Director of Recruiting change

Nouveaux

I saw on Twitter/X/whatever that Trey Johnson has been promoted into the Director of Recruiting role after being the Defensive Scouting Coordinator that last 3 years. I must have missed where Angelia Brummett left earlier this month.

Does anyone know what happened there and why she left? From the outside, it looked like she did a good job and had a great rapport with recruits. Hopefully this is a positive move for her and she's moving on to an even better role somewhere else.

Any insights on Johnson and what he'll bring to that role?

Her last tweet referencing UT was December 21. She has posted nothing in reference to UT or herself since then. I wish her well.

Per Volquest:

"Following the departure of Angelia Brummett earlier this month, Josh Heupel has tabbed Trey Johnson to be Tennessee’s new Director of Recruiting."

Last edited:
Our Director of Football Recruiting was previously a Woman? This is a good hire IMO

lol, my first thought is why she got the job in the first place. Not sorry, a woman should not be managing our football or basketball recruiting operations EVER!

lol, my first thought is why she got the job in the first place. Not sorry, a woman should not be managing our football or basketball recruiting operations EVER!
First, you must not follow UT football much if you didn’t know we had a women as Director of Recruiting.

Second, do you know what a Director of Recruiting does?

Third, please enlighten us why a women shouldn’t be Director of Recruiting.

Why? It's not setting up a recruiting board and evaluating prospects, the coaches do that.

The job entails planning the logistics of coaches going on the road, managing recruit schedules and contact information, and organizing and executing recruiting visits and junior days. She was the third woman at UT to hold the job, and females hold the director of recruiting operations post at about half of the SEC schools, including Georgia.

To answer the original question, she left because it's basically a 24/7/365 job and she was worn out from doing it for as long as she did. These jobs can be fun, but they're also super high stress and all-consuming. It's not your job so much as it's your lifestyle. There aren't a lot of long-termers in these jobs.

1) I live in Florida so no, I did not memorize the support staff yet.

2) if it’s all secretarial admin work, it’s not a “director”

3) FOOTBALL, it’s a MAN’S game, critical staff in all recruiting must be experienced in sport and know how to relate to players.

3) FOOTBALL, it’s a MAN’S game, critical staff in all recruiting must be experienced in sport and know how to relate to players.

there is a staff to be managed ihe position is not the lone ranger... You probably should just let it go since you're not familair with what the position does.. JMO

I'm surprised that this post made it to the internet since it appears to have been etched in the wall of your cave.

I would have agreed with your initial take had I not known what her position actually entailed

Just found out today on Facebook that Trey Johnson graduated from same HS as me Boyd-Buchanan in Chattanooga. Didn't even know but I graduated long, long time ago in 88'.
What year did you get out of Boyd? I left in 7th grade and graduated in 85 from another school in the area. Still stay in contact with several people from there

I understand it’s a lot of organizing, logistics, making sure things are going as planned, etc. I’m old school as anyone but I don’t think gender matters.

Years ago, I worked for a large company who had a retired military guy in a similar position for us. Everything was always on time, you knew where to go, what time to be there etc. Later I went to a larger company that had a Dingbat running it & every meeting was a cluster. It really depends on the person but organizing is the key.

I mean chief of staff tends to be a form secretarial work, for CEOs it’s basically chief of personal assistants lol

Living in Florida prevents you from using the internet? She was ALL OVER Twitter and other social media platforms. Secondly…. You didn’t familiarize yourself with them YET? She’s been on staff for 3 years. Was this something you were planning on doing next month? There’s no shame in not following closely enough to familiarize yourself with support staff. There’s total shame in acting like you were just about to get around To it. Also throwing shade at her for her gender when you didn’t even know who she was, or that she had the job is clown level.

VN Store

Back