Defending Meyers Pass/Option Offense

I'll give him more credit... I don't doubt he'll pull it on the lesser teams he plays, because it will probably work, but I would be very suprised if he doesn't run a somewhat even offense against teams like us, Georgia and LSU.

Originally posted by UTVolsFan28@Jun 22, 2005 11:12 AM
Ok, why could Chavis not go to that defense with the DL moving?  I really like that set(I know there is a name for it I just forget what it is).  I think with the OL not knowing where the DL will be at the snap works in the Defense's favor.  I also think with Omar Gaither shadowing Leak will work in the Vols favor seeing Gaither is as quick or quicker than Leak is.  And in that offense (option) I don't see Wynn being a Great speed back so trying to get outside on an option will be tough VS Tenn. 
JMO
[snapback]106395[/snapback]​

That defense was called Prowler...

Peace cross

Chris Leak has nowhere near the talent Alex Smith has. The only time Leak is effective is when he's protected in the pocket. Take him out of the pocket he makes mistakes, hit him a couple times and he becomes totally unhinged. If Meyers is counting on the SEC defense to treat Leak like a Florida practic squad he's in for a rude awakening. Everyone in the SEC knows Leak mentally can't handle being sacked.

Originally posted by crossvillevolfan@Jun 26, 2005 5:35 AM
That defense was called Prowler...

Peace cross
[snapback]107798[/snapback]​

And it's marvelous. I get chills every time they start roaming around.

Originally posted by Volsaholic@Jun 26, 2005 8:58 AM
Chris Leak has nowhere near the talent Alex Smith has. The only time Leak is effective is when he's protected in the pocket. Take him out of the pocket he makes mistakes, hit him a couple times and he becomes totally unhinged. If Meyers is counting on the SEC defense to treat Leak like a Florida practic squad he's in for a rude awakening. Everyone in the SEC knows Leak mentally can't handle being sacked.
[snapback]107807[/snapback]​

I'm no big fan of Leak, but I don't think there's anything wrong with him that a decent running game and some better playcalling couldn't solve.

I don't think he's Peyton Manning, but I don't think he's Chris Rix either. :twocents:

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 26, 2005 9:14 AM
And it's marvelous. I get chills every time they start roaming around.
[snapback]107810[/snapback]​

I get chills every time I think about the game where we unveiled it. Spurrier's last home game as a gator and and SECE championship clinching win for the VOLS!

I can't believe no one said Texas A&M.

They had one of the best option QBs in the nation last year and our speedy defense just made him look silly.

We could have beaten them by 50 easily.

I'm not the least worried about Meyer's sandlot style.

Good point OldVol and our defense should be even more improved over last year...chomp..chomp.

Originally posted by OldVol@Jun 27, 2005 12:15 PM
I can't believe no one said Texas A&M.

They had one of the best option QBs in the nation last year and our speedy defense just made him look silly.

We could have beaten them by 50 easily.

I'm not the least worried about Meyer's sandlot style.
[snapback]108165[/snapback]​

Texas A&M really had no business playing in a bowl game that high... They had no impressive games that season. And aside from that, the option still didn't work too bad on us. The Aggies still dropped 241 passing yards on us. Florida's passing attack is far better than that. They have a QB that is probably more talented than McNeal, and some pretty darned good WRs too.

The reason that we won the Cotton Bowl by that amount is that Texas A&M had one of the worst pass defenses in the country. There are few teams in the country Rick Clausen could even put up 200 yards passing on, and A&M just so happened to be one of those teams.

Regardless, I think we will win this game, but Florida will be far more difficult to take out than most of you want to admit.

A&M had pretty good games against both OU and UT...

For the first halves of each game

:lol:

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 27, 2005 3:32 PM
Texas A&M really had no business playing in a bowl game that high... They had no impressive games that season. And aside from that, the option still didn't work too bad on us. The Aggies still dropped 241 passing yards on us. Florida's passing attack is far better than that. They have a QB that is probably more talented than McNeal, and some pretty darned good WRs too.

The reason that we won the Cotton Bowl by that amount is that Texas A&M had one of the worst pass defenses in the country. There are few teams in the country Rick Clausen could even put up 200 yards passing on, and A&M just so happened to be one of those teams.

Regardless, I think we will win this game, but Florida will be far more difficult to take out than most of you want to admit.
[snapback]108177[/snapback]​

I believe, that if I were to say Billy Graham is a Baptist, you'd argue that he was Lutheran.

Truly amazing that you thought the Aggies had a good day against us. As for their pass defense, they only gave up 48 yards per game more than we did for the season. Plus, as for their total team defense, they only gave up 33 yards per game more than us. Their defense was ranked 59th and our's 40th. They deserved the Cotton Bowl more than Utah deserved the Fiesta. A&M played 10 teams with winning records including 9 bowl teams. Of those 9 bowl teams, they beat 6 of them to get to the Cotton. It would have been 10 had it not been for Clemson's season ending brawl. I'd say that's pretty deserving. Utah, on the other hand, played only 4 bowl teams, one of which was New Mexico, which played in that big daddy Emerald Bowl.

