Does anyone one know what unis Tennessee is wearing this Saturday?

We wore white cleats several times under Fulmer. Pretty sure we did in ‘03 and 04. White cleats look a lot better w/ our unis IMO.

Could just be the first time I noticed the change. I know Kiffy did black cleats and I think of Fulmer using them with the all white uni with the black outline on the numbers (which I also don't like).

I agree it looks better. I'm not in favor of black on the traditional uniform at all. Leave that for alts.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Am I the only one who doesn't like the font we use for our numbers? It came from emulating the TN word mark Nike did for us a few years ago, but it looks so weak for the numbers. I wish we had our traditional numbers like this: which looks so better than this:

Attachments

• jerseys1.jpg
    jerseys1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 2
  • jersey2.jpg
    jersey2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Flovol
No, the white over orange is traditional. Johnny Majors teams almost always wore those on the road, with a few exceptions. Fulmer was the coach who made the stormtroopers the more common road uniform.
Curious. Why does Johnny Majors tenure get to define what’s traditional?

Before Majors Tennessee wore white pants with orange stripes on the road. It wasn’t until 1970 that the SEC required teams to wear white jerseys on the road. Before that and you can go back and look at old photos you would have Tennessee and Alabama both wearing their orange and crimson jerseys and both with white pants.

If anything Majors broke tradition with the orange pants. Hell even UGA used to wear white pants if we go back to the 70s. Colored pant options were probably pretty limited once you go back to the 50s/60s and prior.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Everytime I see an Adidas uniform (that wolfpack video as example) I am so thankful we are a Nike school. Everything Adidas puts out just looks like it's 10 years behind and looks so bad. Could just be me.
Adidas is so bad. The tire treads were the worst. State’s unis don’t have to be as bad as they are either. They used to be decent.

Reactions: volfaninky
Curious. Why does Johnny Majors tenure get to define what’s traditional?

Before Majors Tennessee wore white pants with orange stripes on the road. It wasn’t until 1970 that the SEC required teams to wear white jerseys on the road. Before that and you can go back and look at old photos you would have Tennessee and Alabama both wearing their orange and crimson jerseys and both with white pants.

If anything Majors broke tradition with the orange pants. Hell even UGA used to wear white pants if we go back to the 70s. Colored pant options were probably pretty limited once you go back to the 50s/60s and prior.
If we’re talking about traditional road uniforms, we’re obviously talking about 1970 forward. Because, as you allude, the same uniforms were worn home and away prior (which, frankly, I’d love to go back to). You’re correct, the orange pants didn’t debut until 1977, Majors’ first year.

It’s hard to define anything that Bill Battle did as “traditional Tennessee,” at least to me. But yes, his road uniforms were all white. Of course they also had the orange shoulder pads, which added more orange to the equation. We’re not doing that (other than a few homage games here and there). Those Majors road uniforms were the first really good UT road uniforms that screamed “Tennessee” and were clean. I guess if we want to call the Battle ones “traditional” because they were first, I get it. I take issue with folks saying all white is “traditional Tennessee” because that’s what Fulmer teams wore, however. I think many do, because they’re either too young to remember the Majors years or because that’s the last glory era for Tennessee.

If we’re talking about traditional road uniforms, we’re obviously talking about 1970 forward. Because, as you allude, the same uniforms were worn home and away prior (which, frankly, I’d love to go back to). You’re correct, the orange pants didn’t debut until 1977, Majors’ first year.

It’s hard to define anything that Bill Battle did as “traditional Tennessee,” at least to me. But yes, his road uniforms were all white. Of course they also had the orange shoulder pads, which added more orange to the equation. We’re not doing that (other than a few homage games here and there). Those Majors road uniforms were the first really good UT road uniforms that screamed “Tennessee” and were clean. I guess if we want to call the Battle ones “traditional” because they were first, I get it. I take issue with folks saying all white is “traditional Tennessee” because that’s what Fulmer teams wore, however. I think many do, because they’re either too young to remember the Majors years or because that’s the last glory era for Tennessee.
BILL Battle was a pretty good Xs&Os coach. His problem was recruiting really good football players .

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Actually, the team wore black cleats in Fulmer's era - at least during the 90s - can't recall when the full all white storm trooper came into existence. Seems like that's more of a newish thing.
Yeah. Not counting the shoes. That fad comes and goes when the uniform doesn't particularly change that much. Orange bottoms went away when Fulmer was coach, so white on white on the road by default during Fulmer's run.

Also, the white pants had no stripes in the Fulmer era (started with just the road unis then spread to the home uni as well). That’s not “traditional” IMO and even though we won a Natty in them, I always preferred the double stripes.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back