Does anyone have an entitlement to advantage based on birth?

lawgator1

A number of threads of late about immigration. I understand if you move to another country and through hard work earn a spot in that society.

But for the vast majority of Americans there seems to be an assumption that they are entitled to some presumption that they belong, and others do not, based on the happenstance of where they were born.

A number of threads of late about immigration. I understand if you move to another country and through hard work earn a spot in that society.

But for the vast majority of Americans there seems to be an assumption that they are entitled to some presumption that they belong, and others do not, based on the happenstance of where they were born.
Does this concern carpetbaggers?

Billions would want to be in America. That OK?

Nation building is real.

And should the current citizens of a nation state have a say?

Not sure why this is presented as an "American" view. The concept of birthright citizenship is not unique to the US.

Personally I have no problem with the concept of birthright citizenship and I wouldn't expect that if I entered any other country without following their immigration rules that I'd be entitled to citizenship there.

I don't feel entitled over legal immigrants. If they followed the program they have as much right to be here as I do. I do have issues with illegals; in general they and their offspring don't belong.

Don't belong based on where they were born.

Not sure why this is presented as an "American" view. The concept of birthright citizenship is not unique to the US.

Personally I have no problem with the concept of birthright citizenship and I wouldn't expect that if I entered any other country without following their immigration rules that I'd be entitled to citizenship there.
I lived abroad for 4 years in high school.

I was a registered legal alien in the nation i resided in. Had to carry a full color holographic ID at all times, and was required to present it on demand.

I guess we should of just snuck in the back door and demanded to be fed.

Bc LG is more off base then the clients that hire him

Because they didn't follow our immigration laws. This isn't hard. No Country on earth can you just show up and demand citizenship

It's taking up to 6 years to process asylum requests, by the way.

And the assumption you make points back to my question: because they were born elsewhere, they do not have the same entitlement you do to be here.

Reactions: n_huffhines
It's taking up to 6 years to process asylum requests, by the way.

And the assumption you make points back to my question: because they were born elsewhere, they do not have the same entitlement you do to be here.
It's not an assumption. It's a fact. And it's nothing we should feel bad about. Yes the system blows and needs serious fixes. And we need more immigration not less if we don't want to have to do massive austerity cuts. But your question is dumb.

It's not an assumption. It's a fact. And it's nothing we should feel bad about. Yes the system blows and needs serious fixes. And we need more immigration not less if we don't want to have to do massive austerity cuts. But your question is dumb.

Why is it dumb? It's a legitimate ethical issue. We don't control where we are born. If you are born 10 miles on the other side of the fictional line that is a border, your entire life is different.

Reactions: Sandman 423
Why is it dumb? It's a legitimate ethical issue. We don't control where we are born. If you are born 10 miles on the other side of the fictional line that is a border, your entire life is different.
Yes. It's a dumb question bc it's an indisputable fact. Hey guess what if the vagina I pop out of is worth billions my life will be set up to be better too. Or if it graduated college. Or high school. Or even grade school. Knows to read too. I mean you are a clown .

Part of being born is the lottery. Winners and losers. Sorry. Get over it.

But what if they were born 100 miles from the invisible man made line? I assume that’s ok.

Reactions: volinbham
Of course. But is it an entitlement by birth to belong whereas others are less worthy because they happened to be born elsewhere?

so if you sneak into Germany do you expect to have all the same rights as someone born there? would you consider yourself less worthy if you didn't receive all those same rights?

Reactions: norrislakevol
so if you sneak into Germany do you expect to have all the same rights as someone born there? would you consider yourself less worthy if you didn't receive all those same rights?

Good question. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong. I'm asking why one is right and one is wrong. So far, I'm getting a lot of "that's the way it is" answers, which has no reasoning to it.

Good question. I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong. I'm asking why one is right and one is wrong. So far, I'm getting a lot of "that's the way it is" answers, which has no reasoning to it.

might as well ask why are there even borders? why is there national sovereignty that is generally accepted by the world's people.

people have a right to self govern and have ownership of their collective lands - if anyone can make the claim then sovereignty and borders become meaningless.

there is a massive free-rider problem if any citizen in the world can lay claim to any particular countries rights and benefits

VN Store

Back