Does opting out affect NIL pay?

If a business goes into an "NIL agreement" with a player without there being a contract with terms being clearly defined, they're nuts and not long for the business world.
Yeah I don't think you understood what I said. There is definitely a contract with terms clearly defined, but they are all going to be defined differenty and most likely not performance based. Performance based meaning on the field performance.

As I said I'm pretty sure "NIL agreement" isn't an actual thing outside of the media coverage. It's just a contract signed with a brand.

You do X number of live appearances and X commercials and wear our gear and we will give you X dollars. That's most likely the extent of it.

To my knowledge there's no such thing as an 'NIL' contract. It's just a brand sponsorship of which I have had many. I'm not an athlete but I can't imagine they are much different. None of these contracts are ever the same because the brands are all different companies and do things differently and then there are the talent agencies which are like a 3rd party that deals directly with the brands on behalf of the 'talent'.
Like I said I'm not an athlete but I'd still guess these contracts have no "performance" based clauses. I'm sure it's all public appearances and commercials etc.
Contracts exist. Schools have to have oversight involving NIL. The athletes upload them for internal review to ensure the athlete and school comply with what regulations exist.

I would like for someone in the know to explain how NIL actually works. Some NIL sponsors contribute to get athletes to compete for a specific university.

1. Does a NIL deal cease the moment college playing time ends?

2. Is the norm that the players get paid up front or over time while meeting specific circumstances?

3. Is the sponsorship tied in with any sort of playing time?

4. With many players opting out of televised bowl games, does it cost the players NIL money to quit before the bowl game?
Personally, I hope that each of our former football players that have opted out of the bowl game absolutely flop out in the pros. That includes Small and our "former" quarterback and anyone else that I have missed.

The first thing you need to understand is that NIL is not tied to playing or playing time. NIL is a system to ensure that amateur athletes receive payment for the use of their name, image, or likeness. This can be for jersey sales, commercial advertisements, even billboards used to promote the university, as they are local and in some cases national celebrities. What the schools have done is create collectives with private funds to entice athletes to come play at their school in exchange for lucrative promotional obligations.

It all started because EA Sports got sued by athletes for not compensating athletes they used in their video games. It’s why my #7 jersey doesn’t say “Clausen” on the back but now I can go buy a #10 with “White” on it. White will get a portion of that sale.

Ed Bannon was a UCLA basketball player that was the one who started the lawsuit that sued EA Sports over name, image and likeness that was the precursor to NIL.

Reactions: JRich
I think the sponsors of the bowl games need to pony up and pay for best performers and pay well. You're going to see opt outs in the meaningless games at the end otherwise. Give them a reason to play and chance injury for nothing. None of the games reflect the season that team had, which is weird.

They're getting a free college education in exchange for playing. It's funny how the free college education--worth, what, about $60K a year (food, housing, health care, tutoring, coachingz)--never gets mentioned. The football players are already getting a handsome payout--but because it's not cash the activists who don't value education--and we know who THEY are--pretend the free education is nothing.

It's amazing how little is actually known about these NIL deals. How many of the players getting NIL money are actually making commercial appearances? How many actually have their names on any jerseys or other merch? I suspect NIL is in some, or many, cases, just giving money to players--which used to be illegal.

Reactions: cgrish
They're getting a free college education in exchange for playing.
That's hilarious you think these athletes are getting an education. Almost none get majors and when they do it's in some bs art, communication, or physical training. If you call that a university education, then lol. They're there simply to play a sport. They're education is so good that after retirement from a profession that nets them millions. They go broke fast. Nearly 80% have financial trouble after retirement and nearly 20% file bankruptcy. Real smart guys I tell you.

If only that were true….check contract of SF QB this year….less than 1mill ….compare to crappy burnt orange freshman(Manning) NIL deal…reported to be 3.2 Mill per season.

Just a little out of hand

Personally, I hope that each of our former football players that have opted out of the bowl game absolutely flop out in the pros. That includes Small and our "former" quarterback and anyone else that I have missed.
"Opted out" = quit on my team. Maybe for what some will say are legit reasons, but it is still quitting.

They're getting a free college education in exchange for playing. It's funny how the free college education--worth, what, about $60K a year (food, housing, health care, tutoring, coachingz)--never gets mentioned. The football players are already getting a handsome payout--but because it's not cash the activists who don't value education--and we know who THEY are--pretend the free education is nothing.

