EA Sports hates us

It’s funny that some of you saying “why does it matter? It’s a video game,” also care way too much about recruiting rankings. A kid drops 7 spots after committing to the Vols and you lose your minds.
It matters to the recruit, especially if it affects his NIL potential. Seven spots really don't bother me but 27 spots do, dropping our QB from a 5* to a 4* with no reflection on his abilities, and curiously raising Bama's QB to a 5*. This is not a game to them. ;)

I’m watching a guy video who’s doing Road to Glory and started out at Sam Houston and pretty much simmed the season since his character wasn’t a starter

Was surprised to see the top 25 at the end of his season

View attachment 658969

Interesting, I have noticed that sometimes the ratings are just not accurate either. I have had lower overall QBs that I put in because they had better stats on throwing accuracy, strength, mobility, or other traits that actually made them a better QB. Now this was based on past games. Georgia going 8-5 is hilariously bad.

Reactions: 08Vol
Interesting, I have noticed that sometimes the ratings are just not accurate either. I have had lower overall QBs that I put in because they had better stats on throwing accuracy, strength, mobility, or other traits that actually made them a better QB. Now this was based on past games. Georgia going 8-5 is hilariously bad.
I looked at his season ending ranking and was thinking what AI engine are they using to come up with those

I looked at his season ending ranking and was thinking what AI engine are they using to come up with those

I have 2013 (and ones before it but I play 2013 probably the most; or have played, I have played in a while).

Alabama won the National Title that year. Alabama starts out playing at Michigan (it was neutral site in Dallas but for some reason you can't do neutral sites in that game) and Michigan beats them 90% of the time. Alabama won that game 42-14. Alabama usually goes on to lose 3-4 games. Tennessee beats them half the time.

They have one of the highest overall scores but they rarely live up to it.

EA's engine is unique. Granted this is a new engine from that one but this stuff has happened in the past.

I think this article sums up quite nicely on the media treatment of UT. ;)

The national media is missing a big story when it comes to Josh

I think a lot of it was the Florida and Missouri losses last year knocked the steam out of Tennessee's sails. The media is putting us in that "competitor" status but not willing to put us in top 10. Missouri is getting too much love, IMO. Another team that is probably being overlooked is Oklahoma but we will see when the season starts.

I personally think that both Oklahoma and Tennessee will be better than Missouri in 2024 based on what I have seen in Spring games so far. Missouri seems like a flash in the pan. I am not that high on Ole Miss or Texas as well but giving both the benefit of the doubt.

Alabama does seem to have some positive momentum with DeBoer but there is no way they don't have some drop-off after Saban left.

Georgia is still legit although the off-field distractions could hurt them.

LSU is another team people maybe sleeping on. It will come down to how they improve their defense.

A&M will be good, as well, but the media seems to love them so no need to talk about them.

EDIT: I do think Hugh Freeze will also have Auburn playing well but I think they are a year away from really making noise and breaking into the top 25.

Last edited:
Urban Meyer based an offense on the earlier games and it turned into 2 national titles. These video games have influence beyond a small group of gamers, and are super popular among athletes. The Oregon offense in previous editions did a lot to promote their style of play and get attention that they otherwise would not have gotten.

Wait, what? Maybe Meyer got his offense from a video game, IDK, but there is no way Oregon was copy-catted because of video games. They were copycatted because of game film.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Oregon's spread on the EA Sports game is a shell of what it was in the real sport. I just run 4-3 Fireman Blitz and it stuffs Oregon (and West Virginia who ran it at about the same time) every time.

Maybe this thread isn't for you then. Maybe it's for those of us who grew up playing this game year after year and have been waiting on a new version for over 10 years. Maybe it's for those of us who are mad that the team we're going to play with is going to put us at a big disadvantage, because we'll be damned if we use any other team than Tennessee. This game meant a lot to us growing up. I can't speak for others, but I had a rough upbringing. And I could always escape to my ps2 to play NCAA. I could distract myself from tough situations in my life with every new Road to Glory or Dynasty. Honestly, it's a big reason for why I love college football so much and I'm sure others feel the same. So the fact that it's coming back, is very exciting. We just wish that the team we cheer for/ will play with was rated at a level that they deserve. Anyways guys. I'll shut up . We're only 12 hours away and I'm so ready
Good post and I can relate.

I played Atari in the 70’s before upgrading to the Commodore 64. I don’t recall the order of technology but I upgraded to Nintendo. I never had a Sega but my friends did.

