Don't down play being number 1 on Rivals right now

NEO

Eat at Joe's
Whether you like it or not, we live in a society that loves to jump on bandwagons and to be blunt bandwagons are all about hype.

Nobody wants to miss the next big thing. The "next big thing" sells movie tickets, albums, sneakers, game tickets, and yes....most importantly it attracts high quality, 4 star and 5 star recruits.

There are alot of people on here who don't get how much it matters that we are number 1 on Rivals right now. They will say its July, NSD is months away (gee, thanks for sharing who knew?) and that Butch has to win this game or that game or our class will fall apart.

The fact is they are wrong. And here is why:

This class believes it is the turning point. This class believes they are coming in to bring TN back to the promise land. They are viewing themselves as the saviors of the program...the Legacy class...and in many, many ways they are correct. Most of the kids don't give a damn what record TN finishes with because that's what they are coming here to fix. They are coming to TN to help Butch fix this mess because oh yes Butch gets it.

That is hype. That is the kind of hype that builds a number one class. Terms like Legacy. The foundation. The bricks that rebuilt TN. That sells. And recruits feel that.

So don't down play us being number 1. Don't just say we have a shot at being in the top 10 or 15 on Rivals after NSD because you're scared. Look at the facts. We have owned the top few spot for a while now. We have floated near the top since January one. And yes, we have kicked Bamas ass and Floridas ass all year long. WE ARE GOING UP AGAINST THEM IN RECRUITING AND WINNING!!! When is the last time we even tried to go up agains them and I stress tried?

So don't down play us being number 1 right now. Every recruit in the world sees that and sees us pulling top players left and right. That is a big deal. That is huge. And that isn't how it has been since oh....well, about the time we won our last Championship.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 93 people
Whether you like it or not, we live in a society that loves to jump on bandwagons and to be blunt bandwagons are all about hype.

Nobody wants to miss the next big thing. The "next big thing" sells movie tickets, albums, sneakers, game tickets, and yes....most importantly it attracts high quality, 4 star and 5 star recruits.

There are alot of people on here who don't get how much it matters that we are number 1 on Rivals right now. They will say its July, NSD is months away (gee, thanks for sharing who knew?) and that Butch has to win this game or that game or our class will fall apart.

This class believes it is the turning point. This class believes they are coming in to bring TN back to the promise land. They are viewing themselves as the saviors of the program...the Legacy class...and in many, many ways they are correct. Most of the kids don't give a damn what record TN finishes with because that's what they are coming here to fix. They are coming to TN to help Butch fix this mess because oh yes Butch gets it.

That is hype. That is the kind of hype that builds a number one class. Terms like Legacy. The foundation. The bricks that rebuilt TN. That sells. And recruits feel that.

So don't down play us being number 1. Don't just say we have a shot at being in the top 10 or 15 on Rivals after NSD because you're scared. Look at the facts. We have owned the top few spot for a while now. We have floated near the top since January one. And yes, we have kicked Bamas ass and Floridas ass all year long. WE ARE GOING UP AGAINST THEM IN RECRUITING AND WINNING!!! When is the last time we even tried to go up agains them and I stress tried?

So don't down play us being number 1 right now. Every recruit in the world sees that and sees us pulling top players left and right. That is a big deal. That is huge. And that isn't how it has been since oh....well, about the time we won our last Championship.

Go Vols!
Entirely too positive for Vol Nation viewers. Heads could explode.

Reactions: 8 people

Go Vols!

Tl;Dr

Reactions: 2 people

Go Vols!

I'm really excited about the recruiting job that Butch and staff are doing so don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way.

the 247.com recruiting analysts are far superior to Rivals staff. 247 has UT ranked 9th at this juncture. Being number one is nice in any ranking, but 247 gives more realistic picture of the talent.

jmo

Reactions: 1 person
I'm really excited about the recruiting job that Butch and staff are doing so don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way.

the 247.com recruiting analysts are far superior to Rivals staff. 247 has UT ranked 9th at this juncture. Being number one is nice in any ranking, but 247 gives more realistic picture of the talent.

jmo

Exactly, way too much silliness being made about our class being number 1 on rivals. No-one gives a crap at this point (no-one knowledgeable that is). Bama, Fla, Ga and others will most likely surpass us b4 NSD, but CBJ and staff will have a great class regardless.

Reactions: 3 people

jmo
Hey don't take this the wrong way but STFU.
:)

Reactions: 24 people
Exactly, way too much silliness being made about our class being number 1 on rivals. No-one gives a crap at this point (no-one knowledgeable that is). Bama, Fla, Ga and others will most likely surpass us b4 NSD, but CBJ and staff will have a great class regardless.

I disagree because we can pull 31 and rivals counts the top 20 only bro. we have three that could end up five stars and three that should get bumped to four stars...which lws failed to mention. plus we should pull another six to seven four stars so do the math. it puts us atleast in top three and would place us ahead of points for Obama's number one class finish last year.

just saying.

but don't like the facts get in the way of ur silliness comment.

Most people won't pay close enough attention to know that UT might get passed. It's good publicity just to be up there right now.
The fact of the matter is that we've dropped off quite a bit as a program- and we all know that. It's going to take several steps for us to get back, and getting up always takes longer than falling. This is just a small step- but it's a necessary one. No reason to not celebrate it.

jmo

Class rankings are based on how many players you get and how highly they are ranked. We have more players right now and are ranked high because of it. Our coaches have done an extraordinary job up to this point and we are all excited. I check volnation more than once a day to make sure I don't miss something. As far as Rivals being inferior to 247, I don't necessarily agree with you on that one. Rivals has been doing this for a long time and has a pretty good system. Whatever the case on that one, I know the real deal when I see it and CBJ is getting it done so far.

I disagree because we can pull 31 and rivals counts the top 20 only bro. we have three that could end up five stars and three that should get bumped to four stars...which lws failed to mention. plus we should pull another six to seven four stars so do the math. it puts us atleast in top three and would place us ahead of points for Obama's number one class finish last year.

just saying.

but don't like the facts get in the way of ur silliness comment.

So "facts" are opinions that say our guys will get bumped up in the ratings? Don't think that is a fact. Most of the "experts" currently project us anywhere from the 5 to 12 range when it is all said and done. A GREAT CLASS. But do not act like your opinion that x person should be a 5 or y person a 4 is accurate. You do not know nor do I.

Volfanhill, we have three recruits rated 6.0 and SEVEN players ranked 5.7 on rivals.

A bump to 5.8 makes you a 4 star and a bump to 6.1 makes you a 5 star.

Its simple math. If SEVEN guys are .1 away from being 4 stars and 3 guys are .1 away from being 5 stars somebody is going to get bumped.

The other thing that goes into our favor is Butch just had the guy he recruited go first in the draft and that recruit was not a big name coming out of high school. These recruiting sites do go by their perception of how well a coach can judge players and most respect Butch's opinion.

Again 7 guys ranked 5.7 and three ranked 6.0

This isn't a Dooley class filled with low end three stars.

Reactions: 2 people

Go Vols!

Cliff notes please I tuned out after "next big thing". A.D.D is a beoch.

VN Store

Back