ESPN… Josh Heupel comes home

Who ever took over for Tim Rinaldi will probably do one of those ten minute pieces about Josh Heupel. Hopefully they do as great of a job as Jake Trotter and Chris Low did on this article. The only thing they missed was the fact that Stoops told CJH to abandon his offense that was working and move to the Texas A&M/Johnny Football (Kliff Kingsbury) offense. When Stoops fired Josh he then hired another Mike Leach disciple in Lincoln Riley only to return to Heupel's offense.
That’s not true. The Oklahoma offense had morphed away some from the pure Air Raid by 2011. Josh had a QB more suited for KSU’s offense and QB run game. Bob wouldn’t let him run much Zone Read. Bob brought Chris Ault the originator of the pistol from Nevada and forced that on Josh. But the bottom line he didn’t have a good QB and Josh was in his early days as an OC. He was struggling but it wasn’t all his fault. I don’t know where this Johnny Manziel crap comes from.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Heupel is building here at Tennessee something that he could NEVER have imagined, realized, built in the middle of Tornado Alley. Quality of life, resources, access to talent is a MILLION TIMES better than Norman. Y'all will see if you are traveling there. Central Oklahoma is a wasteland, compared to East Tennessee.

Heupel is slowly on his way to becoming a Neyland clone.

Wasn't a payback. You said when we get a storied history. Gtfoh, you do know we are a founding member of the SEC right?? We are one of the most storied programs in the SEC
Well KSU is a founding member of the Big 8 so there’s that. He quoted me I returned fire

Heupel is building here at Tennessee something that he could NEVER have imagined, realized, built in the middle of Tornado Alley. Quality of life, resources, access to talent is a MILLION TIMES better than Norman. Y'all will see if you are traveling there. Central Oklahoma is a wasteland, compared to East Tennessee.
I agree with this. And I mean this when I say this. If he wants to start a dynasty and a legacy like Tennessee is accustomed to doing. It’s his for the taking right now if he wants it. This is a train that will be very hard to stop..

Well KSU is a founding member of the Big 8 so there’s that. He quoted me I returned fire
Mentioning KSU is ridiculous. That program has an all-time losing record so there's that. Vol Nation can be an extremely viscous place. I would suggest that you dont make waves in these waters.

I personally know this writer he’s great

Why didn’t you lead with something like this when you came on this board?

Thanks for sharing a great article. I knew a little bit of Heupels OU background but what a cool walk through time & OU tradition/history.

Hard to think this game isn’t very personal. I kind of thought that was being overstated before reading this.

Why didn’t you lead with something like this when you came on this board?

Thanks for sharing a great article. I knew a little bit of Heupels OU background but what a cool walk through time & OU tradition/history.

Hard to think this game isn’t very personal. I kind of thought that was being overstated before reading this.
Well if it had been out I would have. I started off with my first few posts genuine if you go back and look. And I thought we’d be better. I’m not so cocky now. Injuries and the OL has really weakened us. But of course message boards proliferate tough guys and an upcoming opponent … oh my. I understood that. But as it got testy I love getting testy back. It’s all fun. But I’ll stay until the Sunday after the game and be prepared for gloating. I may come back to chat once in awhile. If we lose I’m going to be rooting for you guys to win it all. And you sure look like a contender. Although I feel better about the game than I did Sunday it would be a big upset in my eyes to win. But ND was favored 2 weeks ago. So never say never.

Well if it had been out I would have. I started off with my first few posts genuine if you go back and look. And I thought we’d be better. I’m not so cocky now. Injuries and the OL has really weakened us. But of course message boards proliferate tough guys and an upcoming opponent … oh my. I understood that. But as it got testy I love getting testy back. It’s all fun. But I’ll stay until the Sunday after the game and be prepared for gloating. I may come back to chat once in awhile. If we lose I’m going to be rooting for you guys to win it all. And you sure look like a contender. Although I feel better about the game than I did Sunday it would be a big upset in my eyes to win. But ND was favored 2 weeks ago. So never say never.
My experience when you played us in Knoxville made me happy you are now in the SEC. It was the best game atmosphere I have experienced. Everyone I met seemed a great fan and no asses. I look forward to what I hope is a great conference rivalry.

