Daily Baseball 2013

Stanton and Howard are completely different. There is no comparison. Having said that, I don't think I'd trade the world for Stanton either. He's seems a bit fragile.

Never said they were the same or had the same qualities. Just saying there was a time when teams would traded the farm for Howard and it would have been disasterous. Nothing more, nothing less.

Never said they were the same or had the same qualities. Just saying there was a time when teams would traded the farm for Howard and it would have been disasterous. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't recall those times. He was never regarded as being anything better than average (at best) defensively, he wasn't going to carry a high AVG, he struggles (or has struggled) against lefties, and he's always struck out too often. He was never going to be cheap either, in terms of salary.

The man had 129 HRs before he was arb eligible.

He won an MVP before he was arb eligible. He launched 58 bombs and batted .313.

I agree no one viewed him as Giancarlo because of age, but plenty of teams would have unloaded a nice bit to acquire him.

Y! SPORTS

I actually think voiding contracts is not only fair (there's a crap ton of contracts that can be voided under fraud), but it would also be the only way to really deter PED use.

If a player is capable of producing without the PEDs like so many claim, then it shouldn't be an issue getting a new contract.

I don't recall those times. He was never regarded as being anything better than average (at best) defensively, he wasn't going to carry a high AVG, he struggles (or has struggled) against lefties, and he's always struck out too often. He was never going to be cheap either, in terms of salary.

You must have been out of country from 2006-2009

His average per 162 games during those seasons are as follows:

.278 BA
.379 OBP
52 HRs
149 RBIs
106 Runs
97 Walks

I'd like to think that if the Phillies would've been crazy enough to trade him during this stretch teams would've been lining up around the block. He was an absolute beast. Especially after his performance in the 2008 World Series.

Gerrit Cole is an anomaly. He's very good and throws very hard but barely strikes anyone out. Just seems odd to me.

Hasn't really surprised me. Pirates farm system has been very big on starters pitching to contact ever since Neal huntington took over as GM. They've got a good bit of depth in the minors right now of good hard throwing pitchers but with the exception of Tyler Glasnow in low A and Vic Black (was AAA closer now in majors as reliever) the SO numbers don't really blow you away. Plus in Cole's case he has been so heavily reliant on his fastball so far, once he improves his ability to locate his slider the Ks will increase

I don't know about that. His velo has been consistently declining as he has gotten older and is at a career low this year (CC Sabathia » PitchFx » Velocity Graphs » FA | FanGraphs Baseball). I don't see anything being "wrong" with him just that he is getting old and doesn't have the stuff that he used too. Which is really going to suck for the yanks that they have a couple of years left with him under contract

They've really screwed the pooch with some of these contracts. Albeit, CC has definitely earned his money thus far, its those latter years as you mentioned though.

VN Store

Back