Disband CFP Committee

I mean if this collection of nimwits doesn’t know college football, who does?
  • Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky athletics director
  • Tom Burman, Wyoming athletics director
  • Boo Corrigan, NC State athletics director
  • Rick George, Colorado athletics director
  • Chet Gladchuk, Navy athletics director
  • Jim Grobe, former head coach at Baylor/Wake Forest/Ohio
  • Warde Manuel, Michigan athletics director
  • Will Shields, former Nebraska offensive lineman
  • Gene Taylor, Kansas State athletics director
  • Joe Taylor, Virginia Union University vice president of athletics and community wellness
  • John Urschel, former Penn State offensive lineman
  • Rod West, former Notre Dame linebacker
  • Kelly Whiteside, Montclair State associate professor in sports media and journalism

Corrigan is a Notre Dame grad that worked at Notre Dame. Rick George graduated from Illinois and worked in the Big 10. Kelly Whiteside is a journalist and former professor at Rutgers who covered Olympic Sports during her career for USA Today. So 8 of the 13 have Big 10/Notre Dame ties. Joe Taylor spent most of his first decade coaching in Illinois. None of the committee were born/raised south of the Mason/Dixon line and Barnhardt is known for screwing Tennessee while on these committees for NCAA basketball seeding. Unbelievable.

Shroud and 'em have any shot at beating the Dawgs?!?! Ha! Is this Bennett's last year?!?!?

Shouldn't really be questioning the experts. The science has changed this year for them....

OSU is not dominant, they are about to get destroyed.

I did hear someone, I think Jesse, when Bama was shown as five say “even though TN beat them”

At the very least everyone on here did say had TN not lost we were in over OSU.

It doesn't need to be a point system IMO. It just needs to be well crafted criteria that is ALWAYS followed. Examples:

- Teams with the same record: Position based on H2H if the two teams played.
- Record against the top 25 in the CPF ranking (AP and Coaches polls are very political)
- Extra credit to the conference champion WINNERS. No participation trophy for the losers - they lost.
- Comparison to like opponents if there are any

etc.

This makes sense but I think you have to look a little deeper at the body of work. So I would say a top 25 victory is a quality win, top 15 is high quality win, top 5 is an elite win. Overall SOS should also play a small factor.

Reactions: Raebo
This is not a big shock with our loss to SC and Hendon getting hurt. I suppose it would have been nice to have been put ahead of Alabama but that’s just politics and bias. Certainty not on the field. But in the end, I’m happier with playing Clemson in the Orange Bowl than going to 💩 hole New Orleans. Will take that all day.

So, Tennessee is number one and gets beat by Georgia another top 4 ranked team and we drop to number 5.

TCU loses to team not ranked in the top 10 even and they don’t drop at all.

You can’t justify that in any way.

The drop from conference championships losses has almost always been minimal (like 1-3 spots) by the committee (save for 1 case with an Oklahoma State team whose OOC opponents were 2 group of 5 teams and an FCS team).

They’ve always pretty much cushioned the losing conference championship team, almost like a sort of benefit from earning and playing a 13th game while everyone else played 12 games and sat at home that week.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
The basketball tournament committee uses a lot of analytics to make their choices about who makes the tournament. When I sit here and listen to the football playoff selection committee, I hear more our test and body of work discussions and really absolutely nothing about analytics or computer rankings or anything like that.

That is what makes me mad. We have so many different computer rankings and all that unemotional data that people can take a look at to really make hard decisions based upon unbiased data that doesn’t give a crap about what your Pedegree is or what letter is on the side of your helmet.

If the college football playoff committee wants to survive, they need to do something more than just look at an eye test and names on helmets and use really hard data to really defend where they are and their decisions.

/end rant

This makes sense but I think you have to look a little deeper at the body of work. So I would say a top 25 victory is a quality win, top 15 is high quality win, top 5 is an elite win. Overall SOS should also play a small factor.

Agree and some of this is what the committee was supposedly using but they caved to the politics and media darling team of the week. It happened when they pushed TCU into the top 4. In reality they probably should wait until the end of the season and then evaluate everything with all information in front of them. They "check the boxes". And they should ignore the other polls and the hype train.

Reactions: 37620VOL
Listen to these clowns justifying Ohio st over Alabama.
A 2 loss 4th place SeC finish with the best win was over Texas.
Shouldn’t even be a discussion.
Total BS

VN Store

Back