Executive Orders

zeppelin128

This is the Way.
Behold, a list of the number of EO's issued by every President. FYI, the table hasn't been updated since July 24, 2020.
George Washington signed 8. FDR signed 3,721!!!

Oh, and for those wondering, Trump has signed 172 so far. Obama signed 147 during his first term and 276 total.

tenor.gif

Executive Orders | The American Presidency Project

Reactions: n_huffhines
Reactions: Credo and FLVOL_79
Yeah, EO's are unconstitutional in how they are currently handed down.

I'm really not interested in Democrats standing over the Constitution they shanked 500 times talking about how awful it is that Trump is for ignoring it, though.

Slimy Scotus just made the problem of EO's even worse with their decision on DACA a few weeks ago.

Until they somehow manage to come up with two seperate constitutions for each party, they are gonna have to live with both sides abusing bad rules.

You‘re a congressional representative.

You will get primaried out of office if you compromise with the other tribe.

If you don’t work with the other tribe, the president can make law on his own. If your tribe doesn’t like this law, then the next president can undo it.

What do you do?

Reactions: FLVOL_79

If you don’t work with the other tribe, the president can make law on his own. If your tribe doesn’t like this law, then the next president can undo it.

What do you do?
Stop worrying about being re-elected
Stop playing tribe politics

Pipe dream I know. But they play tribal politics bc we want them to.

What do you do?
Nothing but promote gridlock in Congress and play active pundit to the evil other tribe’s POTUS until your tribe wins it back.

Welcome to modern DC. Tribes suck.

Reactions: Sandman 423
The issue is the expanding power of the presidency. Congress seems just fine abdicating their responsibilities but then don't like it when the other party takes advantage

Why put yourself on the hook if voting America is gonna keep sending you back.

All you need to do is come back in a few years and fire everybody up with what your gonna do next time.

What do you do?

If we are abdicating the 2nd branch of government because the members' hands are effectively tied from a practicality argument, then why even bother with the pretense of having that second branch?

I am cynical about our politicians. I tend to believe they want the rancor and bitterness. Pointing fingers of blame is easier than leading.

If we are abdicating the 2nd branch of government because the members' hands are effectively tied from a practicality argument, then why even bother with the pretense of having that second branch?

I am cynical about our politicians. I tend to believe they want the rancor and bitterness. Pointing fingers of blame is easier than leading.
Their tie their own hands in order to be able to plead not being complicit. They abdicated their responsibility by their own choice of inaction. The House spends their time on continual campaigning and pundit playing. They are irrelevant in modern legislation and policy making. At least you get about four years of pseudo action out of the Senate before they have to abdicate and go into campaign protection mode.

Not a fan of anyone doing it but the list should include Presidential Memoranda. Obama was king of these; Trump may be too for all I know.

Reactions: hog88

What do you do?
Dont be a tribe and vote on your morals, the Constitution, and helping your constituents

The question was hypothetical but not rhetorical. I’m not endorsing anything.

Last edited:

Which is why I think we're not gonna see guns or abortions banned. They need these wedge issues and if they actually get what they say they want, they'll be like the dog that caught the car.

Not a fan of anyone doing it but the list should include Presidential Memoranda. Obama was king of these; Trump may be too for all I know.
Apparently Memoranda (previously known as Letters) are not required by law to be published unless one wants them codified and enforced. They also can't be used to overturn EOs, but EOs can be used to overturn them.
I'd be interested to know the numbers as well, but the few sources found are all over the place and partisan against both sides.

Since they don't legally have to be entered into the Federal Registry, we will probably never know. The article mentioned there may be over 50,000 of these Memoranda/Letters since Truman. But there is no way to know for sure.

What do you do?
Term limits wouldn't hurt.

Voting them out when they get to comfortable instead of sticking with the letter by their name is an effective term limit. Its our fault if they stay too long.
Don't disagree, but we both know that is never going to happen. Too many folks I know would vote for Satan over Jesus Christ himself if he had the right letter by his name.

Reactions: clarksvol00
Don't disagree, but we both know that is never going to happen. Too many folks I know would vote for Satan over Jesus Christ himself if he had the right letter by his name.
I don't think we're ever going to get away from democrats that talk about climate change while taking money from big oil and coal or republicans that whine about entitlements while living off of farm subsidies.

Yeah, EO's are unconstitutional in how they are currently handed down.

I'm really not interested in Democrats standing over the Constitution they shanked 500 times talking about how awful it is that Trump is for ignoring it, though.

Slimy Scotus just made the problem of EO's even worse with their decision on DACA a few weeks ago.

Until they somehow manage to come up with two seperate constitutions for each party, they are gonna have to live with both sides abusing bad rules.
No! We don't have to put up with that. If everyone would vote Independent one time and throw everybody out, then change the campaign finance laws back to something reasonable. Really drain the swamp. Our Country depends on it.

VN Store

Back