Don't down play being number 1 on Rivals right now

I'm really excited about the recruiting job that Butch and staff are doing so don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way.

the 247.com recruiting analysts are far superior to Rivals staff. 247 has UT ranked 9th at this juncture. Being number one is nice in any ranking, but 247 gives more realistic picture of the talent.

jmo

Actually, this morning we're no. 7, but I get what you're trying to say.

Class rankings are based on how many players you get and how highly they are ranked. We have more players right now and are ranked high because of it. Our coaches have done an extraordinary job up to this point and we are all excited. I check volnation more than once a day to make sure I don't miss something. As far as Rivals being inferior to 247, I don't necessarily agree with you on that one. Rivals has been doing this for a long time and has a pretty good system. Whatever the case on that one, I know the real deal when I see it and CBJ is getting it done so far.

247 has hired the majority of Rivals analysts. 247 guys created the rating system used by Rivals. 247 has and continues to improve the system at 247..

its not just a system but it is the "experts" that review each recruit and then rank them. they are at 247 now, mostly

it's always a good thing to be doing great at whatever it is (in this case commitments to a recruiting class at this time of year). they should stick and will end up being rated as a very good recruiting class which tennessee desperately needs.

however, there is no hype. no one pays attention to any of this stuff except the die hard college football fan. so, it's not as if the lead story across the country is tennessee's current recruiting ranking.

and of course the class believes in itself, all recruiting classes worth a crud do. no one signs a scholarship anticipating that they are going to stink up the joint or the team will stink up the joint. no one imagines they'll transfer or be kicked off the team either.

all in all, it's great news and desperately needed.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey don't take this the wrong way but STFU.
:)

LWSVOL has a point but it is nice seeing that long positive post. GO VOLS!

Now, as for LWSVOL, the 9th ranking actually is more realistic. We have yet to get commits in meaningful numbers to fill both the OL and DL fronts. It's all well and fine to have lots of QBs, RBs, WRs etc. But somebody has to be up front to make plays possible and stop opponents' offenses. Until we really fill these holes and do it significantly, we aren't really number 1.
But it's good to see good players coming to the T-country.

it's always a good thing to be doing great at whatever it is (in this case commitments to a recruiting class at this time of year). they should stick and will end up being rated as a very good recruiting class which tennessee desperately needs.

however, there is no hype. no one pays attention to any of this stuff except the die hard college football fan. so, it's not as if the lead story across the country is tennessee's current recruiting ranking.

and of course the class believes in itself, all recruiting classes worth a crud do. no one signs a scholarship anticipating that they are going to stink up the joint or the team will stink up the joint. no one imagines they'll transfer or be kicked off the team either.

I agree and I am not trying to make it sound bad. Just stating an opinion from knowing the people at both places and who has done what.. it is good and the job Jones and staff are doing is outstanding

Even 9th in the country at this point is a vast improvement over what we are used to lately. We will only get better at recruiting as we win some games next year. People forget that our coach can coach.

I don't know who works where or who has the better analysts. What I do believe from following a lot on Twitter is that the ranking does matter to recruits... Current players are involved in projecting their excitement about our current commits and our current commits are spreading the word about our current ranking and some potential recruits are getting curious and excited about what is going on here... Many have stated in interviews about our rankings and being part of something special and helping rebuild TN . The face of recruiting has changed drastically with social media and it's not a bad thing. So anytime you have an edge regardless if we stay ranked high it is bring noticed.

Exactly, way too much silliness being made about our class being number 1 on rivals. No-one gives a crap at this point (no-one knowledgeable that is). Bama, Fla, Ga and others will most likely surpass us b4 NSD, but CBJ and staff will have a great class regardless.

You completely missed his point.

Recruiting has now become an ongoing marathon. One class is signed and the next race has already started and even the next one after that. No doubt this Legacy class is special and certainly all this energy and enthusiasm will, or has, been infectious for the Vols who have been Team over the transition(s). In some ways, all of us are recruiters. We hear mention that the people that recruiters and their families talk to while they are in the Knoxville area present a positive atmosphere. And then there are the games themselves, expecially those that are nationally televised. Whether we like the network or the commentators or not, they do make statements about the stadium attendance and noise. When the coaches bring recruits in the stadium, the stadium atmosphere is also a selling tool. So while Butch and coaching staff, the current Vols, the incoming Vols, the Legacy Vols and all the recruits in the 2014 Class all are doing their job to build Brick by Brick, let us fans do your job by being at Neyland. For those of us who have the means to attend and choose to sit back and watch the big screen TV and tailgate from home, think again. Be part of the rebuilding process yourselves. Be at Neyland. Let's get that average attendance back toward 100,000 or get that number back over 100,000 and reverse the nationwide trend. Halfway through the season when the Legacy Class is still yet unsigned, it would be great to hear that general attendance in the SEC is slightly ahead of last year because of the big rebound in attendance at UT games, otherwise the overall attendance would be behind 2012. Then we can also say, "The fans get it". RISE TO THE TOP, BRICK BY BRICK, GBO!

