possible.

Our defensive rush will make our secondary look a lot better than they are, and I think they'll be greatly improved over last season.

UT 34 Gators 17

But when it's all said and done, it'll be who ran the ball the best. I like our chances in that department.

Would I be too simple minded if I think the game will be decided on turnovers? Seems like that is usually the case when UT-uf get together. Let's just hope for dry weather. :dunno:

I think our secondary will get lit up, but then again when was the last time the Gators didn't light up our secondary? Maybe '03, '92, and '90, but almost every year other than those we give up 300+ passing yards--even in 1998.

That's the way UT/FLA games always are. The key has always been turnovers, and UT's running game. All the reporters and analysts like to point out how the team that wins the rushing totals usually wins, but I think it is more accurate to say that UT wins whenever we can run it effectively and keep the Gators passing attack from getting too far out of control. If we can run, and don't turn it over, we win. If we can't, they get too many points through the passing game and win.

I'd like to think that Meyer's offense will be slower earlier in the year for this game. Ironic, because I always felt UT's offense got better as the year went along, and usually wished we could play FLA later in the year.

I think UT wins the turnover battle, being the more veteran team with the more established system. I also think Riggs will be effective enough to control the ground game, move the sticks, and allow Ainge to hit enough big passes to Meach and Co. to get the win.

Vols by a touchdown, 31 - 21.

Not sure when the last time was that UT brought an All-American db into the game against Fla. And with another one on the D-Line I think that will be too much for a new passing offense. And I believe the balance that UTs offence will bring will prevent Fla from concentrating enough on either. Fla should be good, but not early enough to stop UT.

UT 31-17.

you guys forget that even though leak is extremely good, erik ainge can rival that and keep it level if the running game falters a little. remember last years florida game, brent schaffer started and we were playing catchup but ainge cought up and took over, as a freshman. then how many freshman quarterbacks win between the hedges. this kid could play as good as leak in this game.

some stats

freshman year leak- 187 yards a game

ainge- 162 but that is when he split a bunch of time with schaffer. 50-50 the first 4 weeks before gettin hurt in game 8 for the rest of the season.

now lets compare ainge and manning stats

freshman year

Manning- 1141 yds 11 touchdowns 6 interceptions

Ainge- 1452 yds 17 touchdowns 9 interceptions (again while playing half of the year.)

not so surprising they called him little peyton.

im not kidding this guy could star 3000 yards this year may be a little stretch because we run a lot, but he can throw when needs too, and when riggs is gone, we could have a nother peyton. (okay maybe not that good but good)

We'll just wait and find out on Ainge. He's on track to be the next Peyton but we will have to wait and find out.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 26, 2005 2:12 PM
We'll just wait and find out on Ainge. He's on track to be the next Peyton but we will have to wait and find out.
[snapback]118343[/snapback]​

Agreed. I can honestly say that Ainge probably has as much natural ability than Peyton. He is a better overall athlete, and he may even have a stronger arm, but those aren't the qualities that made Peyton a should of been Heisman winner.

Peyton has a tremendous work ethic; he got better every year he was at UT. He studied more game film than the coaches (Todd Helton nicknamed him "data" his freshman year because he knew so much information). If Ainge shows he has these traits, as well as more leadership, then he very well could be right up there with Peyton when it's all said and done.

We'll wait and see. His work ethic in high school was not tremendous, but that could've changed by now.

Over the past years, whoever runs the ball best wins!

Bottom line.....Urbans Meyers offense is not suited for SEC Football. How many times is Leak gonna keep the ball after he keeps getting punished by our defense. I do not forsee the game being a blowout. Florida has never been or never will be a push over. The minute our bous think that, we will get Spurrier-ed like the old days.

Florida's offense will be good, but can they stop our offense?

Stay tuned........

Attachments

• fluffy.bmp
    315.1 KB · Views: 6
How do you figure Urbans O isnt suited for the SEC game? ITs dominated the rest of the country for 4 years. Hell change up a few things given his talent. How do you figure Leak will be keeping the ball. Meyer's main theme is spreading out the D and throwing all over it, every says "leak will get punished", hell get punished if he blows out his arm from throwing all over everybody. We'll run some option, but a lot of throwing out of the shotgun, and some running as well. You guys (along with the rest of the SEC) said this same stuff about SOS, and look what that got ya, a decade of dominance. Learn a little more about UF and Urban Meyer before you start running your mouth.

VN Store

Back