Truly amazing.

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 27, 2005 3:41 PM
A&M had pretty good games against both OU and UT...

For the first halves of each game

:lol:
[snapback]108180[/snapback]​

They were obviously a better team than they showed against us. But, I think that has a lot to do with the fact that our team really was peaking at the end. I think it's a very good sign of things to come for us and I don't think A&M will be that bad in 05. If I'm not mistaken the QB was a Jr. and their top runner a Soph.

If they can plug in some hole on D they'll be a bowl team again.

Fran's a good coach regardless of how the Bammers feel about him.

Originally posted by OldVol@Jun 27, 2005 10:47 PM
I believe, that if I were to say Billy Graham is a Baptist, you'd argue that he was Lutheran.

Truly amazing that you thought the Aggies had a good day against us. As for their pass defense, they only gave up 48 yards per game more than we did for the season. Plus, as for their total team defense, they only gave up 33 yards per game more than us. Their defense was ranked 59th and our's 40th. They deserved the Cotton Bowl more than Utah deserved the Fiesta. A&M played 10 teams with winning records including 9 bowl teams. Of those 9 bowl teams, they beat 6 of them to get to the Cotton. It would have been 10 had it not been for Clemson's season ending brawl. I'd say that's pretty deserving. Utah, on the other hand, played only 4 bowl teams, one of which was New Mexico, which played in that big daddy Emerald Bowl.

Truly amazing.
[snapback]108366[/snapback]​

Utah? What? Keep your focus, OldVol and pay attention to what I'm actually saying. Your trying to pull a Fox News on me.

And when did I say A&M had a good game? They still ate it. And if you had read that I was talking about pass defense you would know they actually are terrible there. They were ranked 93rd in the country in pass defense, in fact. Say what you will, but I was not overly impressed with our offense that day. I was not dissappointed, either, I just thought it was quite average given that A&M had one of the worst defensive backfields in the country.

But either way, I still think my comparison works quite well. Texas A&M runs an offense similar to what we're anticipating from Urban Meyer. Although they did not convert the points, Reggie McNeal still mounted 269 total yards of offense of his own against us. I believe the fault of their not scoring was on the fault of the team he had around him. A&M does not have that much overall talent, rather, a handful of players that do quite well on their own. Leak my not be quite as good as McNeal in sheer skill and ability to run the option, but the overall talent level of Florida is far better than A&M's, and Leak is not that bad either.

Given Florida's passing game, our pass defense performance last year, the Swamp, and most importantly, the fact that Meyer probably runs a better defense than Zook, I have quite a bit to be nervous about with our game against Florida. I honestly think it will be the toughest game on our regular season schedule.

And by the way, Don't count A&M's regular season wins for quite so much; The Big XII was grossly overrated in the 2004 season.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 28, 2005 2:52 AM
...the fact that Meyer probably runs a better defense than Zook

I'm just not seeing that at all. Utah gave up a lot of points to some pretty weak teams last year. The Gators had a bad couple of games, but overall weren't that bad on defense, especially when you consider that it would have been very easy for them to lay down midway through the year when Zook got fired.

I still beleive that anyone who is just four years removed from being a receivers coach for a mediocre ND team does not deserve the hype he is getting. Two years at Bowling Green, 8-3, 9-3 and two years at Utah, 9-2 and 12-0 both were already good programs. Urb came in with a surprise offense and he was not in those programs long enough for the other teams to adjust. Now he comes to the SEC and hopefully his offense has gotten enough looks for him to be locked down. Urb has had his flash in the pan and all that is left over is the darkness for him. He will annilated by TN 31 to 10 and Leak will not finish the game. I seem to recall Texas AM's QB was hobbling after being pummeled by TN. Leak is alot slower. They will take him out or he will be hamburger. Thier only hope is run a pro set with leak.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 28, 2005 1:54 AM
And by the way, Don't count A&M's regular season wins for quite so much; The Big XII was grossly overrated in the 2004 season.
[snapback]108386[/snapback]​

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same fellow who argued vociferously that Utah deserved their shot in the Fiesta with wins over only 4 teams with plus .500 records? I believe I could find some of the old threads where you did. But now you’re telling me that A&M wasn’t deserving of the Cotton bowl, with wins over 6 bowl teams, 7 plus .500 teams, and 7 point losses to #3 Oklahoma, and #18 Texas Tech respectively, a 14 point loss to #5 Texas, yet Utah deserved one of the most elite spots in all of college football with wins over zero, that’s NO ranked team.

And you’re accusing me of spin. That’s funny!

Billy Graham is a Baptist.

