For once, timing broke Tennessee's way

Looking back at the cast of misfits we’ve had as Prez,AD,HC,etc.,
it’s amazing we managed to remain relevant.

I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but as long as UT and Heupel keep winning and building upon that, we are going to be a formidable force in the NIL era. I just don’t think there are many schools that can hang with us when everyone in the AD is on the same page and the team is good combined with the huge NIL money that is rolling in. UT has the opportunity to really go on a run in the coming years.

I disagree. He saw the change in football coming and hired a spread coach (Clawson) to run his I-Form personnel. He just wasnt given enough time to change. You can't change a I-Form team into a spread in one year. I will also add Clawson went on to make Bowling Green and Wake Forest into winning teams, which is remarkable. Fulmer was in the SEC championship game the year before his firing and 3 of his last 6 (IIRC?) at UT had them in that game or tied to go. I'm not sure how that is lazy. How many times since then have they even sniffed making that game?
Except it wasn’t really Clawson’s offense: it was CPF’s. He changed a bunch of stuff and made it into an absolute mess. Clawson was basically a consultant or so says some friends who were there at the time. Phil would also sit in on the OL meetings in the back of the room, eat snacks and fall asleep.

No idea why you guys like bashing Fulmer tbh. His record speaks for itself and had the only National and SEC championships for Tennessee in most of our lives. You can never say he wasn't a great recruiter. He would have been fine if they were allowed NIL in his day. I mean, money was always a part of it, just not in the open. Let's be real.
Agree, Fulmer would have been fine. Rocky Top Fund has been a thing forever as has every other SEC school (save Vandy) but Fulmer was perhaps the best recruiter in the 90s. Washington upset the culture that was built. Randy Sanders wasn’t a horrible hire but compared to Cutcliffe, he wasn’t close. No coincidence the good days was with Cut and I still believe if he was hired as HC, TN would not have the bad years that it did. Cut is an excellent coach.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I disagree. He saw the change in football coming and hired a spread coach (Clawson) to run his I-Form personnel. He just wasnt given enough time to change. You can't change a I-Form team into a spread in one year. I will also add Clawson went on to make Bowling Green and Wake Forest into winning teams, which is remarkable. Fulmer was in the SEC championship game the year before his firing and 3 of his last 6 (IIRC?) at UT had them in that game or tied to go. I'm not sure how that is lazy. How many times since then have they even sniffed making that game?
100, I wonder what TN would have looked like in year 2 under Clawson. Clawson took a lot of blame but you are right, he has done great everywhere that he’s been. Heck of a coach.

VN Store

Back