Reactions: 6 people
There are alot of question marks still...will this class hold up? will we get the linemen we desperately need to compete in the SEC? Is this class an outlier due to the legacies or does it truly represent Butch and his staff's ability to recruit longterm? Will we even finish ahead of Kentucky? etc. etc.

But there is little denying that up to this point, Butch has done pretty much everything right with assembling this class and that's something to be excited about.

Great Class so far....I will take it no matter where it stacks up on the NSD board....It is only part of the equation....

Getting them here and settled Academically and physically in shape is another.....Coaching and teaching another and then
GameDay on the Hilltop in the SEC.....Any Game Day on the Hilltop is earned...

Jones Gets it....one step at a time....we are lucky that he is taking this methodical approach to His job and staff....He is not just throwing a bunch of kids into a mixing bowl and hoping it gels....

He knows what he is doing....The Legacies are the ingredient that will firm up this class.....Along with the others that are recruiting and that want to be here....J.Hurd....

Every recruit that is hitting campus is great advertising because of their positive attitudes and comments....

As Fans Let's not screw this up......A number 1 class is meaningless if it is not teachable....coachable.....Jones seems to be the type of coach that will get 110% out of his players.....

the 7 is the composite ranking they do by taking several recruiting services rank and averaging all the rankings.

Once they adjust Helms ranking(which they should) we will be top 5.

And I agree with you about 247.

First or Seventh........... Very little difference.

The Major difference in this staff is the energy and excitement they are bringing. We notice and apparently recruits are as well.

I'm thoroughly impressed at this point. GO VOLS

Volfanhill, we have three recruits rated 6.0 and SEVEN players ranked 5.7 on rivals.

A bump to 5.8 makes you a 4 star and a bump to 6.1 makes you a 5 star.

Its simple math. If SEVEN guys are .1 away from being 4 stars and 3 guys are .1 away from being 5 stars somebody is going to get bumped.

The other thing that goes into our favor is Butch just had the guy he recruited go first in the draft and that recruit was not a big name coming out of high school. These recruiting sites do go by their perception of how well a coach can judge players and most respect Butch's opinion.

Again 7 guys ranked 5.7 and three ranked 6.0

This isn't a Dooley class filled with low end three stars.

If you get rid of our kicker commit and the Greyshirt kid then our average Rivals ranking is 5.78.

So basically we have 16 commits that are the lowest rated 4 star possible on average.

That is pretty stellar.

Reactions: 3 people
Whether you like it or not, we live in a society that loves to jump on bandwagons and to be blunt bandwagons are all about hype.

Nobody wants to miss the next big thing. The "next big thing" sells movie tickets, albums, sneakers, game tickets, and yes....most importantly it attracts high quality, 4 star and 5 star recruits.

There are alot of people on here who don't get how much it matters that we are number 1 on Rivals right now. They will say its July, NSD is months away (gee, thanks for sharing who knew?) and that Butch has to win this game or that game or our class will fall apart.

The fact is they are wrong. And here is why:

This class believes it is the turning point. This class believes they are coming in to bring TN back to the promise land. They are viewing themselves as the saviors of the program...the Legacy class...and in many, many ways they are correct. Most of the kids don't give a damn what record TN finishes with because that's what they are coming here to fix. They are coming to TN to help Butch fix this mess because oh yes Butch gets it.

That is hype. That is the kind of hype that builds a number one class. Terms like Legacy. The foundation. The bricks that rebuilt TN. That sells. And recruits feel that.

So don't down play us being number 1. Don't just say we have a shot at being in the top 10 or 15 on Rivals after NSD because you're scared. Look at the facts. We have owned the top few spot for a while now. We have floated near the top since January one. And yes, we have kicked Bamas ass and Floridas ass all year long. WE ARE GOING UP AGAINST THEM IN RECRUITING AND WINNING!!! When is the last time we even tried to go up agains them and I stress tried?

So don't down play us being number 1 right now. Every recruit in the world sees that and sees us pulling top players left and right. That is a big deal. That is huge. And that isn't how it has been since oh....well, about the time we won our last Champ AT LAST, some good news. Butch is the man to lead us out of this hell we have endured since we played LSU in Atlanta . Praise he lord! I have wondered why a great player wants to go to Bama and wait 2 years to start when he could come here and start from day 1.

Sounds like someone wanted Bates. :)

Reactions: 3 people
First or Seventh........... Very little difference.

The Major difference in this staff is the energy and excitement they are bringing. We notice and apparently recruits are as well.

I'm thoroughly impressed at this point. GO VOLS

I actually agree. its much more important that Tennessee be in the top 3 of SEC schools as far as rankings go. Where we are nationally is not as big a deal as where we are with our SEC rivals.

I said when Jones was hired, he would need to be top 3 SEC schools in recruiting to keep fans excitement up as we move toward 2014 season..

So don't down play us being number 1 right now. Every recruit in the world sees that and sees us pulling top players left and right.

Go Vols!

so, your premise is that top recruits see UT's ranking and that makes them want to jump on the big orange bus?

you may be right, and it would be nice if you are, but i have to wonder how this conclusion gets made? are the recruits saying that?

i'm not sure of the significance of a #1 Rivals ranking a full 7 months before NSD, but i sure as hell prefer a #1 ranking over a ranking of #50 or #32 or whatever.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back