Expectations

1998 13-0 !!!!!

If you look back everyone wrote them off in 97' after the FL loss. Manning was leaving and we didn't have a QB that could lead us to a NC hahaha. This team is reminding me of that 98' team more and more everyday.

Reactions: 2 people
I left the Georgia Dome on August 31st, 2012 thinking we had a Top 15-20 team last year...

So much for that...

We haven't even played a game and you want predictions?

The defense was decent until Brian Randolph got hurt against Florida. Had he not torn his ACL, I believe the year would have turned out much different. Losing him on defense in 2012 was like losing hunter on offense in 2011.

They say that games are won in the trenches. Not to say we have stronger trenches than everybody else (we might on offense), but we have strong enough trenches to keep us in all of our games in my opinion. If we take care of the football and tackle well we'll be fine.

Why are people so scared to be wrong in their predictions? It's just sports after all.

8-4 with losses to Bama, Fla, UGA and Auburn.

I'm with you OP, i'm just kinda feeling it these days. And if we fail... I'll be feeling it next year too. And then in 2015.... I'll REALLY be feeling it. But I'm not sitting around waiting to suck for two more years until then.

Long live the Vols.

All good points. Except I think if we can beat Oregon on the road in September, we will drill Auburn at home in November.

We beat Western Kentucky, Austin Peay, & South Alabam. However; we will win 3 of the last games, Kentucky, Missery, Au Barn, & Vandy. This will put us at 6 - 6 for the season.

We will go to a bowl game within the local area. Liberty Bowl, in Memphis or Music City Bowl in Nashville. This will be a sell out crowd and also the team will get some added practices during bowl preparations. Might even have some of the E.E.'s get a little practice in.

Maybe I've just grown a bit pessimistic, but I could see us having a poor season, and losing that AU game.

My predictions...

WINS:

AP, Kentucky, South Bama, WKU, Vandy, Mizzou, Georgia

LOSSES:

Bama, SC, Oregon, AU, Florida

So... we beat a Georgia team we shouldn't have, lose to an AU team we shouldn't have, and go bowling at 7-5.

I guess that would be my frail attempt at predicting this season.

Being completely honest, the only team on this schedule that just outclasses us is the team that must never be spoken.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to this season.

Expectations? Last year we LOST alot of games.Alot of games took the fire out of belly of the players.This year, i know we will not win some games,but we wont LOSE any of them,meaning the players will not put their heads in the sand.Our coach will turn it into a positive,in my pea-brained mind.Dooley turned his head in shame at the players when we lost-go watch last years post game interviews. CBJ is not going to have none of that.

Reactions: 1 person
Barring any major injuries, I see this team getting better later in the season. More practices in Jone's system, more understanding of what he expects out of his players. Which is why I think they might stay with Oregon and even have the possibility of winning. However, I think their chances against Missouri, Auburn, Vandy and possibly USCe coming off an bye week are much better. If they win those 4 plus the cupcakes that is an 8 win season. Even if they lose 1 (USCe) that's still a 7 win season and a bowl game. It's not what I want out of UT, but at this point I will take it. Next season and 2015 I will expect much better things.

Last edited:
We have to remind ourselves that Butch Jones is only human and can only do so much with what little talent he has. The SEC is more competitive that it has ever been, by a large margin. Vol fans have suffered from foolish decisions made by the University of Tennessee and talent has fallen to near the bottom of the SEC. The last 8 years have been extremely difficult to swallow, but as Butch Jones says, we will build the program back brick by brick. 2014 recruiting, is a great indication we are definately headed in the right direction...starving Vol fans can hardly wait! I still think we will end up 5-7 again this year.
Go Vols

I really can't predict it at all.

I could see 5-7

I could see 8-4.

It's impossible to predict when we don't know who our QB is, and have never seen our coach do his thing here.

I am with you. I just can't see us being successful with Worley at QB, or Peterman for that matter.

I expect the players to have some pride again, and play like it. I think a good example is the Vol Walk. I was at the Troy game last year, and couldn't believe how the players looked. They were wearing warm up suits with headphones on, maybe a jacket but no tie, and looked like they had no discipline. I looked up Fulmer's last Vol walk and ALL the players were in a suit and tie.

Fulmer's Last Vol Walk - YouTube

If what we've seen so far is any indication, I think discipline and pride are on their way back.

I get absolutely sick of this 6-6 talk. Disgusts me. We will be good THIS year. Enough of this damn loser mentality. Losers have low expectations. Quit makin all these whiny excuses. We have a system in place to succeed, don't be scared to buy in to it.

