Culinary, Arts, Thread.

@Behr

Risotto al Barolo - ever had it? Ever made it? I’ve started a new Italian police procedural series (books), and as usual, there’s a lot of loving detail given to food.

I’ve never had a non-beige (best term I can come up with) risotto, and my brain is wrestling with rice the color of kidney beans. But the recipes look amazing.

Any tips or thoughts would be welcome. 👍🏻

Adding @NorCalVol67, who has also wrestled a risotto or two.

Last edited:
@Behr

Risotto al Barolo - ever had it? Ever made it? I’ve started a new Italian police procedural series (books), and as usual, there’s a lot of loving detail given to food.

I’ve never had a non-beige (best term I can come up with) risotto, and my brain is wrestling with rice the color of kidney beans. But the recipes look amazing.

Why is your brain wrestling with the color of it? Lulz.

Reactions: VolNExile
Why is your brain wrestling with the color of it? Lulz.
It’s unexpected! My brain likes - or expects - patterns, and when something seems different from usual patterns, it gets all perky.

ETA: maybe the opposite of you? I don’t like for things to behave themselves (not doing well with words here; waves hands)

@Behr

Because using red wine instead of white?

@Behr

Dark red kidney bean aquafaba? 🤪

It’s unexpected! My brain likes - or expects - patterns, and when something seems different from usual patterns, it gets all perky.

ETA: maybe the opposite of you? I don’t like for things to behave themselves (not doing well with words here; waves hands)
You have a good recipe?

You have a good recipe?
I dunno. Since I’ve never had it, I don’t have a feel for how it should be prepared. I’m just googling, and there’s so much bad cooking on der Google. I’ve looked at these:

Risotto al Barolo Authentic Recipe | TasteAtlas (looks nicely minimal, a basic recipe without any wacko additions)

Classic Tuscan recipe for risotto. | Dr. Michele Carbone | Food Blog (like the additional aromatics; pretty much twice as much wine per amount of rice, whee! But I don’t want the finished risotto to taste grapey.)

Reactions: Behr
For anyone struggling with the color thing, here’s what it looks like. I don’t object to the color; blue with emerald green sparkles would be lovely, but it’s a different look for rice. Unrustle yore jimmies.

1721938799974.jpeg

Reactions: Tin Man and Behr
I dunno. Since I’ve never had it, I don’t have a feel for how it should be prepared. I’m just googling, and there’s so much bad cooking on der Google. I’ve looked at these:

Risotto al Barolo Authentic Recipe | TasteAtlas (looks nicely minimal, a basic recipe without any wacko additions)

Classic Tuscan recipe for risotto. | Dr. Michele Carbone | Food Blog (like the additional aromatics; pretty much twice as much wine per amount of rice, whee! But I don’t want the finished risotto to taste grapey.)
Yeah Carbone is making it for 4-5 people but I don't know why he's not clear.

The first one is fine but use part of Carbone's.

Use the Carnaroli it's much better for risotto and more forgiving.

Definitely use some rosemary, that will add the umph. As will the butter at the end.

And white truffle oil is an addition you'll either love or hate. That's your call, but I recommend it.

I guess I'm saying use the top recipe but add the above to make it one to keep.

Yeah Carbone is making it for 4-5 people but I don't know why he's not clear.

The first one is fine but use part of Carbone's.

Use the Carnaroli it's much better for risotto and more forgiving.

Definitely use some rosemary, that will add the umph. As will the butter at the end.

And white truffle oil is an addition you'll either love or hate. That's your call, but I recommend it.

I guess I'm saying use the top recipe but add the above to make it one to keep.
Thanks, this is great.

I have the black truffle oil you recommended back in the day. Is white truffle oil different enough to be worth getting? I’ve got room for it and no objections to getting it.

Thanks, this is great.

I have the black truffle oil you recommended back in the day. Is white truffle oil different enough to be worth getting? I’ve got room for it and no objections to getting it.
I like black better but it's more expensive. It has a deeper flavor. They're like wine, they pair better with certain dishes, but if you have black use it but I'd be careful. If you use a little too much it will ruin the risotto. The white would be more forgiving but if you get the perfect amount of black, it will add a depth you'll die for.

Imo.

I like black better but it's more expensive. It has a deeper flavor. They're like wine, they pair better with certain dishes, but if you have black use it but I'd be careful. If you use a little too much it will ruin the risotto. The white would be more forgiving but if you get the perfect amount of black, it will add a depth you'll die for.

Imo.
Yeah, I once overdid dried porcinis and black truffle oil. whew I learned to go gently.

This is the black oil I have. I like it because it has a big chunk of (reputedly) black truffle in it. Any particular recommendations for white?

1721941348220.jpeg

VN Store

Back