Former Grudenite

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
Ever since the departure of CPF, I have been an advocate of bringing on a coach with NFL experience. Does anyone have a real understanding of what kind of recruiting Gruden would have done to date for the '14 class? And btw, I am looking forward to a plate full of grilled crow served up by CBJ!

Reactions: 1 person
Dude you are forgiven. CBJ AND STAFF are the real deal. We lucked out quite honestly. With patience, we will be consistencly in the top ten. Believe!

Reactions: 2 people
Although he received alot of criticism, I am almost positive that VolReporter called the Butch Jones thing and said he would be the choice if Gruden turned them down on their last push. Whether that was before or after the Charlie Strong thing I can't remember, but I distinctly remember seeing him saying Butch Jones and me going "who?, this guy is full of it"

In any way, I am very glad Butch is here no matter how it happened and to this point don't think anyone would have did a better job.

I don't know how Gruden would have recruited but it's hard to imagine his class being better than Butch's.

Reactions: 5 people
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiAsWR4qU[/youtube]

Still hear this every time I remember that that sack of trash Gruden isn't our head coach.

Reactions: 3 people
Although he received alot of criticism, I am almost positive that VolReporter called the Butch Jones thing and said he would be the choice if Gruden turned them down on their last push. Whether that was before or after the Charlie Strong thing I can't remember, but I distinctly remember seeing him saying Butch Jones and me going "who?, this guy is full of it"

In any way, I am very glad Butch is here no matter how it happened and to this point don't think anyone would have did a better job.

VolReporter, is that you?

#busted

You don't know that yet.

B673C1E3-B251-42E4-B5FD-9F9CF275C4D3-996-0000010AF022E596_zpsccdfcb60.jpg

As of right now, Jones has recruited the 2014 class as well as any coach could be expected.

That said, what is a "Grudenite"? Is it someone who would have liked Gruden to coach here? Well what kind of idiot wouldn't have wanted that? Why would you be a "former Grudenite"? Now, you wouldn't want a Super Bowl winning coaching superstar to coach your team? Why not?

Or is it someone who actually believed the internet hype and wishful thinking that Gruden was going to come here and coach and that Dave Hart was going to make that happen? Is "Grudenite" just another word for "gullible"?

As of right now, Jones has recruited the 2014 class as well as any coach could be expected.

That said, what is a "Grudenite"? Is it someone who would have liked Gruden to coach here? Well what kind of idiot wouldn't have wanted that? Why would you be a "former Grudenite"? Now, you wouldn't want a Super Bowl winning coaching superstar to coach your team? Why not?

Or is it someone who actually believed the internet hype and wishful thinking that Gruden was going to come here and coach and that Dave Hart was going to make that happen? Is "Grudenite" just another word for "gullible"?[/QUOTE]

More like "hopeful" after a terrible car crash with good friends involved.

Well what kind of idiot wouldn't have wanted that? Why would you be a "former Grudenite"? Now, you wouldn't want a Super Bowl winning coaching superstar to coach your team? Why not?

Because he's garbage??? I'd rather have kept Dooley. FY,JG.

I thought to get this program back to where it needs to be we would have to have Gruden. I thought we would have to have a big name coach to attract recruits. When they named Butch I thought this guy is really going to struggle recruiting since he is essentially a no name. I was completely wrong.

Ever since the departure of CPF, I have been an advocate of bringing on a coach with NFL experience. Does anyone have a real understanding of what kind of recruiting Gruden would have done to date for the '14 class? And btw, I am looking forward to a plate full of grilled crow served up by CBJ!
I thought you title this thread "former Grudenite"... you seem pretty current to me.

Name gets him in the door. He possibly lands a few more "big fish" in year one than Jones... but we'll never know. What we can say with some degree of comfort is that Gruden would not have wanted to put the kind of work in it takes to be a great recruiter over a long period. None of the other HC's were going to just roll over for him. It takes hard work to recruit. It takes someone who can tolerate prima donna HS drama queen behavior at times. It takes alot of patience. You have to have a salesman's ego because you get told no... ALOT. When you draft guys onto your team, none say no to the HC.

He would have taken some tough losses over the next two years also. Unless he won more than anyone expects UT to do in the next two years... he's just another name by year 3.

Maybe he would have been the savior you apparently think. But the record of pro coaches going to CFB is pretty mixed. Weis was an absolute disaster. Sherman who has a better W/L record in the NFL than Gruden was fired by TAM. Brooks didn't really lift UK much. Carroll was obviously very successful. Wanstadt was pretty bad. I am missing several I am sure... but the bottom line is that being a pro coach by no stretch guarantees anything at the CFB level. Really, the two jobs have different skill sets.

Reactions: 4 people

I'm not a grudenite, but you're going overboard on the eating crow thing. Gruden would have a class full of 4 and 5 stars already, just by his name alone.

Calm down, we have a great class so far, but a another 5-7 season could change that.

Last edited:
I heard Gruden personally called Jones and asked him to come to UT to rebuild the program so he can take over in three years, when he finally gets bored on MNF. Jones is telling recruits they will get to play for Gruden their senior year.

I thought you title this thread "former Grudenite"... you seem pretty current to me.

Name gets him in the door. He possibly lands a few more "big fish" in year one than Jones... but we'll never know. What we can say with some degree of comfort is that Gruden would not have wanted to put the kind of work in it takes to be a great recruiter over a long period. None of the other HC's were going to just roll over for him. It takes hard work to recruit. It takes someone who can tolerate prima donna HS drama queen behavior at times. It takes alot of patience. You have to have a salesman's ego because you get told no... ALOT. When you draft guys onto your team, none say no to the HC.

He would have taken some tough losses over the next two years also. Unless he won more than anyone expects UT to do in the next two years... he's just another name by year 3.

Maybe he would have been the savior you apparently think. But the record of pro coaches going to CFB is pretty mixed. Weis was an absolute disaster. Sherman who has a better W/L record in the NFL than Gruden was fired by TAM. Brooks didn't really lift UK much. Carroll was obviously very successful. Wanstadt was pretty bad. I am missing several I am sure... but the bottom line is that being a pro coach by no stretch guarantees anything at the CFB level. Really, the two jobs have different skill sets.

Thanks SJT18 -this is the kind of feedback I was looking for and I agree his name would have gotten a few big names but, no way he would have been putting in the hours that CBJ is and or laying such a long term foundation.

I just want to see "Ws" and some hard fought, play to the whistle losses...

THEN...I'll know if "Butch gets it"

Twice bitten in the last 3 years = completely skeptical till we see wins on the field.

Meanwhile...I agree with the thought above that anyone that says they would never have preferred Gruden to come in and re-start this program is ridiculous.

IMHO

The truth is no one knows how Gruden would have recruited or how successful his teams would have been on the field. It is all speculation. Coach Jones is doing a fantastic job on the recruiting trail but recruiting is only half of the equation. We should have a decent idea as to how well he can coach after this season. Not so much about the wins and losses but how competitive the team is on the field and how well the team executes. For instance are there blown coverages, dropped passes, receivers running the wrong routes, and the running backs hitting the holes.

Based on his past, I thing his team will be very polished and be successful. But again, it's all conjecture on both accounts.

VN Store

Back