No reason for me to believe we don't win at least 8 regular season games.

We have to remind ourselves that Butch Jones is only human and can only do so much with what little talent he has. The SEC is more competitive that it has ever been, by a large margin. Vol fans have suffered from foolish decisions made by the University of Tennessee and talent has fallen to near the bottom of the SEC. The last 8 years have been extremely difficult to swallow, but as Butch Jones says, we will build the program back brick by brick. 2014 recruiting, is a great indication we are definately headed in the right direction...starving Vol fans can hardly wait! I still think we will end up 5-7 again this year.
Go Vols

We have enough to talent to compete. I've never understood why people act like the cupboard is pretty much bare. The team needs needs a fire lit under their a**es from a coach who actually cares what's going on and won't throw them under the bus. We've been blaming it on talent for 5 years in a row and its getting old.

Reactions: 5 people
We have enough to talent to compete. I've never understood why people act like the cupboard is pretty much bare. The team needs needs a fire lit under their a**es from a coach who actually cares what's going on and won't throw them under the bus. We've been blaming it on talent for 5 years in a row and its getting old.
Amen. Enough of the pity party low expectations BS. It's also irratating hearing people say we won't be good until butch as two more full classes as if the players we have now aren't any good. If the players can't get motivated by the condescending way every one talks about them then they have no pulse

Why does everyone act like we don't have any talent? Every team has weaknesses and srengths. Every team has to plug in young and inexperienced players every year cause players graduate or just leave and somebody steps up. As for Freshmen, anybody see Amari Cooper play for Bama last year and if I remember correctly, TJ Yeldon was a Freshman the year before. As for expectations, just don't expect anything then when something good happens it's great and if it doesn't then you won't be disappointed.

Why does everyone act like we don't have any talent? Every team has weaknesses and srengths. Every team has to plug in young and inexperienced players every year cause players graduate or just leave and somebody steps up. As for Freshmen, anybody see Amari Cooper play for Bama last year and if I remember correctly, TJ Yeldon was a Freshman the year before. As for expectations, just don't expect anything then when something good happens it's great and if it doesn't then you won't be disappointed.

just do the following honestly and you'll have your answer.

think of the last tennessee team that you believed was really talented and either won the sec title or you thought would/could win the sec title.

now that you've thought of that team, ask yourself how many of the players on the 2013 team start on the team you are thinking of.

Who was tee Martin before 98? As poster in this thread stated earlier. We had all the hype last year until things went south, not as bad as 97 but similar. Now we are being written off because we lost our big arm qb. I believe Worley could be equivalent to the next tee Martin. Throw last years defense out the window and check that rankings the year before. These guys only had one year away from the 4-3 in which they excelled. Now add McCullers, Moore, Randolph. No reason our defense should hold us back.

think of the last tennessee team that you believed was really talented and either won the sec title or you thought would/could win the sec title.

now that you've thought of that team, ask yourself how many of the players on the 2013 team start on the team you are thinking of.

And there is a lot of unknowns. All our top wr were big time recruits but have yet to have a chance to showcase themselves. Lane and Neal are quality backs, I lean more to Lane IMO. So the possibility is definitely there. Soon enough we will know for sure

Last edited:

Nobody's talking about an SEC Championship, but when you've got nothing but juniors and seniors in the trenches that were highly recruited, the "we've got no talent" thing is just completely false. We've got a junior and senior rb, who were both 4 stars, a junior QB who will be taking the snaps behind a ferocious OL and does have game experience from when Bray went down, LB's and a secondary with the majority being juniors and a couple seniors who all were also highly recruited, it's time to throw that s*** out the window. It's the oldest and most tiring excuse used by some Vol fans.

1998 13-0 !!!!!

If you look back everyone wrote them off in 97' after the FL loss. Manning was leaving and we didn't have a QB that could lead us to a NC hahaha. This team is reminding me of that 98' team more and more everyday.

I don't know how to say this without coming across as a killjoy or wet blanket, but this team has next to nothing in common with the '98 squad. Fans were so blinded by Mannings departure they couldn't see we were stacked top to bottom with NFL talent.

2004 in a stretch. Veteran oline and decent running backs, no proven QBs.

I'd take another 2004 in a heartbeat (wins over bammer, jawja and flerda).

1998 13-0 !!!!!

that 98 team had 38 players play in the NFL. this team has less than half that which will play in NFL.

the classes making up this team were ranked far higher than the classes making up this team and the attrition rate was far lower than attrition rate for this team.

there is nothing about this team that closely compares to the 1998 team..

VN Store

Back