I played Super Bowl Sunday on the Commodore 64. You’d select the play and then watch the play unfold- no joysticks- as the players did not control the players. You’d select the Palau and then watch the players do their thing - 😆.

In 1992 I played Tecmo Bowl @ the fraternity house. 49’ers WR Taylor was unstoppable. There was a glitch where he’d catch the ball on a certain play, regardless of the defense.

I played both Madden and EA Sports until about 1999. My son was born in 2003 so he played all the Madden games from 2009- present. I tried but there were too many buttons and I couldn’t snap dam$ ball before play clock- 😝 😝 😆.

I have 2013 (and ones before it but I play 2013 probably the most; or have played, I have played in a while).

Alabama won the National Title that year. Alabama starts out playing at Michigan (it was neutral site in Dallas but for some reason you can't do neutral sites in that game) and Michigan beats them 90% of the time. Alabama won that game 42-14. Alabama usually goes on to lose 3-4 games. Tennessee beats them half the time.

They have one of the highest overall scores but they rarely live up to it.

EA's engine is unique. Granted this is a new engine from that one but this stuff has happened in the past.
Never played NCAA but I did hear this new one will have new engine and won't play like Madden either. I won't be playing online so hopefully I won't have to worry about microtransactions if I decide to purchase it

Reactions: volbound1700
Good post and I can relate.

I played Atari in the 70’s before upgrading to the Commodore 64. I don’t recall the order of technology but I upgraded to Nintendo. I never had a Sega but my friends did.

I played Super Bowl Sunday on the Commodore 64. You’d select the play and then watch the play unfold- no joysticks- as the players did not control the players. You’d select the Palau and then watch the players do their thing - 😆.

In 1992 I played Tecmo Bowl @ the fraternity house. 49’ers WR Taylor was unstoppable. There was a glitch where he’d catch the ball on a certain play, regardless of the defense.

I played both Madden and EA Sports until about 1999. My son was born in 2003 so he played all the Madden games from 2009- present. I tried but there were too many buttons and I couldn’t snap dam$ ball before play clock- 😝 😝 😆.
ahhh they good ole days of Tecmo Bowl. Bo Jackson was unstoppable. I know my brother used to would use him and he'd get down by the endzone turn around and run the other way just to run my guys over and then run in for a TD. Also remember a glitch you could roll down to the bottom and it looked like you were throwing the ball to the top of the screen, if you were playing against someone they'd run up to the top or get control of the top guy and then the ball would actually come down and hit the guy at the bottom of the screen.

Reactions: vol94
Urban Meyer based an offense on the earlier games and it turned into 2 national titles. These video games have influence beyond a small group of gamers, and are super popular among athletes. The Oregon offense in previous editions did a lot to promote their style of play and get attention that they otherwise would not have gotten.
Oregon was the uniforms.. period. There were plenty of schools with the same playstyle as Oregon and much better playbooks in the game (Ole Miss and Auburn were some of the most popular playbooks). And wait, you think Urban Meyer Based his offense off a game that depended on suction physics to make olinemen block? Gotcha

Typically, the way these games work, the teams are based on the last seasons level of success. Tennessee was 9-4, which puts them slightly above middle of the road. The teams you listed, Oklahoma (86) 10-3, A&M (87) 7-6, Ole Miss (88) 11-2, LSU (90) 10-3, Texas (92) 12-2, Bama (92) 12-2, and UGA (95) 13-1 had better seasons except for A&M which I think is getting the benefit of the doubt because of recent recruiting success.

I'm good with the ratings. I think they are fair and accurate.

Source?

Oregon was the uniforms.. period. There were plenty of schools with the same playstyle as Oregon and much better playbooks in the game (Ole Miss and Auburn were some of the most popular playbooks). And wait, you think Urban Meyer Based his offense off a game that depended on suction physics to make olinemen block? Gotcha
I’m realizing now that I probably read the piece in print in 2007, so I am having trouble finding the link, but Urban Meyer himself said that part of what went into his development of the spread option veer at Bowling Green was fooling around with plays on the NCAA video game series and simulating various spread formations with the running game. If I can find it I’ll share, because it was a good reason.

Re: Oregon, I used to use the Oregon playbook as my playbook even when I used Tennessee, because I liked that they had inner read options that would read the DT instead of the DE or the LB, not to mention that it was a spread QB read no-huddle offense. 2009 Oregon was a real blast with LaMichael James and LeGarrette Blount, especially with James being faster in the game than he ever was in real life.

We’re going to see a lot of players jumping onto the Colorado bandwagon I think with the way that they’ve boosted their ratings. I would play against them just to have the satisfaction of beating that coach in simulation — really, who publicly ranks their kids? Such a jerk.