My experience when you played us in Knoxville made me happy you are now in the SEC. It was the best game atmosphere I have experienced. Everyone I met seemed a great fan and no asses. I look forward to what I hope is a great conference rivalry.
I visited Neyland around 2011. Walked all around and looked in the dressing rooms and entrance. My son and I were headed back from visiting my other son in DC. That trip we made stops in Indy and saw Lucas Oil,Ohio Stadium (Columbus) Va-Tech, WVU, Lincoln Financial, and Titans stadium. I liked Neyland the best. I wanted to come in 2015 but had been through a recent divorce after 33 years and it didn’t work out. I can’t say I had a favorite SEC team but I liked Tenn better than any.

Browing several websites in the last two days, don't think I've ever seen a game as hyped as this one by all the talking heads and keyboard pundits!! They have hashed and re-hashed Heupel's leaving OU and all surrounding drama.

It's early in the season and, it seems, there's no other team that's put up numbers like the Vols. Guess we're just cannon fodder for slow period in start of college football. BUT, if we win this game...especially by double digits... we'll be all over the press and our games circled on every opponents calendar ..... If we avoid injury.. GBO!!!!!!

Didn’t know he was so instrumental in developing Sam Bradford or that he recruited Jordan Love. And the fact he established the culture of Oklahoma qb’s working so hard, and now that culture has continued at UT starting with Hendon and carrying through Joe to Nico, really cool.

Hendon and CJH are very similar people, imo.

It’s a cool story that hit close to home for anyone who has stayed loyal for longer than they should have. From the various articles on the matter; Heupel should have gone searching for other work when Stoops tried to change how Heupel was doing his job after proving that he was more than capable of doing the job.

The defense won as much of that championship if not more in 2000. When the coach was willing to overlook the defensive problems circa 2014 and asked Heupel to compensate, he should have walked away at that point. Sometimes you need to save yourself from another’s failure.

I wonder if you’ll stick around here after this weekend. Voldawg is one of my favorite people to read because he follows Georgia from a different perspective than I can see from where I stand. It would be nice to have a cool Sooner here to give their spin on a conference foe.

Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing. Everything new I read or hear about Heup makes me believe more and more that we could not have gotten a better coach than Joshua Heupel. Reading about that pre camp speech to this team the year they were going to win the nattty was incredible.
The man is a born leader, fantastic motivator, and a relentless competitor.
And being a second place runner up, robbed of the Heismann, he is the perfect VFL 😂
One of us! One of us!

This morning on SEC Network, Dari and friends were leaning  hard on the "prodigal son returns" angle.

I think we might hear a bit about it Saturday night during the game. Espn loves a good story lol
All sports writers do. The Olympics however totally overdid it

Just what we need.

“His competitive spirit is unmatched," Odom said. "He carries a chip on his shoulder, but he uses it in a very productive way. ... he's a STONE-COLD KILLER. That's the way he played, and that's the way he coaches."
^^ This ^^
I Never really picked up on it at first. His demeanor and persona at the podium and throughout the year doesn’t give any indication of the competitor lurking under that soft spoken facade.
But man; when he gets the chance to lay the wood to someone 😳
Throughout my life as a Vol fan; the complaints about Vol coaches have always been that they would take their foot off the gas and play to not lose once they got a lead. Josh ain’t that kind of guy 😂

^^ This ^^
I Never really picked up on it at first. His demeanor and persona at the podium and throughout the year doesn’t give any indication of the competitor lurking under that soft spoken facade.
But man; when he gets the chance to lay the wood to someone 😳
Throughout my life as a Vol fan; the complaints about Vol coaches have always been that they would take their foot off the gas and play to not lose once they got a lead. Josh ain’t that kind of guy 😂
Thank goodness that Stoops fired him and sent him on a path to us. As we all know, experiences in life mold us and build character. Looks like Josh was served lemons and made Big Orange flavored lemonade.

Hell yeah!

Thank goodness that Stoops fired him and sent him on a path to us. As we all know, experiences in life mold us and build character. Looks like Josh was served lemons and made Big Orange flavored lemonade.

Hell yeah!
And thank goodness that Pruitt wasn’t a good enough coach to keep his job one additional season.

VN Store

Back