Covington Teens vs Washington Post

The post smeared these kids while calling a terrorist a scholar....glad to see the lawsuit is back on

You know, I’m all for CNN, WashPo, MSNBC, and whoever else having to pay up for smearing this kid BUT those amounts are ridiculous. Part of the problem we have in this country is the insensitivity to large verdicts/settlements and the tendency of juries looking to punish corporations. Nuclear verdicts have gone through the roof with no end in sight but guess who pays for it? We all do! A small percentage of attorneys are getting fat off of every one of us by getting these large amounts, which raises costs for companies, and causes the cost of goods to rise. It’s just like the coaching salaries being out of control is part of the reason ticket prices are soaring. Again, I’m all for suing as he was wronged but how in the world was $800M or even $250M worth of damage done to this kid?

You know, I’m all for CNN, WashPo, MSNBC, and whoever else having to pay up for smearing this kid BUT those amounts are ridiculous. Part of the problem we have in this country is the insensitivity to large verdicts/settlements and the tendency of juries looking to punish corporations. Nuclear verdicts have gone through the roof with no end in sight but guess who pays for it? We all do! A small percentage of attorneys are getting fat off of every one of us by getting these large amounts, which raises costs for companies, and causes the cost of goods to rise. It’s just like the coaching salaries being out of control is part of the reason ticket prices are soaring. Again, I’m all for suing as he was wronged but how in the world was $800M or even $250M worth of damage done to this kid?

I think the amounts are just table stakes. If it's not a big number then it doesn't get taken seriously. No way the damages are anywhere close but without a bombastic claim there's no motivation to settle.

I do think this kid is young enough that he'll be impacted by this for his life. I can see him being denied admission to some colleges and losing some jobs if people on the other end are politically persuaded

I think the amounts are just table stakes. If it's not a big number then it doesn't get taken seriously. No way the damages are anywhere close but without a bombastic claim there's no motivation to settle.

I do think this kid is young enough that he'll be impacted by this for his life. I can see him being denied admission to some colleges and losing some jobs if people on the other end are politically persuaded
I don’t disagree the intention may be to grab attention and encourage settlement but courts are awarding money like this more and more often. If I recall correctly there were 100 verdicts of more than $20M in the US last year. Now that includes Med Mal, Auto, everything but the number of large verdicts and average verdict amount continues to skyrocket. I don’t know the solution but the problem isn’t going away anytime soon.

Reactions: volinbham
The damages in this case were to hold these media outlets responsible for lying to fit the narrative they wanted to be true.

What good is a free press if they sling BS?

How else do we fix “fake news” except by hitting them in the pocketbook?

I personally have never paid CNN, Wapo or MSNBC a dime.

It's not just that they were lying - it's easy to blame then for that. It's that their rush to be first to print/post and gain the most ad revenue via increased traffic led to incomplete and incorrect reporting. Ego of the higher ups refusing to quickly correct the story led to the lying. Greed is an expensive bitch.

It's not just that they were lying - it's easy to blame then for that. It's that their rush to be first to print/post and gain the most ad revenue via increased traffic led to incomplete and incorrect reporting. Ego of the higher ups refusing to quickly correct the story led to the lying. Greed is an expensive bitch.
This story was so inconsequential too.

Imagine how this affects really important stories - I can’t imagine the accuracy goes up based on the greed that the MSM has become beholden to.

This story was so inconsequential too.

Imagine how this affects really important stories - I can’t imagine the accuracy goes up based on the greed that the MSM has become beholden to.

Whatever keeps them coming back for more. Even with the rampant misspellings and uncaught edit marks. But it makes them feel good / be mad at the right people, so who cares?

VN Store

Back