Did Fulmer fire Sanders midseason?

Fulmer fired Sanders about 6 years too late.

Randy resigned. After the Carolina loss, he came out of locker room to his family crying. His girls did not want to go to school the next week because they were constantly getting abuse from other kids. Randy tried to quit that night effective immediately. Cut and Fulmer convinced him to finish season or risk ruining any chance of getting another job after quitting in mid season. But he resigned, was not fired..

Randy resigned. After the Carolina loss, he came out of locker room to his family crying. His girls did not want to go to school the next week because they were constantly getting abuse from other kids. Randy tried to quit that night effective immediately. Cut and Fulmer convinced him to finish season or risk ruining any chance of getting another job after quitting in mid season. But he resigned, was not fired..

Cutcliffe?

Cutcliffe?

Yeah. David didn't coach during the 2005 season. He was going to be the OC at Notre Dame but had to have open heart surgery so he sat out the season. He and Phillip talked with Randy for 2 days and convinced him to just announce resignation effective end of season.

Reactions: 1 person
the players did not buy into it.. kind of like last years defensive players not buying into the 3-4. especially none of the QBs. hard to implement any offense if QBs struggle with it.

some players did lobby with Fulmer to take over offense but he would not do that. they continued to try and run Clawsens offense and didn't revert back to the Cutcliffe offense. Does anyone think that??

Crompton definitely didn't seem cut out for Clawson's system. I remember interviews with Clawson where he said the QB would come to the line with something like 4 to 5 plays and call one at the line depending on coverage. The mental side of the game never seemed to be Crompton's strong suit.

Clawson's offense must not be too great since he's 22-26 in his 4th yr as HC. And that's in the MAC

Crompton definitely didn't seem cut out for Clawson's system. I remember interviews with Clawson where he said the QB would come to the line with something like 4 to 5 plays and call one at the line depending on coverage. The mental side of the game never seemed to be Crompton's strong suit.

all the QBs struggled with it. none of the QBs liked Clawson. I did. Spoke with him multiple times and I liked him even though we struggled with the offense. He was a very, very smart man

That Auburn game where we gifted them a TD, and when we had great field position time after time late in the game to take the lead still burns me up. In hindsight, if Clawson had just dummied it down for Crompton, we probably would have won 2-3 more games that year.

Sanders was a DISASTER. It cannot be overstated how bad an OC he was. Unlike Chavis, who made mistakes early but quickly came into his own and became a /very good/ coordinator, Sanders just didn't know what he was doing. His promotion was the beginning of the end for Fulmer. Our offense was inept. We'd call timeouts and then get up to the line of scrimmage and have to call another TO because the players were confused. Fulmer was insecure and didn't want to bring in any top assistant coaches--he wanted to stick with his crew, and besides the Sanders debacle they all got stale (except Chavis). Then Clawson was another terrible hire. The offensive coaching woes really contributed to UT's downfall, that and the slow deterioration of our recruiting. Another problem was the Fulmer apparently liked to meddle with the offensive coaching duties after Cut left--and Fulmer did not have a good offensive mind. He was the OC for a time in the 90s but wasn't good--he was the OC in '90 when when we had a unit LOADED with talent and could only score 6 points against bama--one of our worst losses ever.

Yeah. David didn't coach during the 2005 season. He was going to be the OC at Notre Dame but had to have open heart surgery so he sat out the season. He and Phillip talked with Randy for 2 days and convinced him to just announce resignation effective end of season.

Thanks. Didn't know that.

Sanders was Fulmers first scapegoat.
Fulmer was the de facto Offensive Coordinator all along anyway since David Cutcliffe resigned to be the Ole Miss head coach. He would not turn Sanders loose to do his thing.

Agree with this, Fulmer was his worst enemy..

Thank you LWS.
I think you have cleared up a great deal of misconceptions that has been going around for years about Sanders and Clawson.

Agree with this, Fulmer was his worst enemy..

I posted that and truely believed it. I do not personally know LWSVOL but I have beeen on VN long enough to realize he is in the know about the program as much, if not more than any poster on VN.

I look at LWS as the E F Hutton of VN. When he speaks, people listen.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree on the offensive side of the ball. Coach Chavis developed a ton of talent and sent many to the league.

Chavis' specialty of linebackers plummeted over the years though, and most of them maxed out at depth level and no higher.

Drafted linebackers since 2001:
- Eric Westmoreland (44 games, 4 starts)
- Dominique Stevenson (21 games, 0 starts)
- Will Overstreet (6 games, 2 starts)
- Keyon Whiteside (12 games, 0 starts)
- Eddie Moore (18 games, 3 starts)
- Kevin Burnett (121 games, 60 starts)
- Kevin Simon (0 games)
- Omar Gaither (84 games, 44 starts)
- Marvin Mitchell (83 games, 3 starts)
- Jerod Mayo (74 games, 70 starts)

The careers of Gaither and Burnett diverge pretty quickly. Gaither came in as a starter, and has been relegated to depth. Burnett came in as depth, and became a starter.

Even in college, only a couple of those guys were pretty good. I always liked Eddie Moore, personally.

Clawson's offense must not be too great since he's 22-26 in his 4th yr as HC. And that's in the MAC

Bowling Green plays four non-conference games a year, most against BCS schools; they're 6-10 out of conference. Losses include Florida, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Michigan, and Boise State.

The worst year was the 2-10 2010 season; they'd lost basically their entire offense from the previous year, including All-American and record-setting receiver Freddie Barnes.

That Auburn game where we gifted them a TD, and when we had great field position time after time late in the game to take the lead still burns me up. In hindsight, if Clawson had just dummied it down for Crompton, we probably would have won 2-3 more games that year.

That was one thing that Kiffin and company managed to do well. Seemed like they simplified a lot of the reads and progressions so he didn't have to think as much.

all the QBs struggled with it. none of the QBs liked Clawson. I did. Spoke with him multiple times and I liked him even though we struggled with the offense. He was a very, very smart man

I always came away impressed when I heard him interviewed. It sounded like his system wasn't one that could be implemented quickly though.

typical dooley post game interview:

"well boys you know it takes about a decade to get caught up in recruiting. I have the best hair on either sideline, but even that can't overcome how sorry my players are. I wash, rinse, and always repeat...but these kids just don't seem to care! It's like a bunch o' Nazis trying to grow bamboo or sumpin'."

fyp...

I posted that and truely believed it. I do not personally know LWSVOL but I have beeen on VN long enough to realize he is in the know about the program as much, if not more than any poster on VN.

I look at LWS as the E F Hutton of VN. When he speaks, people listen.

If people don't listen to LWS, they should. Same for Ohio Vol. it is a treat to have them both posting in the same thread.

Everybody that was in the know knew that Fulmer hamstringed Sanders as the OC and let him take the heat! Sanders wasn't bad as an OC as has been evident since he left but the problem was Fulmer acrually liked him taking the heat. As far as Kiffen and Crompton all one has to do is look at Cut and Ainge-curl, quick outs and slants! No real vertical passing game.

VN Store

Back