Does opting out affect NIL pay?

adam.vol

I would like for someone in the know to explain how NIL actually works. Some NIL sponsors contribute to get athletes to compete for a specific university.

1. Does a NIL deal cease the moment college playing time ends?

2. Is the norm that the players get paid up front or over time while meeting specific circumstances?

3. Is the sponsorship tied in with any sort of playing time?

4. With many players opting out of televised bowl games, does it cost the players NIL money to quit before the bowl game?

I don't know the details of their contracts. That's between the athlete and the company they are allowing to use their NIL.

I would think IF IT DOES then those specific parameters would need to be outlined in the NIL contract. Personally, I wouldn't think so because his representing the "brand" is still intact. But that's a highly uneducated guess.

Reactions: pimo1
I would like for someone in the know to explain how NIL actually works. Some NIL sponsors contribute to get athletes to compete for a specific university.

2. Is the norm that the players get paid up front or over time while meeting specific circumstances?

4. With many players opting out of televised bowl games, does it cost the players NIL money to quit before the bowl game?
1. Not tied to playing.

2. Depends on agreement.

3. No.

4. As long as they make appearances for their agreements they would be paid.

The agreement is a contract between the player and the collective. If he’s under contract he might still have some obligations to fulfill the terms even if he ceases playing. I’m certain every contract takes into consideration situations like this.

The first thing you need to understand is that NIL is not tied to playing or playing time. NIL is a system to ensure that amateur athletes receive payment for the use of their name, image, or likeness. This can be for jersey sales, commercial advertisements, even billboards used to promote the university, as they are local and in some cases national celebrities. What the schools have done is create collectives with private funds to entice athletes to come play at their school in exchange for lucrative promotional obligations.

It all started because EA Sports got sued by athletes for not compensating athletes they used in their video games. It’s why my #7 jersey doesn’t say “Clausen” on the back but now I can go buy a #10 with “White” on it. White will get a portion of that sale.

Last edited:

I don't know the details of their contracts. That's between the athlete and the company they are allowing to use their NIL.
i didn't think they had contract. i thought they just paid them. i mean, i don't see any players actual advertising a product except for ZZ. for all that money being spent, i would expect to see some commercial for a fast food place

Reactions: Flovol

A question I’d like to add. Are there any agents involved with these kids negotiating any NIL deals/contracts? I find it hard to believe that all these kids are negotiating these deals on their own

Has anyone seen an actual NIL contract other than the parties? Unless you have, how would anyone know?

Reactions: Volfan1000
I think the sponsors of the bowl games need to pony up and pay for best performers and pay well. You're going to see opt outs in the meaningless games at the end otherwise. Give them a reason to play and chance injury for nothing. None of the games reflect the season that team had, which is weird.

I think the sponsors of the bowl games need to pony up and pay for best performers and pay well. You're going to see opt outs in the meaningless games at the end otherwise. Give them a reason to play and chance injury for nothing. None of the games reflect the season that team had, which is weird.
Yeah, like fans aren't already paying enough for their sports? You do realize that these "sponsors who pony up" don't have a money tree or printing press like the govt, right? No matter how this thing finally ends up working, the money is coming out of the pocket of the consumer...you and me. And how happy are you going to be when you have to "pony up" a PPV fee for every single college football game? Might take a while, but I'll bet that the games everyone wants to watch will end up being PPV.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNgradmom and tbh
Yeah, like fans aren't already paying enough for their sports? You do realize that these "sponsors who pony up" don't have a money tree or printing press like the govt, right? No matter how this thing finally ends up working, the money is coming out of the pocket of the consumer...you and me. And how happy are you going to be when you have to "pony up" a PPV fee for every single college football game? Might take a while, but I'll bet that the games everyone wants to watch will end up being PPV.
Wut. Do you know what a sponsor is? They have money, that's why they are sponsors. You obviously don't know how much money advertising makes, it will never be PPV because the ad revenue would suffer. Its not boxing or some single event that happens a handful of times over long periods. There's dozens of games at the end, PPV is not a great option. It would spread too thin. They need ads and eyeballs.

Last edited:
Wut. Do you know what a sponsor is? They have money, that's why they are sponsors. You obviously don't know how much money advertising makes, it will never be PPV because the ad revenue would suffer.
Welp....I sure can't argue with that level of economic prowess. You got me.

Reactions: cgrish

NIL or brand sponsorship is nothing but a contract and each persons deal is going to different in terms of conditions I'm sure.

There's no amount of money they could pay that will compare to getting an NFL contract
No point.

I’d suspect the appearances, signings, etc will end as will the payments when you opt out, transfer, etc.

Reactions: Volfan1000
i didn't think they had contract. i thought they just paid them. i mean, i don't see any players actual advertising a product except for ZZ. for all that money being spent, i would expect to see some commercial for a fast food place
Alot of times it's more on the lines of players making appearances at stores/restaurants or promoting on social media. A few have been heard on commercials on radio. But you're right, most probably aren't "working" for it, they are just being paid.

Has anyone seen an actual NIL contract other than the parties? Unless you have, how would anyone know?
To my knowledge there's no such thing as an 'NIL' contract. It's just a brand sponsorship of which I have had many. I'm not an athlete but I can't imagine they are much different. None of these contracts are ever the same because the brands are all different companies and do things differently and then there are the talent agencies which are like a 3rd party that deals directly with the brands on behalf of the 'talent'.
Like I said I'm not an athlete but I'd still guess these contracts have no "performance" based clauses. I'm sure it's all public appearances and commercials etc.

Reactions: fossilfiction
The first thing you need to understand is that NIL is not tied to playing or playing time. NIL is a system to ensure that amateur athletes receive payment for the use of their name, image, or likeness. This can be for jersey sales, commercial advertisements, even billboards used to promote the university, as they are local and in some cases national celebrities. What the schools have done is create collectives with private funds to entice athletes to come play at their school in exchange for lucrative promotional obligations.

It all started because EA Sports got sued by athletes for not compensating athletes they used in their video games. It’s why my #7 jersey doesn’t say “Clausen” on the back but now I can go buy a #10 with “White” on it. White will get a portion of that sale.
This is only ONE aspect of NIL. The real money comes from brand sponsorships which are on a contact basis and a player can have many of these contracts with different brands.

To my knowledge there's no such thing as an 'NIL' contract. It's just a brand sponsorship of which I have had many. I'm not an athlete but I can't imagine they are much different. None of these contracts are ever the same because the brands are all different companies and do things differently and then there are the talent agencies which are like a 3rd party that deals directly with the brands on behalf of the 'talent'.
Like I said I'm not an athlete but I'd still guess these contracts have no "performance" based clauses. I'm sure it's all public appearances and commercials etc.
If a business goes into an "NIL agreement" with a player without there being a contract with terms being clearly defined, they're nuts and not long for the business world.

VN Store

Back