It's amazing how little is actually known about these NIL deals. How many of the players getting NIL money are actually making commercial appearances? How many actually have their names on any jerseys or other merch? I suspect NIL is in some, or many, cases, just giving money to players--which used to be illegal.
60k a year? Where? ETSU? At UT for 2024 for example:

For 12 credit hours for an out of state student, it’s almost 16k a semester. That’s not including private tutors, world class nutrition, private trainers and dieticians, excellent healthcare and the best dorms. How much extra money would all that stuff be? A few extra thousand a semester? So let’s be conservative and say it’s an extra 2k a semester.

So for an out of state player that’s on a full scholarship, staying 3 years, they are getting over 100k in free education. Oh and Inforgot to mention if the player wants to major in engineering, business, nursing or architecture, there are extra per credit hour fees.

Was this thread based on the weird idea that we have opt outs that we will miss?

I think the sponsors of the bowl games need to pony up and pay for best performers and pay well. You're going to see opt outs in the meaningless games at the end otherwise. Give them a reason to play and chance injury for nothing. None of the games reflect the season that team had, which is weird.
I agree. The bowl sponsors should pay an appearance fee to the players and in return they participate in promotional events during the week of the game.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
60k a year? Where? ETSU? At UT for 2024 for example:

For 12 credit hours for an out of state student, it’s almost 16k a semester. That’s not including private tutors, world class nutrition, private trainers and dieticians, excellent healthcare and the best dorms. How much extra money would all that stuff be? A few extra thousand a semester? So let’s be conservative and say it’s an extra 2k a semester.

So for an out of state player that’s on a full scholarship, staying 3 years, they are getting over 100k in free education. Oh and Inforgot to mention if the player wants to major in engineering, business, nursing or architecture, there are extra per credit hour fees.
I know personally that in state, staying in Stokely, full class load and complete meal plan was $29,000 last year, before any financial aid.

I agree. The bowl sponsors should pay an appearance fee to the players and in return they participate in promotional events during the week of the game.
I could get behind this. Bowl games bring in plenty of revenue for the venue and city. Tennessee fans fill hotels at inflated prices, the nicer restaurants, and bars, not to mention "special" bowl pricing, VIP packages, and alcohol sales at the stadium.

Giving the players a financial incentive would be relative peanuts. My only question would be how "playing time" could be enforced. E.g.: Milton is apparently with the team. He would still be able to fulfill appearances, advertising, etc without ever putting on a helmet.

I know personally that in state, staying in Stokely, full class load and complete meal plan was $29,000 last year, before any financial aid.
I don’t think the number even matters
much. By any metric, the cost of scholarships is no more than 5-6% of total football revenue. It’s a crazy low number for what is effectively Labor cost.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Contracts exist. Schools have to have oversight involving NIL. The athletes upload them for internal review to ensure the athlete and school comply with what regulations exist.
Yeah as I said there are contracts but they aren't called "NIL" contracts. They are just various brand sponsorship deals. NIL is just a buzzword used by the media.

I would like for someone in the know to explain how NIL actually works. Some NIL sponsors contribute to get athletes to compete for a specific university.

2. Is the norm that the players get paid up front or over time while meeting specific circumstances?

4. With many players opting out of televised bowl games, does it cost the players NIL money to quit before the bowl game?
It seems that the NIL booster could arrange an autograph session for the players who played in the game, and not invite the ones who didn't.

Such a bitter person.

They don't owe you anything.

All these companies funding NIL deals are going to eventually see there is very little return on investment in giving a high school recruit a load of cash to pimp their business. If used solely because the company owner is a huge fan and wants to get the best recruits out there then maybe it goes on for a little while longer but this thing is going to fizzle out soon and be replaced by revenue sharing.

It will be a totally different can of worms due to ALL student athletes wanting a share, not just the stars in one sport. So many questions will have to be answered. Will the players unionize? Will they unionize as a collective group or by sport? Will the revenue sharing be based on revenue generated by your sport? In other words, will the baseball and track teams get the same share as football? Or not? Will the other less revenue producing sports unionize and sue for equal share?

And will scholarships go away in a revenue sharing model? If so, rosters will become even more of a revolving door

NIL deals cannot have any relationship with playing time or performance in anyway whatsoever. Pay for play is still illegal in the NCAA. NIL deals are basically endorsement deals where a player can earn money off of his popularity.

I think we'll see way fewer opt outs beginning next year since there will be 12 teams in the playoffs. Those will be the ones we want to watch. You'd have to be very selfish to opt out of a playoff game.

I think we'll see way fewer opt outs beginning next year since there will be 12 teams in the playoffs. Those will be the ones we want to watch. You'd have to be very selfish to opt out of a playoff game.

It won't surprise me in the least to see opt outs on the 7th through 12th seeded teams.

VN Store

Back