FIFA Officials Arrested/Indicted

A bunch of people are clamoring for them to move the WC from Qatar. Probably 18 months too late for that

There is no chance they will even consider moving that event. If they did, the folks who paid billions in bribes would start naming names.

The E60 piece on this issue is eye-opening. Definitely worth the watch if you have 10 minutes or so.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjqQLVRZyyw[/youtube]

Reactions: 2 people
Government is just as likely to further corrupt as they are to clean up the corruption. By its nature, government can get away with the most corruption, so it's always a risk to introduce government.

I understand that, but it seems like the situation can't get much worse.

Yeah, 1200 dead slave laborers. Lots of humor.

You are a freaking idiot.

Not sure that's the topic he's referring to. I think it's just FIFA vs Bama in a broad sense. Not saying I agree or know the points behind it but seems like it's the most likely reference

I understand that, but it seems like the situation can't get much worse.

Look at it this way....it's "slave labor" because of Qatar's government keeping people in the country. You may be right that government will help, but I'm always skeptical.

Not sure that's the topic he's referring to. I think it's just FIFA vs Bama in a broad sense. Not saying I agree or know the points behind it but seems like it's the most likely reference

You are correct, but the problem is trying to find a comparison between FIFA and Bama, even in a broad sense, is absolutely absurd. Even if you want to believe the absolute worst about Bama, it's like trying to compare a shoplifter to Ted Bundy.

Look at it this way....it's "slave labor" because of Qatar's government keeping people in the country. You may be right that government will help, but I'm always skeptical.

I'm not suggesting that the US government suddenly inject themselves into the administration of global soccer. But, by all means, they should prosecute those who are committing crimes within our jurisdiction.

I'm not suggesting that the US government suddenly inject themselves into the administration of global soccer. But, by all means, they should prosecute those who are committing crimes within our jurisdiction.

I just hate that the crime they are going down for is bribery. It shouldn't even be illegal to bribe private organizations. There is a really fine line between payment and bribery. It's unethical, especially when they are supposed to be independent, impartial officials, but it isn't criminal, IMO.

There may be other charges I am forgetting about?

I just hate that the crime they are going down for is bribery. It shouldn't even be illegal to bribe private organizations. There is a really fine line between payment and bribery. It's unethical, especially when they are supposed to be independent, impartial officials, but it isn't criminal, IMO.

There may be other charges I am forgetting about?

Money laundering, tax fraud, wire fraud, extortion, racketeering.

So if we watch the WC are we accessories to enslavement?

Kinda.

I genuinely hope the USMNT boycotts the 2022 World Cup. As pissed of as UEFA is at FIFA, I think it would be possible to set up a more legitimate, less human-rights-violating, competing tournament.

Kinda.

I genuinely hope the USMNT boycotts the 2022 World Cup. As pissed of as UEFA is at FIFA, I think it would be possible to set up a more legitimate, less human-rights-violating, competing tournament.

If the big boys have their own tournament, FIFA is done as an organization. Sponsors will leave, ratings will plummet and the pay outs will substantially decrease but will remain the same for the big players like uefa and concacaf in the new organization. Qatar may lose money.

They will get second rate everything. Referees will not pick FIFA over the new organization so the officiating situation will be screwed. Nike and Adidas won't touch them so who knows what they'll get for gear. It'll be interesting to watch if a true boycott takes place with a separate tournament.

I'm all for a real boycott (and I'm a huge soccer fan). Maybe this is how USA can make a big impact in international soccer, LOL.

If there is anyone who can lead FIFA out of the dark and embarrassing days of the Sepp Blatter administration, it's Sepp Blatter.

VN Store

Back