Covington Teens vs Washington Post

what happened to the old "if you have nothing to hide you should testify" argument you folks were throwing around in the impeachment thread? If CNN is innocent they should welcome their chance to clear their name amirite?

No, because taking a few hours to testify doesn't cost anything. Going to court for this would be very expensive.

Because businesses make legal decisions based on expected losses and not whether or not they are guilty.

That being said, this kid was wronged.
Your second sentence contradicts your first sentence.

Your first sentence is an answer to a question I didn’t ask. I know why businesses settle lawsuits. I was specifically asking why CNN settled this lawsuit. The answer is obvious. CNN was in the wrong and CNN was going to lose in court.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

Your first sentence is an answer to a question I didn’t ask. I know why businesses settle lawsuits. I was specifically asking why CNN settled this lawsuit. The answer is obvious. CNN was in the wrong and CNN was going to lose in court.

I said the kid was wronged. IDK specifically what CNN is guilty of to offer an opinion on that. The answer is not obvious, innocent companies settle all the fkn time.

Reactions: volinbham
No, because taking a few hours to testify doesn't cost anything. Going to court for this would be very expensive.

I was being facetious to counter the point. There are plenty of reasons to settle just as their are plenty of reasons to not talk to authorities or testify even if you are completely innocent.

Reactions: n_huffhines
No. Have you ever worked for a big corporation? I have worked for two that were innocent of the claims against them but chose to settle out of court. It is almost always cheaper to settle than the cost of a trial and whatever inflated settlement a judge imposes if you lose. Plus, it is always better to avoid court and to silence the noise that comes from a lawsuit.
This is true for the most part but not always. We will see as time goes on if it was the right decision, but right now it is a really bad look for CNN .

Reactions: NorthDallas40
This is true for the most part but not always. We will see as time goes on if it was the right decision, but right now it is a really bad look for CNN .
They still get to be classified as news since they didn't use the FOX Entertainment defense.

Why settle if they did nothing wrong?
UT did it with the AJ Johnson civil case? or maybe something from Butch?
you do it because its cheaper to settle, then to drag it out for years in court and possibly end up paying anyway + their court costs.
keeps any other unrelated (or related) facts from coming out. your own lawyers are going thru everything they can as well to try and get ahead of things and it can disrupt events as they suggest changes or just pursue information.
and it settles the case. with people these days they don't remember their last tweet yet alone what happened a week ago. so if you can settle it clears things up fast and allows things to go back to normal.

Reactions: Sandman 423

the kid didn't have to take the settlement. why did he? He could have taken it to court. got them to be ruled as wrong/guilty, and then get the money too.

but he chose just the money.

UT did it with the AJ Johnson civil case? or maybe something from Butch?
you do it because its cheaper to settle, then to drag it out for years in court and possibly end up paying anyway + their court costs.
keeps any other unrelated (or related) facts from coming out. your own lawyers are going thru everything they can as well to try and get ahead of things and it can disrupt events as they suggest changes or just pursue information.
and it settles the case. with people these days they don't remember their last tweet yet alone what happened a week ago. so if you can settle it clears things up fast and allows things to go back to normal.
Do you know how hard it is to prove defamation?

How Do You Prove a Defamation of Character Claim?

How Do You Prove a Defamation of Character Claim?
Defamation of character is a term that is used to describe when a false statement is written or spoken about an individual with the intent of harming their reputation. Unfortunately, defamation of character claims are extremely difficult to prove in the court of law despite the fact that they are illegal. However, any lawyer will tell you that as long as the truth is on your side, anything is possible.

You know, I’m all for CNN, WashPo, MSNBC, and whoever else having to pay up for smearing this kid BUT those amounts are ridiculous. Part of the problem we have in this country is the insensitivity to large verdicts/settlements and the tendency of juries looking to punish corporations. Nuclear verdicts have gone through the roof with no end in sight but guess who pays for it? We all do! A small percentage of attorneys are getting fat off of every one of us by getting these large amounts, which raises costs for companies, and causes the cost of goods to rise. It’s just like the coaching salaries being out of control is part of the reason ticket prices are soaring. Again, I’m all for suing as he was wronged but how in the world was $800M or even $250M worth of damage done to this kid?

I agree. I'm not sure what the settlement was but I doubt it was anywhere near that. The issue though is these large media outlets spewing lies without the fear of major consequences. What is the amount that leads to deterrence? It will eventually teach them to stop hiring incompetent morons with extreme agendas moonlighting as experts.

Reactions: hUTch2002
There was a time when CNN was impeccable in their reporting, without a doubt the best news outfit. I can't believe what they have become.

All I used to watch was CNN and apparently most of America did too. It has turned to a disgrace to suit the liberal agenda that will run them out of business before the agenda goes to suck the life out the next profitable business.

Reactions: hUTch2002
I agree. I'm not sure what the settlement was but I doubt it was anywhere near that. The issue though is these large media outlets spewing lies without the fear of major consequences. What is the amount that leads to deterrence? It will eventually teach them to stop hiring incompetent morons with extreme agendas moonlighting as experts.
I wish it would deter them but I’m not sure it will. The idiocy runs very deep.

It's not just that they were lying - it's easy to blame then for that. It's that their rush to be first to print/post and gain the most ad revenue via increased traffic led to incomplete and incorrect reporting. Ego of the higher ups refusing to quickly correct the story led to the lying. Greed is an expensive bitch.
speaking of rushing, you were the first one here to post the thread attacking the kid and his religion.

VN Store

Back