Diversity, Inclusion, and Disqualification

I realize I am potentially uncorking a genie bottle with this one, but the variety of viewpoints found here is why I'm bringing it up.

I'm currently in the middle of a job hunt for the third summer in a row. My first position was eliminated because of COVID-related budget cuts. I was passed over for a permanent position (I held the interim) this time because of "intangibles", All of that is somewhere in the OT thread. There's more to the latter one, but it is what it is.

Long story short, I'm confused by multiple signals I'm getting in the job market and input I'm receiving from others close to me. The world is all about "Celebrate Diversity!" now, and that's cool. I'm glad to see my profession starting to mirror its participants. Many jobs I'm applying for note "Diverse applicants encouraged". At the same time, friends of mine in HR and a couple in the band world are counselling me to hide my disability. Remove anything about it from searchable media, social media, etc. Hide part of what makes me who I am.

I have one leg. It's part of who I am. Legally, I'm a protected class of citizen. I am legally considered a "diversity candidate." So why the push for me to hide it? It doesn't keep me from doing the job; my eyes, ears, and arms all work great. I have taught collegiate marching bands and even been a collegiate band director. So what if I'm 14% carbon fiber and 1% titanium?

If Diversity is the word of the age, then why should I hide what makes me diverse? Is Diversity just a code word for something else, and disabilities are not cool enough to make the cut?
Black men were the main ones on the front lines during the Civil Rights Era in this country getting the dogs, firehoses and lynchings, and yet, black men have been the least to benefit from these diversity moves. Women, Latinos and LGBTQs have benefitted the most. If you are a white male, I don't see how you realistically think that you are going to be able to jump the line over a woman, LatinX or LGBTQ when it comes to diversity.

Black men were the main ones on the front lines during the Civil Rights Era in this country getting the dogs, firehoses and lynchings, and yet, black men have been the least to benefit from these diversity moves. Women, Latinos and LGBTQs have benefitted the most. If you are a white male, I don't see how you realistically think that you are going to be able to jump the line over a woman, LatinX or LGBTQ when it comes to diversity.
You’re just another male oppressor.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Outside of Asian/Indian how many different ethnicities do you see in IT?
I was talking to a guy in our IT area and they are constantly getting dinged for their diversity. They have a lot of Indian/Asian employees but that’s not very diverse. They have to get VP approval to hire any more asians or Indians. HR tells them to hire more diverse candidates but HR is who gives them the short list of candidates to interview.

Diversity and inclusion is about race and sex, nothing more. If you’re white male you're a white male. Nothing is going to change that label. In a cynical way I would think your condition actually hurts your chances. Through a woke lens hiring you says they’d rather have a disabled white guy than an able bodied minority or female.
This all day, every day, forever. Diversity and Inclusion, for the most part, is code for non White male.

I create diverse teams for my employees when the opportunities arrive. I usually include 3 types of people regardless of race, age, or sex. A person who has been in the job for a while, a newer person, and someone on the outside (not too far on the outside). The color of their skin, sex, or fondness for peckers or not literally brings nothing to the table when I have a problem that needs to be solved.

I realize I am potentially uncorking a genie bottle with this one, but the variety of viewpoints found here is why I'm bringing it up.

I'm currently in the middle of a job hunt for the third summer in a row. My first position was eliminated because of COVID-related budget cuts. I was passed over for a permanent position (I held the interim) this time because of "intangibles", All of that is somewhere in the OT thread. There's more to the latter one, but it is what it is.

Long story short, I'm confused by multiple signals I'm getting in the job market and input I'm receiving from others close to me. The world is all about "Celebrate Diversity!" now, and that's cool. I'm glad to see my profession starting to mirror its participants. Many jobs I'm applying for note "Diverse applicants encouraged". At the same time, friends of mine in HR and a couple in the band world are counselling me to hide my disability. Remove anything about it from searchable media, social media, etc. Hide part of what makes me who I am.

I have one leg. It's part of who I am. Legally, I'm a protected class of citizen. I am legally considered a "diversity candidate." So why the push for me to hide it? It doesn't keep me from doing the job; my eyes, ears, and arms all work great. I have taught collegiate marching bands and even been a collegiate band director. So what if I'm 14% carbon fiber and 1% titanium?

If Diversity is the word of the age, then why should I hide what makes me diverse? Is Diversity just a code word for something else, and disabilities are not cool enough to make the cut?

I missed out on a temporary promotion long long ago and this was the excuse from my managers manager. The intangibles excuse to me means "I picked the person I like, not the person who would be best".

That being said, diversity in employment is really about race and sex/gender and disabilities, while making you diverse, would most likely fall into another category focused on hiring people with disabilities.

This site might help you out a bit: Hiring People with Disabilities | U.S. Department of Labor

I show up to work on time and I work hard. If 'diversity' for diversity's sake is better, then so be it.

There are some categories of “diversity” that are more obvious or visual in nature, and unfortunately these get prioritized by some. Other forms of “diversity” do not show up in a profile picture on the company website.

VN Store

Back