D1 Baseball's Proposal for 72 field tournament

preacherman20

The short version is the #1 seed and #2 seed would both host for the first weekend. There would be 8 play-in games on Thursday night and then the #1 seeds in top 8 would play the play-in winner which puts them at more of a disadvantage. It adds a week to the season so the championship game this year would have been July 3rd which hurts college leagues. It is also the brainchild of Mike Rooney, who I think is trying every way to hinder the SEC's stranglehold on college baseball. It would make each weekend a best 2 of 3 series which might be better but I like the four fanbases together the first weekend. I will agree it loses money because 3 teams don't get enough tickets worth travelling.
I think 2 major changes need to be a better formula instead of rpi and a better split of tickets and the home team not getting the overwhelming %. And no I did not think it was right when we were hosting. Just a new thread to argue in.

Terrible idea. The college baseball national tournament from start to finish is the best post season in American sports. Don’t mess with it.

I’ve enjoyed college baseball the past few years more than other college sports, one reason is because the other sports seem to be so geared toward profit. It’s coming in baseball and I expect the tournament will change for the worse at some point to generate more revenue. But leave it be for now. Good debate for these summer days though.

1st tweak I would make is to document and publicize the full 1-64 rankings. In the super regionals, if you're ranked higher and your facility has the ability to host, then you host. None of this back-room bidding process crap.

2nd tweak is to cut out the coin tosses determining who gets to be the home team. I wouldn't be opposed to the higher seeded team always getting the last at-bat, but I guess I'm fine with mixing it up for 1 game. For example, I'm ok with the non-host team getting to bat last in Game 2 of the Supers, but definitely not Game 3.

Adding teams to the tourney though? My friend Yogurt said it best...

intro-import.jpg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Their main reasoning is money and giving the other teams a chance to host something since SEC had half and should have had more. They ultimately want the west and north to host more, especially Big 10. He doesn't hide his distaste for SEC dominance and desire for Big 10 to get more power.

Terrible idea. The college baseball national tournament from start to finish is the best post season in American sports. Don’t mess with it.

I’ve enjoyed college baseball the past few years more than other college sports, one reason is because the other sports seem to be so geared toward profit. It’s coming in baseball and I expect the tournament will change for the worse at some point to generate more revenue. But leave it be for now. Good debate for these summer days though.

I don’t know if it’s the best in all of American sports, but it’s definitely the best in college sports without question (imo). I agree with others that they need to ditch the RPI and have better criteria for seeding. Maybe a couple other very minor changes as well, like what qualifies a school to host. Southern Miss did not have adequate facilities to host for example. Other than that, leave it alone. The number of teams is perfect. It’s absolutely my favorite college post season tourney.

Their main reasoning is money and giving the other teams a chance to host something since SEC had half and should have had more. They ultimately want the west and north to host more, especially Big 10. He doesn't hide his distaste for SEC dominance and desire for Big 10 to get more power.
This would be self correcting IMO. The Big 10 might host the first round, but once they loose to better competition the remaining series would return to the SEC. I’m not advocating for it. Just saying it would auto correct.

Reactions: knoxvol52
And if the Big 10 wants to host, play better baseball. Quit awarding participation trophies.

I don’t agree with the idea that increasing the number from 64 to 72 is favorable to anyone. Why water down the tournament. There are already enough blowouts. There are 299 D-1 baseball programs. 64 teams is 21% of the total which has been proven to be sufficient.

Forcing the #1 and #2 seeds to play an extra game, also forces them to use their pitchers. It’s already difficult to navigate the series as it is. Why award mediocre teams with the opportunity. They get 30 plus games during the season to stake their claim.

Last edited:

I don’t think it’s better than March madness. But that’s just me. Outside of that I think I’d agree.

I don’t think it’s better than March madness. But that’s just me. Outside of that I think I’d agree.

First weekend of March Madness to me is the best weekend in American sports. But start to finish I like the baseball tournament format better. I also will say baseball is my favorite sport so i think my opinion is probably based on that as well.

Adding 72 should add almost all SEC teams to the field however on the D1 podcast, they would like for it be intended for mid majors like the SoCon and other conferences that usually only get 1 in…….so basically they don’t want the best teams, just more participation trophies for the mids. I’ll pass……

Adding 72 should add almost all SEC teams to the field however on the D1 podcast, they would like for it be intended for mid majors like the SoCon and other conferences that usually only get 1 in…….so basically they don’t want the best teams, just more participation trophies for the mids. I’ll pass……
You no want B10 slots? 🤣

Reactions: knoxvol52
I don’t know if it’s the best in all of American sports, but it’s definitely the best in college sports without question (imo). I agree with others that they need to ditch the RPI and have better criteria for seeding. Maybe a couple other very minor changes as well, like what qualifies a school to host. Southern Miss did not have adequate facilities to host for example. Other than that, leave it alone. The number of teams is perfect. It’s absolutely my favorite college post season tourney.
Why do you say S Miss didn’t have adequate facilities to host? Very few programs have visitor locker rooms. TN doesn’t either.

Why do you say S Miss didn’t have adequate facilities to host? Very few programs have visitor locker rooms. TN doesn’t either.
Are you saying they do have adequate facilities? I saw the pics of where the Vols were placed. And that’s not adequate facilities for championship college baseball. The complaining that occurred on this board about that situation was plenty. And rightfully so. If you’re going to host, you should be able to host appropriately. Just my opinion. And of course, I could go into further aspects of why facilities matter simply for the growth of the college game, but that’s likely a different conversation altogether.

