East Tennessee Weather II

Per today's News Sentinel's front page, Knoxville will have 100 degree weather early next week for the first time since 2012.

I just returned from being in Dallas, TX for the past few days and let me tell you, I kissed the ground when the plane landed! Give me the East Tennessee climate everytime! August climate in Dallas is oppressive! The day we flew in, it was 104 degrees and my Uber driver said it had gotten up to 111 degrees a few days prior! It was miserably hot every day I was there!

Reactions: feathersax
Not East Tennessee weather, but this latest storm Francine is drawing a bead on my town, Baton Rouge. I won't even be there when it hits on Wed. but we are due to drive in from Texas the next day. I wish I had trimmed our trees more than I did. Prayers appreciated.

Not East Tennessee weather, but this latest storm Francine is drawing a bead on my town, Baton Rouge. I won't even be there when it hits on Wed. but we are due to drive in from Texas the next day. I wish I had trimmed our trees more than I did. Prayers appreciated.

Thankfully the storm really hasnt got its act together the past 30-36 hrs, especially with that more easterly track towards BR and NOLA...

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Looking at the GFS model, we could see a major hurricane impacting the gulf coast somewhere on or near the Florida panhandle late week. Current forecast is for early development off the Yucatan peninsula. Just guessing by looking at the isobars on the model; named storm by Tuesday, Hurricane by Wednesday, and additional strengthening until it reaches the southern US late Thursday or early Friday. It will be moving over warm water with very little shear, so it could become quite potent if it does indeed develop. Still early. As of now, most of the rain gets pushed off to our east by a weak frontal boundary....unfortunately. East Tennessee is parched!

Looking at the GFS model, we could see a major hurricane impacting the gulf coast somewhere on or near the Florida panhandle late week. Current forecast is for early development off the Yucatan peninsula. Just guessing by looking at the isobars on the model; named storm by Tuesday, Hurricane by Wednesday, and additional strengthening until it reaches the southern US late Thursday or early Friday. It will be moving over warm water with very little shear, so it could become quite potent if it does indeed develop. Still early. As of now, most of the rain gets pushed off to our east by a weak frontal boundary....unfortunately. East Tennessee is parched!

GFS is hinting at a Hurricane Michael solution/track for sure...

Reactions: norrislakevol
Very fortunate this storm didnt really get its act together today. Hopefully, this keeps storm on lower end of impact spectrum and not the high end Cat 4 that was in play 36 hours ago...

Not often we see a high wind warning issued:

Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions
Issued By
Knoxville/Tri-Cities - TN, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Campbell County
Description
...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ THIS EVENING TO 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ FRIDAY...

WHAT...East to northeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 65 mph expected.

WHERE...Portions of east Tennessee and southwest Virginia.

WHEN...From 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ this evening to 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ Friday.

IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines. Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Remain in the lower levels of your home during the windstorm, and avoid windows. Watch for falling debris and tree limbs. Use caution if you must drive.

Not often we see a high wind warning issued:

Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions
Issued By
Knoxville/Tri-Cities - TN, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Campbell County
Description
...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ THIS EVENING TO 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ FRIDAY...

WHAT...East to northeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 65 mph expected.

WHERE...Portions of east Tennessee and southwest Virginia.

WHEN...From 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ this evening to 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ Friday.

IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines. Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Remain in the lower levels of your home during the windstorm, and avoid windows. Watch for falling debris and tree limbs. Use caution if you must drive.
Especially for the valley. The mountains will get a decent number of these every year, but the valley only sees high wind warnings once every 20 blue moons.

The biggest story is going to be the flash flooding. If you live in a Flood prone area, now is the time to find another place to stay that is high ground. Areas in the foothills and along the mountains could easily see well over 7 inches of rain when all is said and done. I also think that landslides in the mountains are likely.

It's safe to say that we are going to see tropical storm conditions in East TN and NC. Everyone should make sure all of their phones and other devices are charged, as there is going to be numerous power outtages and it will probably take a while for power to be restored. If you have any loose items in the yard, now is the time to secure or bring them in.

On Morristown's FB page, someone asked them why there isn't a Tropical Storm Warning issued for East TN. You would think that they would considering that there is a good chance that Helene will still be a tropical storm when it comes into East TN, but their response is that they don't issue tropical warnings in Tennessee. Since they can't issue those warnings, they basically have to issue a high wind warning and flood watches to mimic the tropical storm warning.

VN Store

Back