Donald J. Trump - Worst President in Modern History

MontyPython

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
With Trump's 2nd impeachment stemming from his incitement of the Capitol Insurrection of 2021, it's unequivocally official that he is the WORST PRESIDENT IN MODERN HISTORY dating back to the Andrew Johnson debacle of 1865.

For those of you who voted for him, well, the blame is on your shoulders. I get it, the alternative was crap in HRC. But, you have to admit, Trump was a disaster.

Still defending him? If so, man, you got issues a mile high.

At any rate, can't tell you how EXCITED I am to watch this reality TV show get cancelled next week.

The walk of shame by Dumb Donald shall be epic.

Thank God our national disaster of a President is over.

With Trump's 2nd impeachment stemming from his incitement of the Capitol Insurrection of 2021, it's unequivocally official that he is the WORST PRESIDENT IN MODERN HISTORY dating back to the Andrew Johnson debacle of 1865.

For those of you who voted for him, well, the blame is on your shoulders. I get it, the alternative was crap in HRC. But, you have to admit, Trump was a disaster.

At any rate, can't tell you how EXCITED I am to watch this reality TV show get cancelled next week.

What was so bad about Andrew Johnson? Was he a dictator of sorts? Did he champion some landmark legislation that turned out to be a lasting disaster? Did he entangle us in endless war? Was he a part in leading us to civil war? Did he spend us into oblivion? Did he usurp power from other branches of government? Did he undermine the bill of rights/constitution in a way that set a permanent precedent? Was he extremely corrupt?

I'm pretty sure the answer to all of this is "no" and people really need to rethink what makes a guy a bad president.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
What was so bad about Andrew Johnson? Was he a dictator of sorts? Did he champion some landmark legislation that turned out to be a lasting disaster? Did he entangle us in endless war? Was he a part in leading us to civil war? Did he spend us into oblivion? Did he usurp power from other branches of government? Did he undermine the bill of rights/constitution in a way that set a permanent precedent? Was he extremely corrupt?

I'm pretty sure the answer to all of this is "no" and people really need to rethink what makes a guy a bad president.

Hmmm...

Well, I tend to get stuck on some of the thornier things said by the man who was thrust into Presidency upon Lincoln's death...

“This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government for white men,” he wrote in 1866.

Reactions: lostsheep

Interesting...

Hmmm...

Well, I tend to get stuck on some of the thornier things said by the man who was thrust into Presidency upon Lincoln's death...

“This is a country for white men, and by God, as long as I am President, it shall be a government for white men,” he wrote in 1866.

Let me guess you think Lincoln was one of the best?

Hmmm...

I can pull up some pretty disturbing quotes from Lincoln, if 1860's racism is what moves the meter for you.

I can pull up some pretty disturbing quotes about race from Lincoln, if that's what moves the meter for you.

No, you're right. Lincoln's public views on slavery evolved mightily. His private views were apparently more subdued and non racist. Presume politics was involved.

Guess not.

I'm curious what your total criteria is for a "bad" President versus a "good" President versus "just held office, nothing good or bad really happened."

Reactions: Sandman 423
Guess not.

I'm curious what your total criteria is for a "bad" President versus a "good" President versus "just held office, nothing good or bad really happened."

There is a good book called Recarving Rushmore and the author ranks everybody based on how they promoted prosperity, liberty, and peace from a small government perspective. He discusses several biases we have that overrate presidents* and tries to cut through that to rate what he (and I) sees as the substance. I don't totally agree with the subjective judgments he arrives at, but I think his approach is pretty sound.

So yeah, if you're a president who did a little less than you should have, he's going to rank you ahead of FDR, who did way more than he should have.

*were they effective in pushing their agenda, charismatic, serving during a crisis (that they may have created themselves)

Reactions: MemphisVol77
There is a good book called Recarving Rushmore and the author ranks everybody based on how they promoted prosperity, liberty, and peace from a small government perspective. He discusses several biases we have that overrate presidents* and tries to cut through that to rate what he (and I) sees as the substance. I don't totally agree with the subjective judgments he arrives at, but I think his approach is pretty sound.

So yeah, if you're a president who did a little less than you should have, he's going to rank you ahead of FDR, who did way more than he should have.

*were they effective in pushing their agenda, charismatic, serving during a crisis (that they may have created themselves)

Interesting...

I figure I'll have a go at this and format it to current times with Trump as your object of affection...

Was he a dictator of sorts? Trump, contrary to all the rhetoric from the left, stayed within the Constitution on his powers. He never really made the threat of the "pen and phone" to coerce Congress or took power for himself that wasn't given to him by law. On the contrary, the other branches of government took far more power than they should have even going as far as breaking the law.

Did he champion some landmark legislation that turned out to be a lasting disaster? Not at all. Of course, getting anything passed after 2018 and the midterms was going to be impossible

Did he entangle us in endless war? No and on the contrary, started drawing down significantly in places we were at. I think given a second term, we would have been out of Afghanistan.

Was he a part in leading us to civil war? Debatable and there's plenty of guilt on both sides of the political equation on that remark.

Did he spend us into oblivion? Of course, but every President is guilty of that. And Congress is as much to blame as anyone. Power of the purse and all.

Did he usurp power from other branches of government? Nope. In fact, they've tried usurping it from him.

Did he undermine the bill of rights/constitution in a way that set a permanent precedent? No or they would have impeached him for it a long time ago. And I would have supported such an impeachment.

Was he extremely corrupt? Probably. But then again, judging him against his peers in the role of President, that's not exactly a high bar.

frankly you seem to have an obsession with him if you are cheering on the cancellation of a reality show that you probably don't even watch, please seek help.

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back