Reactions: adam.vol
Typically, the way these games work, the teams are based on the last seasons level of success. Tennessee was 9-4, which puts them slightly above middle of the road. The teams you listed, Oklahoma (86) 10-3, A&M (87) 7-6, Ole Miss (88) 11-2, LSU (90) 10-3, Texas (92) 12-2, Bama (92) 12-2, and UGA (95) 13-1 had better seasons except for A&M which I think is getting the benefit of the doubt because of recent recruiting success.

I'm good with the ratings. I think they are fair and accurate.
Colorado being above TN is a joke

Reactions: adam.vol
EA sports is incredibly down on Tennessee to an extent that is hard to understand or justify in the new college football video game.

Tennessee gets an 83 overall on Offense and an 80 overall on Defense. They have Oklahoma (86), A&M (87), Ole Miss (88), LSU (90), Texas (92), Bama (92), and UGA (95) rated higher.

There is a ridiculous SIX WAY tie in the middle of the SEC with Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee all rated 85 overall. The only teams rated lower are South Carolina (84) Miss St (80) and Vanderbilt (77).

The ratings get even more offensive when you start comparing the volunteers with teams in other conferences. The idea that Arkansas and Auburn are as talented as Tennessee is just a massive wtf. I think you could make an argument for Kentucky and Florida but still feels like a stretch to me. I think the top 5 teams are ok but after that it gets weird. Florida, Kentucky, Auburn and Arkansas are too high. OU and A&M are a little high as well. Missouri and TN are too low.

They have Memphis 85 overall lol. Virginia Tech and NC State are both 87 overall.

I want to continue saying this until hopefully it sticks: If they want to insult us, then it’s our duty to prove EA wrong and to remind them about it until they admit it. This video game helps with future recruiting as much as anything else. We can’t underestimate just how many young football players will be in love with these games.

Last edited:

I do believe that the games (Madden and CFB) influenced play-calling for sure. I remember doing what Oregon and all these spread teams were doing before they did it (talking 1998). We were running so much out of shotgun and stretching the D wide and deep with an inordinate number of screens out to the flat and vertical routes all day. Most of the guys coming up through the coaching ranks the past 20 years cut their play-calling teeth on video games.

Reactions: KeepinUpWithJones
I’m realizing now that I probably read the piece in print in 2007, so I am having trouble finding the link, but Urban Meyer himself said that part of what went into his development of the spread option veer at Bowling Green was fooling around with plays on the NCAA video game series and simulating various spread formations with the running game. If I can find it I’ll share, because it was a good reason.

Re: Oregon, I used to use the Oregon playbook as my playbook even when I used Tennessee, because I liked that they had inner read options that would read the DT instead of the DE or the LB, not to mention that it was a spread QB read no-huddle offense. 2009 Oregon was a real blast with LaMichael James and LeGarrette Blount, especially with James being faster in the game than he ever was in real life.

We’re going to see a lot of players jumping onto the Colorado bandwagon I think with the way that they’ve boosted their ratings. I would play against them just to have the satisfaction of beating that coach in simulation — really, who publicly ranks their kids? Such a jerk.
I checked ChatGPT/copilot and no reference of Urban Meyer ever mentioning using NCAA or EA sports. I thought it sounded a bit like an Urban Legend.

1721089961135.png

In this world of social media the internet is a double-edged sword.. its very easy for misinformation to become common knowledge which is amazing since with tools like chatgpt fact checking takes seconds. Someone can say something that's clearly not true but if they say it enough times in enough places it will get retweeted and become people's truth. Garth Brooks Serial killer. I had a friend dead serious tell me she heard he was gonna be on trial for murder.. all because some comedian made a joke and it went viral.

Last edited:
I checked ChatGPT/copilot and no reference of Urban Meyer ever mentioning using NCAA or EA sports. I thought it sounded a bit like an Urban Legend.

View attachment 659161

In this world of social media the internet is a double-edged sword.. it’s very easy for misinformation to become common knowledge which is amazing since with tools like chatgpt fact checking takes seconds. Someone can say something that's clearly not true but if they say it enough times in enough places it will get retweeted and become people's truth. Garth Brooks Serial killer. I had a friend dead serious tell me she heard he was gonna be on trial for murder.. all because some comedian made a joke and it went viral.
ChatGPT isn’t an especially good search engine. What I was trying to do was get an idea of what archives to check for dead pages on archive.org. But I also wanted to put enough time into work to stay employed. 😄

VN Store

Back