Deny banking services or lose access to their account because of their values

Ok. Fair.

What about the seller rating on Ebay as an example?

It doesn't inhibit or promote freedom. It inhibits and promotes the people on the platform to make transactions with trust.
The rating on EBay is a reflection of my ability to fulfill a contract, no?

I have more cherry red toe polish than I can use, so I look to sell some.
Just so happens McRib is running low, so you purchase mine.

You then rate my ability to deliver you a quality product at the right price.

That is profoundly different, in my eyes, than compiling a social score based on people’s thoughts and beliefs. That’s just wild to me.

Even if it was completely unbiased (it won’t be).
Even if the State didn’t use it (they will).

You’re setting up a system where individuals who do not share the thoughts and beliefs of the majority will be forced to bend - or see their social score suffer.

That is profoundly different, in my eyes, than compiling a social score based on people’s thoughts and beliefs. That’s just wild to me.

You’re setting up a system where individuals who do not share the thoughts and beliefs of the majority will be forced to bend - or see their social score suffer.

^^This

"Jim Bobs lawncare does business with too many people with bad SCSs, better not use him".

I wouldn't care at all who the other customers of my lawn care guy might be, and it's hard for me to imagine anybody else would. Maybe in Beverley Hills they care about that.

My, how quickly we have forgotten the run riot mobs from just a few years back that brought us the likes of -

“Who are these people?”
“Get these people fired!”
“Ruin these businesses”

Were these people selling kidnapped babies on the black market?

No, no - they held social/political beliefs the mob found offensive…

Reactions: LouderVol and hog88

There is certainly the transactional rating between buyer and seller. But there are other things which go into the rating unrelated to the transaction.

I am not advocating for a SCS system because there are inherent risks which would attract corrupt people. I am saying that similar types of scores are already part of our daily.

Yeah, people only see how it discourages transactions. I buy way more online than I would otherwise because of rating systems. Sure, I'm discouraged from buying crap, but that's a win for me. It's a win for the market because hopefully the crap gets sifted out sooner rather than later. But I'm also encouraged to buy a lot of good stuff. Buying **** online used to be a nightmare, but now you can buy with so much more trust in the system and it has allowed me to move a huge portion of my shopping to the digital world.

People already have scores on FB marketplace.
and those scores are based on the usage of those systems. business. you aren't rated on Ebay for your posts on non-business related subjects.

I haven't spent any time on FB marketplace, but I doubt that rating is based on people digging into your social posts on FB. they are probably based on the business you do on FB marketplace.

There is certainly the transactional rating between buyer and seller. But there are other things which go into the rating unrelated to the transaction.

I am not advocating for a SCS system because there are inherent risks which would attract corrupt people. I am saying that similar types of scores are already part of our daily.
What are the other things that go into the rating that are unrelated to the transaction?

That type is system promotes group think and not diversity..

A couple we have run into:
timely communication
descriptions of the item which are subjective.
Ok, yes. I neglected to list an important component of the transaction - that it should be time bound.

Right Product
Right Price
Right Time

An accurate description, in my opinion, would fall under “Right Product”.

Reactions: McDad
I would not want a platform like Reddit or 4Chan assigning a SCS. There is entirely too much group-think to find enough objectivity. I would't trust Meta with a SCS because the platform itself is impartial.

I might be okay with other sites, though. I have no confidence the government would not eventually use those sites to control people.

Reactions: whodeycin85
A former libertarian asking me why a corporation has a right to deny services is kinda bizarre. You may not believe in libertarianism anymore, but you know what the case is for freedom, right?
I'm all for individual freedom. What I'm not for is fascism and the govt coercing or influencing corporations to violate individual liberties.

If you all are against "de-banking" by the industry then you should support cryptocurrency. I'm not voting for RFK but everything he says here is true

Spot on

Yeah, quite right I sell sports cards on ebay and you have to make sure the photos are detailed so the buyer can feel good buying a card with no blemishes, package it good so its damaged in shipping and send it quickly. I've not had any bad ratings, i see it as digital customer service.

VN Store

Back