Fox News: Fair and Balanced. :D

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Jun 28, 2005 7:59 AM
I still beleive that anyone who is just four years removed from being a receivers coach for a mediocre ND team does not deserve the hype he is getting. Two years at Bowling Green, 8-3, 9-3 and two years at Utah, 9-2 and 12-0 both were already good programs. Urb came in with a surprise offense and he was not in those programs long enough for the other teams to adjust. Now he comes to the SEC and hopefully his offense has gotten enough looks for him to be locked down. Urb has had his flash in the pan and all that is left over is the darkness for him. He will annilated by TN 31 to 10 and Leak will not finish the game. I seem to recall Texas AM's QB was hobbling after being pummeled by TN. Leak is alot slower. They will take him out or he will be hamburger. Thier only hope is run a pro set with leak.
[snapback]108403[/snapback]​

That's sound reasoning TBALLVOL. One thing is for certain. Meyer now has the platform to prove his worth. It is my opinion that the platform will crush his dreams.

I just wish Utah had drawn a much better team for the Fiesta. Texas would have beaten them by 20. The Big East needs to go. Pitt's appearance there was the 2nd greatest injustice ever forced on college football. The greatest was when the mid-majors went crying to congress like a bunch of desparate housewives, pi$$ing and moaning about their unjust treatment.

They should take the fooler out of their mouth and schedule top teams, beat them, then they'll deserve it. Otherwise, screw 'em. It takes about 50 years to build a real Division I program. FSU and Miami did it and they did so without begging for football welfare. I guess our instant gratification society includes the mid-major whiners.

Originally posted by U-T@Jun 28, 2005 12:51 PM
Clinton was faithful to his wife
[snapback]108435[/snapback]​

Clinton was faithful to his wife's assistant.

See what happens when you're computer glitches.

As for Hillary in the WHouse, I'm not sure that would be good for Bill's health. He's getting a little too old, and that ticker's getting a wee bit too weak for him to be chasing interns down the hallways of the West Wing.

I'm just thinking about Bill here. :p

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 28, 2005 7:09 AM
I'm just not seeing that at all.  Utah gave up a lot of points to some pretty weak teams last year.  The Gators had a bad couple of games, but overall weren't that bad on defense, especially when you consider that it would have been very easy for them to lay down midway through the year when Zook got fired.
[snapback]108397[/snapback]​

Any team playing under the cloud of a coaching change, which the Gators were from the outset, is going to lose focus in a few games.

Good points GAVol!

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 28, 2005 5:09 AM
I'm just not seeing that at all.  Utah gave up a lot of points to some pretty weak teams last year.  The Gators had a bad couple of games, but overall weren't that bad on defense, especially when you consider that it would have been very easy for them to lay down midway through the year when Zook got fired.
[snapback]108397[/snapback]​

Zook's Gators had the worst 4th quarter defense of any team I've ever seen... It was like he brought out the third stringers everytime he went into the fourth. I'm not saying his defense will actually be that good, but he would really have to suck to do worse defensively than Zook. But the point I'm bringing up is that it was a factor in our fourth quarter drive to win the game.

Maybe so, but you also have to consider that the Gator defense had to be on the field so much in the 4th quarter because Florida flat out could not run the ball to get the tough yards to close out a game last year.

All I'm saying is don't tell me that Urban Meyer is better than ANYBODY defensively when he's coming off a year where teams like Air Force, Colorado State, UNLV etc. etc. put up 28+ points against him.

Granted, Urb will probably have better talent defensively than he had at Utah but Defense is obviously not his forte considering the teams that have put up big numbers against him. I think Florida kept thier def. Coordinator but they were nothing special last year and i haven't heard that they will be any better next year. If Wyoming puts up some big numbers against them the SEC will begin salivating. I predict the fall of Urban Meyer will be the top story in the SEC and the second biggest story will be TN winning the NC and the third biggest story will be the rise of Alabama to new glory. Then all will be right with the world again with Bama again being TN's biggest rival.

Originally posted by OldVol@Jun 28, 2005 10:36 AM
OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same fellow who argued vociferously that Utah deserved their shot in the Fiesta with wins over only 4 teams with plus .500 records? I believe I could find some of the old threads where you did. But now you’re telling me that A&M wasn’t deserving of the Cotton bowl, with wins over 6 bowl teams, 7 plus .500 teams, and 7 point losses to #3 Oklahoma, and #18 Texas Tech respectively, a 14 point loss to #5 Texas, yet Utah deserved one of the most elite spots in all of college football with wins over zero, that’s NO ranked team.

And you’re accusing me of spin.  That’s funny!

Billy Graham is a Baptist.

Fox News: Fair and Balanced.  :D
[snapback]108433[/snapback]​

MY spin?? This thread is about Florida's option offense, you're the one that brought up Utah. And Billy Graham could be a Buddhist monk for all I care. I'm here to discuss some football.

VN Store

Back