Don't down play being number 1 on Rivals right now

I actually agree. its much more important that Tennessee be in the top 3 of SEC schools as far as rankings go. Where we are nationally is not as big a deal as where we are with our SEC rivals.

I said when Jones was hired, he would need to be top 3 SEC schools in recruiting to keep fans excitement up as we move toward 2014 season..

well, we are close. i said top 5 SEC, top 10 overall.

Like tm3 said, "i'm not sure of the significance of a #1 Rivals ranking a full 7 months before NSD, but i sure as hell prefer a #1 ranking over a ranking of #50 or #32 or whatever."

This place was buzzing last month with #1 recruiting talk but the moment UT fell out of the #1 spot there wasn't a word mentioned about it. So it seems it is only important when UT is holding the top spot.

Getting wound up about this stuff at this point is like popping champagne bottles on pit row after leading lap 37 of the Daytona 500.

Like tm3 said, "i'm not sure of the significance of a #1 Rivals ranking a full 7 months before NSD, but i sure as hell prefer a #1 ranking over a ranking of #50 or #32 or whatever."

This place was buzzing last month with #1 recruiting talk but the moment UT fell out of the #1 spot there wasn't a word mentioned about it. So it seems it is only important when UT is holding the top spot.

Getting wound up about this stuff at this point is like popping champagne bottles on pit row after leading lap 37 of the Daytona 500.
Yes ppl do talk when your #1 in anything. No one wants to Bragg about being in 5th, 6th, or 10th place. That's why we're talking we're #1.
I do like your NASCAR comparison though. We do have a long way to go.

I disagree because we can pull 31 and rivals counts the top 20 only bro. we have three that could end up five stars and three that should get bumped to four stars...which lws failed to mention. plus we should pull another six to seven four stars so do the math. it puts us atleast in top three and would place us ahead of points for Obama's number one class finish last year.

just saying.

but don't like the facts get in the way of ur silliness comment.

Lots of could's and if's in that post genius. Better to keep quite and have people think your stupid than post and remove all doubt lmao.

Whether you like it or not, we live in a society that loves to jump on bandwagons and to be blunt bandwagons are all about hype.

Nobody wants to miss the next big thing. The "next big thing" sells movie tickets, albums, sneakers, game tickets, and yes....most importantly it attracts high quality, 4 star and 5 star recruits.

There are alot of people on here who don't get how much it matters that we are number 1 on Rivals right now. They will say its July, NSD is months away (gee, thanks for sharing who knew?) and that Butch has to win this game or that game or our class will fall apart.

The fact is they are wrong. And here is why:

This class believes it is the turning point. This class believes they are coming in to bring TN back to the promise land. They are viewing themselves as the saviors of the program...the Legacy class...and in many, many ways they are correct. Most of the kids don't give a damn what record TN finishes with because that's what they are coming here to fix. They are coming to TN to help Butch fix this mess because oh yes Butch gets it.

That is hype. That is the kind of hype that builds a number one class. Terms like Legacy. The foundation. The bricks that rebuilt TN. That sells. And recruits feel that.

So don't down play us being number 1. Don't just say we have a shot at being in the top 10 or 15 on Rivals after NSD because you're scared. Look at the facts. We have owned the top few spot for a while now. We have floated near the top since January one. And yes, we have kicked Bamas ass and Floridas ass all year long. WE ARE GOING UP AGAINST THEM IN RECRUITING AND WINNING!!! When is the last time we even tried to go up agains them and I stress tried?

So don't down play us being number 1 right now. Every recruit in the world sees that and sees us pulling top players left and right. That is a big deal. That is huge. And that isn't how it has been since oh....well, about the time we won our last Championship.

Go Vols!

What you're describing is similar to a lot of things that Malcolm Gladwell describes in the "Tipping Point."

The Tipping Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our class is great right now, but it's going to be taken a lot more seriously within the next 2-3 months. Virtually all of the recruits we're in on to fill out the rest of the class are 4 stars. If Hurd gets his expected bump to five stars, we land 6-7 more four stars (also expected), and either pull Adoree Jackson or a NSD surprise five star, I think we finish with the #1 class.

Butch was in on a few 5* guys late in the last cycle, so there is a huge probability that he lands at least one big fish that isn't committed to us already. I think with a few bumps and a little luck we will be in great shape in recruiting the SEC. My dad always said, "luck is just when opportunity and preparation meet." Jones has put us in a position to pull a huge class compared to the last few years even if its not #1.

Butch was in on a few 5* guys late in the last cycle, so there is a huge probability that he lands at least one big fish that isn't committed to us already. I think with a few bumps and a little luck we will be in great shape in recruiting the SEC. My dad always said, "luck is just when opportunity and preparation meet." Jones has put us in a position to pull a huge class compared to the last few years even if its not #1.
Your Dad sounds like a smart fella. Hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna steal that saying. I've never heard that description of luck and I like it.

Reactions: 2 people
so, your premise is that top recruits see UT's ranking and that makes them want to jump on the big orange bus?

you may be right, and it would be nice if you are, but i have to wonder how this conclusion gets made? are the recruits saying that?

i'm not sure of the significance of a #1 Rivals ranking a full 7 months before NSD, but i sure as hell prefer a #1 ranking over a ranking of #50 or #32 or whatever.

