East Tennessee Weather II

Some good news:

Helene made landfall on a little more easterly track than expected, so wind gusts in the valley won't be in the 60+ range. However, with winds still gusting to 40+ mph, there could still be some scattered power outages due to the very saturated soil making the trees easier to knock down.

Reactions: BigOrangeutan
I live in Augusta. We got decimated by Helene. Came through about 4-7 am this morning with us being right in the eye wall. I’m sure I will be without power for a week or more. Trees through houses everywhere and power lines down all over the place. Thankfully everyone I’ve talked to has been safe.

There may be potable water concerns in the next few days ahead as they scramble to repair the riverside pump station, but at least the dam on South side of Greeneville seems to be holding OK.

Edit: The public water utility is currently shut down as it is under repair. Folks are getting what bottled water they can, and going back to wells and springs. Prayers for all.

Last edited:
I live in Augusta. We got decimated by Helene. Came through about 4-7 am this morning with us being right in the eye wall. I’m sure I will be without power for a week or more. Trees through houses everywhere and power lines down all over the place. Thankfully everyone I’ve talked to has been safe.
I’m in Augusta too. The damage is extensive. Luckily my home was fine. Many others in this subdivision were damaged. The 4-6am range was probably the worst wind. We also had extremely heavy rain. I had dumped 9 inches out of the gauge Thursday and I’m sure it was overflowing when wind blew it over. I was in South Georgia during hurricane Michael and Helene has definitely been more widespread destruction than Michael. The storm track was definitely much further east than predicted.

VN Store

Back