Forget Georgia and Texas, why is no one talking about Nico Iamaleava and Tennessee?

TnScooby

I've seen many articles similar to this. These are people that want to get on board of the Heup train before we destroy OU and announce ourselves this Saturday night in Norman. Good for them. I hope they are correct! Go Vols!

EDIT: It is prophetic or not? The first Dr. Pepper commercial this year was "The Heup Train"! *I'm pretty sure they misspelled Heup in that commercial, 🤣

Last edited:
Yeah, this feels like fake outrage for clicks to me.

Every analyst and football commentator I've seen this year has been very vocal in their acknowledgment of Iamaleava. "Have you seen this Nico kid?" "I'm on the Nico train." "This guy is already one of the best quarterbacks in college football." "I love everything about his game." I've heard it from Crain and Friends, Josh Pate, On3, Aaron Murray (yes, that Aaron Murray), SEC Mike and his show, Cole Cubelic, Joel Klatt, CBS, I mean EVERYONE has been pumping up Nico in their comments. The consensus felt to me like that he's an amazing talent and if he's not in New York this year he will be next year.

There's more, I just don't want to waste all evening remembering their names and shows and typing them in. I just - this isn't true. The talking heads are all about #8's game.

Yeah, this feels like fake outrage for clicks to me.

Every analyst and football commentator I've seen this year has been very vocal in their acknowledgment of Iamaleava. "Have you seen this Nico kid?" "I'm on the Nico train." "This guy is already one of the best quarterbacks in college football." "I love everything about his game." I've heard it from Crain and Friends, Josh Pate, On3, Aaron Murray (yes, that Aaron Murray), SEC Mike and his show, Cole Cubelic, Joel Klatt, CBS, I mean EVERYONE has been pumping up Nico in their comments. The consensus felt to me like that he's an amazing talent and if he's not in New York this year he will be next year.

There's more, I just don't want to waste all evening remembering their names and shows and typing them in. I just - this isn't true. The talking heads are all about #8's game.
Agreed. I’m pumped about Nico but it seems the medias reaction to Nico is almost contrived and over the top at this point. The team as a wholehas shined though.

Honestly, the media & talking heads are a bit ahead of me now in the hype. My gut and eyes say Nico is really, really special but he hasn’t completely shown it yet. He needs to mature some.

Clemson and (especially) Michigan ain't much this year.
And GA really struggled with KY.
Clemson's playing NC State at noon Saturday. Considering that's our best win that will be one to watch. If we beat Oklahoma to a pulp it shouldn't matter though.

Last edited:
All I have seen this week are talking heads discussing Tennessee positively like never before. Its making me nervous and the game this weekend is getting bigger by the day.
The difference with this team is they never look or play like they're nervous or tentative. Even Fulmer's best teams in the 90s looked and played tentative at times. This team is different. They play like a machine and they look like they're on a mission on every play, even on plays where they end up losing yards. They just immediately get back up and line up like they know exactly what they're going to do next and the last play doesn't matter anymore; it's history. They're always in the moment. You can see the confidence in them.

The difference with this team is they never look or play like they're nervous or tentative. Even Fulmer's best teams in the 90s looked and played tentative at times. This team is different. They play like a machine and they look like they're on a mission on every play, even on plays where they end up losing yards. They just immediately get back up and line up like they know exactly what they're going to do next and the last play doesn't matter anymore; it's history. They're always in the moment. You can see the confidence in them.
Well said. We have a lot of upperclassman leadership on both sides of the ball. The experience, work ethic and confidence of those guys surely does set a good example for the younger ones. Think about what Bru, Pili and Cooper have been thru -- they have seen both highs and lows, and here they are still playing their butts off.

Last edited:
The less talk about Nico, the better I feel. I dislike this hype, cause it just places a bigger bullseye on his back. Inviting opponents to take shots at knocking him out of games, to teach the UT a lesson about puffing ourselves up so much. And despite not having a body of work to justify it.

Last edited:
that is another positive to Heupel's offense; it does not give the offense time to think about a bad play. You have to line up and run the next play and forget what just happened.

This weekend will be the turning point, one way or another...

IF the Vols loose to the Sooners this weekend then the dialogue will be: "told ya, Vols haven't played anyone this year and aren't quite there, yet"

IF the Vols win by two or fewer touchdowns then the dialogue will be: "strong showing by the Vols, they have potential to be in the mix at the end of the year"

IF the Vols beat the brakes off Oklahoma, then Tennessee will easily move into the top five and everyone will be talking about the high ceiling this team has.

Until option three happens, we are just a bunch of hopeful fans living in the shadow of yesteryear and 2022.

Last edited:
This is an opinion I see more and more national media starting to reflect..

It doesn’t matter for them or for us. It’s just chirp. Albeit, Tennessee has played 3 really bad teams. Hardly anything to rank TN #1 over. This game in Norman will tell us even more, and even they are not looking to be a top tier SEC team so far.

It seems our fans do this every year. We beat a few teams badly and people become offended we aren’t getting our credit. The other teams struggle, and we think they are vulnerable. Then we lose those games.

History has taught me that none of this stuff matters, and to let the season play out before taking issue.

VN Store

Back