Are you saying they do have adequate facilities? I saw the pics of where the Vols were placed. And that’s not adequate facilities for championship college baseball. The complaining that occurred on this board about that situation was plenty. And rightfully so. If you’re going to host, you should be able to host appropriately. Just my opinion. And of course, I could go into further aspects of why facilities matter simply for the growth of the college game, but that’s likely a different conversation altogether.
Yes, they absolutely do have an “adequate” baseball facility to host postseason play, and have done so for the past 2 years. I was there and think the complaining about “poor” conditions was way overblown— at least one UT Assistant Coach felt the same way. To be fair, in lieu of sitting under the stands, S Miss offered up basketball locker room but we refused. (We would have nowhere to put the visiting team at LNS either). There are no visitor locker room or clubhouse facilities at LNS. Thus, we’d have to offer up football practice facility or basketball locker room as well. The NCAA vastly mismanaged the lightning delays but that had nothing to do with S Miss. The reality is baseball facilities like Miss St, Arkansas, LSU, etc are outliers. Other conferences have the right to host postseason baseball as well.

Your comments are exactly why many non-SEC schools have SEC fatigue. It comes across as elitist and that others aren’t worthy of hosting postseason baseball. S Miss absolutely met all NCAA qualifications to host. I’d preferred to have been in Knoxville but the reality is we need to improve LNS (and thankfully will be making a huge investment in doing just that).

Your comments are exactly why many non-SEC schools have SEC fatigue. It comes across as elitist and that others aren’t worthy of hosting postseason baseball. S Miss absolutely met all NCAA qualifications to host. I’d preferred to have been in Knoxville but the reality is we need to improve LNS (and thankfully will be making a huge investment in doing just that).
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. And no, I do not think my opinion comes across as one of the SEC being “elitist”. Nor do I care that fans outside of the conference have “SEC fatigue.” That’s a problem for them, not the SEC. The NCAA definitely botched up the rain delays, so we agree there. However, it doesn’t change my opinion that better facilities were needed. And on a different note, I’m completely surprised that Tenn doesn’t have a visitors locker room for baseball. Despite some down years in football, Tenn still competes at the highest level in college athletics, has the money (or at least should), and really should have baseball facilities to match at this point in time. Again, all just an opinion.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. And no, I do not think my opinion comes across as one of the SEC being “elitist”. Nor do I care that fans outside of the conference have “SEC fatigue.” That’s a problem for them, not the SEC. The NCAA definitely botched up the rain delays, so we agree there. However, it doesn’t change my opinion that better facilities were needed. And on a different note, I’m completely surprised that Tenn doesn’t have a visitors locker room for baseball. Despite some down years in football, Tenn still competes at the highest level in college athletics, has the money (or at least should), and really should have baseball facilities to match at this point in time. Again, all just an opinion.
You obviously don’t care and that’s exactly my point as to why you come across as elitist. I’ve personally witnessed numerous LSU baseball fans disparage LNS and other venues that don’t meet their criteria. Have you ever been to S Miss (or other baseball venues) or do you just form your opinions based on a few pics? I’d dare say most of the SEC baseball stadiums (outside of top 4 or 5) don’t have locker rooms for visiting teams. You are in your LSU bubble regarding your comments about S Miss. Heck, LNS is currently only better than perhaps one other SEC school, so not sure why you’re surprised? $100M will obviously change that. They absolutely have adequate facilities for hosting postseason baseball, but agree that improvements would be nice (I’d start with replacing all bleachers with chair backs). Reality is lots of non-power 5 schools don’t have the $$$ or motivation to invest in or prioritize college baseball facilities. It just so happens that the SEC has several outliers who prioritize college baseball. They are mostly outliers to the rest of college baseball.

How can you keep disagreeing when presented with the facts that tenn doesn’t have visiting lockerrooms either??

The exact same situation would have happened in Knoxville during rain/lightning delays

You obviously don’t care and that’s exactly my point as to why you come across as elitist. I’ve personally witnessed numerous LSU baseball fans disparage LNS and other venues that don’t meet their criteria. Have you ever been to S Miss (or other baseball venues) or do you just form your opinions based on a few pics? I’d dare say most of the SEC baseball stadiums (outside of top 4 or 5) don’t have locker rooms for visiting teams. You are in your LSU bubble regarding your comments about S Miss. Heck, LNS is currently only better than perhaps one other SEC school, so not sure why you’re surprised? $100M will obviously change that. They absolutely have adequate facilities for hosting postseason baseball, but agree that improvements would be nice (I’d start with replacing all bleachers with chair backs). Reality is lots of non-power 5 schools don’t have the $$$ or motivation to invest in or prioritize college baseball facilities. It just so happens that the SEC has several outliers who prioritize college baseball. They are mostly outliers to the rest of college baseball.
No. I don’t care about SEC fatigue bc it’s not the SEC’s fault that they invest heavily in athletics, win more championships, etc… That's not an elitist opinion. That’s just stating the facts. Those with SEC fatigue are just mad their programs don’t win more. It’s really that simple.

Yes, I’ve been to several college baseball venues, but not S Miss. And if the smaller programs don’t have the money to invest directly into their facilities, then they, in coordination with the NCAA, need to come up with a better plan to accommodate visiting teams for post season play. This should be done, if for nothing else, in the name of fair competition. And if it can’t be done, then they shouldn’t host. That’s my opinion.

In regards to your comments about LSU fans disparaging LNS, you should direct those comments to them. I have been nothing but respectful on this board. And quite honestly, I’m actually more supportive of Tenn’s baseball program than many that post here! Which is crazy to me!

How can you keep disagreeing when presented with the facts that tenn doesn’t have visiting lockerrooms either??

The exact same situation would have happened in Knoxville during rain/lightning delays
Bc I have little doubt that Tenn would have came up with better accommodations if they were to host.

VN Store

Back