Fulmer Wont Be Around Much Longer.........

westsidevol

I wonder if we have anyone to replace him ? In the near future we will be OK but if we are not grooming someone now we are going to be in trouble. I hope it is not Sanders. I see UGA and UF having young coaches and here we are with Fulmer who must certainly be thinking about hanging things up at this point after a few more years.

Why would he consider hanging it up after a few more years? The guy has no aspirations of going to the NFL and is continually recruiting well and competing yearly for SEC and NCAA championships. I don't know how old the guy is but would guess somewhere in the early 50's. I think he last another 10 years.

Originally posted by westsidevol@Feb 23, 2005 10:53 AM
I wonder if we have anyone to replace him ? In the near future we will be OK but if we are not grooming someone now we are going to be in trouble. I hope it is not Sanders. I see UGA and UF having young coaches and here we are with Fulmer who must certainly be thinking about hanging things up at this point after a few more years.

Well, OK. This guy is an idiot and must be an outsider looking in. He's not worth responding to, as I consider myself wasting time at this very moment. Ignore him, or cut him off.

you need to go back and read the article. I think Fulmer is getting close to calling it a day. He is getting well into his 50s and I think he will retire at 60.

I really don't think I am off base to ask who will be his replacement. We need to start thinking about that.

Originally posted by GVF@Feb 23, 2005 8:19 AM
Well, OK. This guy is an idiot and must be an outsider looking in. He's not worth responding to, as I consider myself wasting time at this very moment. Ignore him, or cut him off.

Now now, don't go and flame this guy. There is a legitimate discussion to be made of this.

How much longer will Fulmer hang around?
Who will replace him when he is gone?

I honestly think he doesn't have more than ten years left right now. He will probably want to retire around then. And I don't know who will replace him as that's quite a ways off. It could be Sanders, could be Trooper, could be Chavis, could be a successful mid-major head coach. I would prefer getting a mid-major coach in, but that's just me.

I may have been a little off base on my comment. Didn't mean to be flaming, but I had just finished reading his way out flaming thread from yesterday or Monday and took issues with this one. It's not an immediate issue. He obviously will finish out his contract through 2011 which will be when he is 60 if the article time lined it correctly. He basically left that feeling with his wife and will heavily consider her wishes at that time. He will not let UT go down like Penn State did. Paterno has hung around to get that record and try for one more run at a championship so he can leave the program on top. That won't happen there till he's gone. Fulmer won't hang on like that, but we do have him for 5 or 6 more years solid. The only viable repalcement in the organization right now would be Chavis, and how old would he be then. It will be someone young and into UT football. I don't see us leaving the commitment to stability trend we have had for so long. Our commitment to coaches goes back way before Fulmer.

Think about it. We've only really had 2 coaches since the 70's or 80's. How far back does Majors go on his first year. That's part of our ultimate long term success. Granted USC has Carroll now, but how long will he be there till "the job" comes to him. Chow already left. They rolled a few coaches looking for that winner. Nebraska. Oklahoma. Ohio State. Texas. Alabama, Auburn. LSU, FLA, So. Car., North Car., Miami, Loiusville, UK. To name a few. Probably many more major programs can be added that have had 3 or more coaches in the last 10-12 years. The same time frame we have had only Fulmer. We don't want to go that route. When the time comes, we want the right person, and we want commitment from him and to him.

Originally posted by GVF@Feb 23, 2005 12:15 PM
Think about it. We've only really had 2 coaches since the 70's or 80's. How far back does Majors go on his first year.

Originally posted by GVF@Feb 23, 2005 12:15 PM
Think about it. We've only really had 2 coaches since the 70's or 80's. How far back does Majors go on his first year. That's part of our ultimate long term success. Granted USC has Carroll now, but how long will he be there till "the job" comes to him. Chow already left. They rolled a few coaches looking for that winner. Nebraska. Oklahoma. Ohio State. Texas. Alabama, Auburn. LSU, FLA, So. Car., North Car., Miami, Loiusville, UK. To name a few. Probably many more major programs can be added that have had 3 or more coaches in the last 10-12 years. The same time frame we have had only Fulmer. We don't want to go that route. When the time comes, we want the right person, and we want commitment from him and to him.

If you're looking for an SEC coach who's probably on his way out of the league, look at Richt.

Bobby Bowden's probably on his last season, and Richt's bound to go to FSU when Bowden leaves.

That would probably hurt the Dawgs big time.

I don't really understand what there is to be worried about. Fulmer is only 54 years old. It'll be 6 or 7 years before the word retirement even begins to enter his voacabulary.

I agree with OldVol about Mark Richt. The second that Bobby Bowden retires - the bidding war will begin. Chuck Amato at NC State is the other logical candidate.