Yes they are actually. Many have been quoted saying that UT has the best recruiting class in the nation right now both current recruits and non-commits. So there is a significance being #1 on a single service.

Whether you like it or not, we live in a society that loves to jump on bandwagons and to be blunt bandwagons are all about hype.

Nobody wants to miss the next big thing. The "next big thing" sells movie tickets, albums, sneakers, game tickets, and yes....most importantly it attracts high quality, 4 star and 5 star recruits.

There are alot of people on here who don't get how much it matters that we are number 1 on Rivals right now. They will say its July, NSD is months away (gee, thanks for sharing who knew?) and that Butch has to win this game or that game or our class will fall apart.

This class believes it is the turning point. This class believes they are coming in to bring TN back to the promise land. They are viewing themselves as the saviors of the program...the Legacy class...and in many, many ways they are correct. Most of the kids don't give a damn what record TN finishes with because that's what they are coming here to fix. They are coming to TN to help Butch fix this mess because oh yes Butch gets it.

That is hype. That is the kind of hype that builds a number one class. Terms like Legacy. The foundation. The bricks that rebuilt TN. That sells. And recruits feel that.

So don't down play us being number 1. Don't just say we have a shot at being in the top 10 or 15 on Rivals after NSD because you're scared. Look at the facts. We have owned the top few spot for a while now. We have floated near the top since January one. And yes, we have kicked Bamas ass and Floridas ass all year long. WE ARE GOING UP AGAINST THEM IN RECRUITING AND WINNING!!! When is the last time we even tried to go up agains them and I stress tried?

So don't down play us being number 1 right now. Every recruit in the world sees that and sees us pulling top players left and right. That is a big deal. That is huge. And that isn't how it has been since oh....well, about the time we won our last Championship.

Go Vols!

You just brought a sentimental tear to my eye.

What kind of idiot ******* would downplay the most success the program has had since beating USC in 09?

Oh yeah..it's a message board

Reactions: 1 person

you haven't seen Dale Earnhardt,jr. Lead lap 37 of the Daytona race yet. Because if you had you would see more cheering and drinking going on than most victory lane celebrations!!

It's just hard to take the rankings, at this point, seriously when Kentucky is in the top five. I live in Kentucky and have many friends who are wildcats fans. I chuckled, a little when they got sooo excited about their "#1" recruiting class rankings in football, because I knew they really didn't see that their class would be over taken when the big time recruits started to pick. Now I'm not trying to down play their schools efforts and I commend them for doing something that even for this time of year they have never done before. So why the long post? Wouldn't it be a double standard if I where to turn around and praise UT for our "#1" recruit class and not keep the same kind of perspective? Granted I'm excited for this year and Im glad we are #1 in something related to football but Im just trying to be rationally fair and consistent with standards of judgment.

Last edited:
you haven't seen Dale Earnhardt,jr. Lead lap 37 of the Daytona race yet. Because if you had you would see more cheering and drinking going on than most victory lane celebrations!!

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

You are correct, sir!

You know how I know Rivals rankings are BS at this point?

Freaking Kentucky was #1 before we took over...let that sink in, Kentucky FOOTBALL was ranked #1 on Rivals before we took over the top spot

It's just hard to take the rankings, at this point, seriously when Kentucky is in the top five. I live in Kentucky and have many friends who are wildcats fans. I chuckled, a little when they got sooo excited about their "#1" recruiting class rankings in football, because I knew they really didn't see that their class would be over taken when the big time recruits started to pick. Now I'm not trying to down play their schools efforts and I commend them for doing something that even for this time of year they have never done before. So why the long post? Wouldn't it be a double standard if I where to turn around and praise UT for our "#1" recruit class and not keep the same kind of perspective? Granted I'm excited for this year and Im glad we are #1 in something related to football but Im just trying to be rationally fair and consistent with standards of judgment.

Thank you.

You know how I know Rivals rankings are BS at this point?

Freaking Kentucky was #1 before we took over...let that sink in, Kentucky FOOTBALL was ranked #1 on Rivals before we took over the top spot

Exactly. Iirc they made the front page of yahoo when they were too. Like others have said it's better than being in the 30s, but people going bonkers when other rival schools are sitting back and doing their thang with patience is just cray.

This type of crap leads to the crash from high expectations we experienced this past season. Something we all know will end up bringing the program crashing down again.

Not saying downplay the ranking just don't overplay it either.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:

Go Vols!
Great post. If your not first your last.

Go Vols!

Thank you Butch, you get it

Speaking only from my own experience, my son, who will be a junior on his HS football team this year, updates me daily on UT's recruiting news and team recruiting ranking.

Hard to imagine a highly ranked recruit that is not watching Rivals, Scout and 24 7 that might, by accident, see TN ranked either #1 or top 7 in class rankings!

Don't see how this does not impress a few recruits at the very least! JMO

Go Vols!

Plus by seasons end we should have 3 5 stars for certain, unless the recruiting sites don't get it! :)

I'm really excited about the recruiting job that Butch and staff are doing so don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way.

the 247.com recruiting analysts are far superior to Rivals staff. 247 has UT ranked 9th at this juncture. Being number one is nice in any ranking, but 247 gives more realistic picture of the talent.

jmo

Larry doesn't get it.

Butch and NEO get it.

VN Store

Back