ESPN… Josh Heupel comes home

It’s a cool story that hit close to home for anyone who has stayed loyal for longer than they should have. From the various articles on the matter; Heupel should have gone searching for other work when Stoops tried to change how Heupel was doing his job after proving that he was more than capable of doing the job.

The defense won as much of that championship if not more in 2000. When the coach was willing to overlook the defensive problems circa 2014 and asked Heupel to compensate, he should have walked away at that point. Sometimes you need to save yourself from another’s failure.

I wonder if you’ll stick around here after this weekend. Voldawg is one of my favorite people to read because he follows Georgia from a different perspective than I can see from where I stand. It would be nice to have a cool Sooner here to give their spin on a conference foe.
Josh was new as an OC. He was not doing great but he didn’t have a good QB. I thought Bob’s decision was premature. Again I think Bob was tired of recruiting and eyeing retirement wanted to go out strong and an 8-5 season wasn’t cutting it. Josh made some poor decisions. Mike Stoops was probably in his ear and wanted to replace Josh. He probably convinced him to move on. Bob’s awfully loyal it was pretty shocking.

Last edited:
^^ This ^^
I Never really picked up on it at first. His demeanor and persona at the podium and throughout the year doesn’t give any indication of the competitor lurking under that soft spoken facade.
But man; when he gets the chance to lay the wood to someone 😳
Throughout my life as a Vol fan; the complaints about Vol coaches have always been that they would take their foot off the gas and play to not lose once they got a lead. Josh ain’t that kind of guy 😂
I’m just happy to not have to watch us punt the ball on 4th and 1 anymore. Years of me just being pissed that we wouldn’t have the nerve to go for it

I’m just happy to not have to watch us punt the ball on 4th and 1 anymore. Years of me just being pissed that we wouldn’t have the nerve to go for it
That really creates problems for DCs game plans too I suspect. You need four stops instead of three on most drives

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Heupel is building here at Tennessee something that he could NEVER have imagined, realized, built in the middle of Tornado Alley. Quality of life, resources, access to talent is a MILLION TIMES better than Norman. Y'all will see if you are traveling there. Central Oklahoma is a wasteland, compared to East Tennessee.
There's parts of Oklahoma that are absolutely beautiful. Different from the mountains of Tennessee but beautiful. I've spent a lot of time roping steers, hunting and fishing there. It's sad that they have destroyed beautiful countryside with windmill farms. They look like crap, kill birds and chase off wildlife.

Josh was new as an OC. He was not doing great but he didn’t have a good QB. I thought Bob’s decision was premature. Again I think Bob was tired of recruiting and eyeing retirement wanted to go out strong and an 8-5 season wasn’t cutting it. Josh made some poor decisions. Mike Stoops was probably in his ear and wanted to replace Bob. He probably convinced him to move on. Bob’s awfully loyal it was pretty shocking.
The defense sucked that year. Should have fire Mike.

I visited Neyland around 2011. Walked all around and looked in the dressing rooms and entrance. My son and I were headed back from visiting my other son in DC. That trip we made stops in Indy and saw Lucas Oil,Ohio Stadium (Columbus) Va-Tech, WVU, Lincoln Financial, and Titans stadium. I liked Neyland the best. I wanted to come in 2015 but had been through a recent divorce after 33 years and it didn’t work out. I can’t say I had a favorite SEC team but I liked Tenn better than any.
Hope you can make it next time

Reactions: chuckiepoo
That article title is so much BS.

South Dakota is home for Josh, not Oklahoma.

Tennessee is forever-home for Josh, not Oklahoma.

Oklahoma was just a stop along the way in his earlier life, along with Utah, Arizona, Missouri, and probably other spots.

Go Vols!

Reactions: feathersax
That article title is so much BS.

South Dakota is home for Josh, not Oklahoma.

Tennessee is forever-home for Josh, not Oklahoma.

Oklahoma was just a stop along the way in his earlier life, along with Utah, Arizona, Missouri, and probably other spots.

Go Vols!
12 years at OU & Alma Mater > Tenn (3) all day every day. Do I think that will change? Absolutely and sooner than later.

12 years at OU & Alma Mater > Tenn (3) all day every day. Do I think that will change? Absolutely and sooner than later.
You're talking numbers. I'm talking heart.

His home is South Dakota. His forever-home is Tennessee. You were a nice little speed bump in his earlier life, but a place he looks back on with, at best, mixed emotions. Live with it, friend.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
You're talking numbers. I'm talking heart.

His home is South Dakota. His forever-home is Tennessee. You were a nice little speed bump in his earlier life, but probably not a place he particularly looks back fondly on today. Live with it, friend.

Go Vols!
LMAO speed bump ? I guess Knoxville was a piss break he’s got his eyes on NYG

Mentioning KSU is ridiculous. That program has an all-time losing record so there's that. Vol Nation can be an extremely viscous place. I would suggest that you dont make waves in these waters.

Yeah, really bad analogy. K-State has never won a team national title in any sport. Much less football. And they've got nothing on us when it comes to get screwed out of the Heisman Trophy.

Reactions: 901 Orange
Heupel is building here at Tennessee something that he could NEVER have imagined, realized, built in the middle of Tornado Alley. Quality of life, resources, access to talent is a MILLION TIMES better than Norman. Y'all will see if you are traveling there. Central Oklahoma is a wasteland, compared to East Tennessee.
Yer selling the program in Norman more than a little short. They screwed the pooch and are laying in the bed they made now.

Didn’t know he was so instrumental in developing Sam Bradford or that he recruited Jordan Love. And the fact he established the culture of Oklahoma qb’s working so hard, and now that culture has continued at UT starting with Hendon and carrying through Joe to Nico, really cool.

Hendon and CJH are very similar people, imo.

VN Store

Back