Did Fulmer fire Sanders midseason?

sonofUT62

I've read some recent comparisons about the career tract of CPF and Mack Brown. I definitely never remembered Fulmer calling out an assistant like that in the press. I also couldn't remember if Sanders was let go during the season or after.

Sanders was fired end of season but Fulmer did call out Sanders, his assistants and players a lot ..I remember him specifically calling out Sanders a lot..

Sanders quit after the 2005 UT/SC game. It would have been the later part of the year. We should have won but fumbles killed us. Payton's number was retired that game. SC broadcasters joked that "Steve is in Payton's head even after FLA".

Go Vols

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
There was also a JA article recently that talked about Fulmer calling out his people ..now JA really hates his Fulmer but he did cite few instances of him calling out sanders

Dooley just said that they all sucked.

Typical Dooley post game interview:

"Well boys you know it takes about a decade to get caught up in recruiting. I have the best hair on either sideline, but even that can't overcome how sorry my players are. I wash, rinse, and always repeat...But these kids just don't seem to care!"

Fulmer didn't call out coaches or players - maybe you are thinking of Majors - he did it all the time.

Sanders was Fulmers first scapegoat.
Fulmer was the de facto Offensive Coordinator all along anyway since David Cutcliffe resigned to be the Ole Miss head coach. He would not turn Sanders loose to do his thing.

Sanders quit after the 2005 UT/SC game. It would have been the later part of the year. We should have won but fumbles killed us. Payton's number was retired that game. SC broadcasters joked that "Steve is in Payton's head even after FLA".

Go Vols

Who is this Payton you speak of?

As a UT fan you should be ashamed of yourself.

Reactions: 14 people
QUOTE=Gramps;9131273]Sanders was Fulmers first scapegoat.
Fulmer was the de facto Offensive Coordinator all along anyway since David Cutcliffe resigned to be the Ole Miss head coach. He would not turn Sanders loose to do his thing.[/QUOTE]

ThT is true but he did let hin call the NC game so that if we lost it would be on him!

All I remember is that Sanders ran that swing pass / wide receiver bubble screen all day every day. It was ridiculous and really only gained 2 yards. He was a very frustrating offensive coordinator.

Reactions: 3 people
Sanders stopped coaching in 1999, left in 2005

The best job he ever did was in 2004. I'm convinced there was something going on in 2005 that we still don't know about.

His comment was in response to the previous remark that Fulmer didn't let him really call the plays. That being said, I remember the NC game as a couple of solid running plays, two great pass/ catches by Tee and PP and not much else. I think Filmed could have done better in the off season and hired someone else. But in time we would discover that OC selection wasn't Phil's strong suit.

Typical Dooley post game interview:

"Well boys you know it takes about a decade to get caught up in recruiting. I have the best hair on either sideline, but even that can't overcome how sorry my players are. I wash, rinse, and always repeat...But these kids just don't seem to care!"

"If these kids only knew proper shower etiquette like I do, we might actually win a game."

Sanders was Fulmers first scapegoat.
Fulmer was the de facto Offensive Coordinator all along anyway since David Cutcliffe resigned to be the Ole Miss head coach. He would not turn Sanders loose to do his thing.

Actually that is very true I remember a game where The Orange was making a come back and after a TD Randy held up his fingers to go for two but Fulmer over ruled him. Saw Sanders upset a lot trying to coach and make Phil happy.

Must still be a good coach has not had a problem finding jobs since he left.

Actually that is very true I remember a game where The Orange was making a come back and after a TD Randy held up his fingers to go for two but Fulmer over ruled him. Saw Sanders upset a lot trying to coach and make Phil happy.

Must still be a good coach has not had a problem finding jobs since he left.

not defending Fulmer but I would say that's the coach's call. There were other examples that might fit though

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back