Wow I havent even thought about Phil retiring.....i honestly believe its gonna be so far from know that we would have no clue who would coach us because a ton of things can happen in that time span

Originally posted by TNFanBornandRaised@Feb 23, 2005 12:48 PM
Wow I havent even thought about Phil retiring.....i honestly believe its gonna be so far from know that we would have no clue who would coach us because a ton of things can happen in that time span

Absolutely.

To post a thread saying, "Fulmer Won't Be Around Much Longer" is just inflammatory.

Bowden is in his 70s and still winning.

Who is to say Fulmer couldn't be effective until he's 70?

This, "Fulmer Won't Be Around Much Longer" is just another indication that this poster has an ax to grind. Phil's only 54. He's got a minimum of 10 years left, maybe 15 if his health holds.

We need to start thinking about that.

WE need to start thinking about that? If WE are on the athletic department payroll, THEY NEED to start sending me a check. Last time CPF was in town on a caravan, he said he hoped to retire at UT and unless his health was a problem, he'd stay until at least 65. He's coming here in a couple of months, so I'll ask him who WE need to consider to replace him. :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Feb 23, 2005 1:03 PM
We need to start thinking about that.

WE need to start thinking about that? If WE are on the athletic department payroll, THEY NEED to start sending me a check. Last time CPF was in town on a caravan, he said he hoped to retire at UT and unless his health was a problem, he'd stay until at least 65. He's coming here in a couple of months, so I'll ask him who WE need to consider to replace him. :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a check in the box for a while either.

Maybe it was just an oversight by the athletic department.

It's about time for the mail; I'm going to run down and check. I'll let you know. :lol:

When I stop and think of why some people say the things they do, i.e., "Fulmer's leaving, what are we to do, oh, we're doomed, a backup center is injured.". :banghead:

you all make a good discussion. I think the thing that sticks out to me the most is that we tend to hire from within. I cannot imagine us going out of the UT family to find another coach. Having said that, I do not really see a good candidate right now. Sanders is adequate but I don't see him keeping UT at the next level. Chavis does not want to be the head coach, he is a terrible recruiter anyway. Trooper, to me, has the potential but he is young and is still somewhat of an outsider.

So I agree with you guys that CPF is not going anywhere for 6 years or so. But I was thinking that we cannot wait until that time to develop a replacement.

His contract is thru 2011 which will put him right about 60. If he and his wife choose at that point to kick the heels up, he'll retire. But, that's 7 playing seasons of time left. If he's not ready to retire when it gets here, he'll re-sign. Fulmer will be the headmaster at UT as long as he says he wants to be. This program will have to bust apart something awful for him to leave any other way. His comment in the Tennessean when asked if he would retire at 60 when his contract runs out was that it was a better question for his wife. That's all. The rest is off season conjecture on our part. As far as FSU, we know Terry Bowden won't come out of the booth to get that job. He wears too much make up to coach football players now. If he had found another program and redeemed himself, he would be a shoe in. Richt definitely would be tops on their list, but personally I think he has built as good or better program than he will be going to. UGA would make every pitch to keep him. FSU is that, but they have been 'off' a little the last few years. Amato, definitely a good coach that can go bigger than NC State. Tommy will be on the list, but has not fared as well at Clemson as they would have liked to see if they were to keep it in the family.

with the storied history of UT and the year in year out success of UT's program there will be dozens of great coaches jumpin at the chance to coach the vols.

dont worry about the next coach Fulmer will be here for a good while and when he decides to hang it up there will be a very qualified replacement on the sidelines callin the shots.

why are we talking about him retiring? for all we know he may retire at the end of this season. he will be here untill we run him out of town. age 67 is when i think he will retire.

well I don't want the other recruiters using that against us. I can already hear Meyer saying "do not go to UT, Fulmer will not be there much longer". At some point that is going to happen. But if we have a replacement then it will not be that bad.

Originally posted by westsidevol@Feb 23, 2005 2:00 PM
well I don't want the other recruiters using that against us. I can already hear Meyer saying "do not go to UT, Fulmer will not be there much longer". At some point that is going to happen. But if we have a replacement then it will not be that bad.

He's 54; not 70! He's not that much older than the other coaches. This is not even a concern at this point.

Originally posted by westsidevol@Feb 23, 2005 2:00 PM

This is the funniest post I've read in a while, Fulmer has outlasted 40 coaches in the SEC alone and will be coaching UT long after Spurrier Retires and both Richt and Myer get the boot.

Do you have any idea how old Spurrier is ?

Even the "youngster" Mark Richt is 44. Should UGA start combing high schools for possible replacements. He might be retiring in only 15 years!?! :yikes:

VN Store

Back