Gainesville

How are the fans at Florida? I have always wanted to make a trip down there to see the stadium, but didnt really know if it was a good idea.

If you want to actually go there, it sounds like now would probably be the best time. It seems like we've lost so much to Florida, their fans don't care anymore.

I was there back in the 90s. I saw fans throwing stuff at the UT visitor's section all through the game. I saw gator fans trying to urinate on UT fans as they left the stadium. I saw gator fans vandalizing the cars of UT fans. Gave me no desire to ever go back or spend a dime in Gainesville.

But now that we've sucked for years, it sounds like it's fine (and it's weird to see people on here now complain about Georgia. I've been to games there numerous times and never seen any issues or trouble). That is unless we win somehow.

Being a grad student at UF and a VFL, I have been to several Tennessee games (Football and Basketball) and never had a problem. Sure their fans are annoying but I have never felt like I was in danger or anything. That being said, I'll be there for the game and can't wait till Butch and team 117 smack the gators in the mouth and send all their bandwagon fans home crying. I'll be stuck in the UF student section for the game but definitely home to see some fellow VFLs tailgating before the game

I know that you're a grad student, but is there any club/party places around there?

That's the good stuff.

People down here just don't get it. About every other weekend I crank up the Egg and cook some pork butts. The smell from the smoker lingers throughout the neighborhood.

People down there (in FL), by and large, are snow birds and Yankee transplants who think that BBQ is hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill.

I'll be there--I'm heading down to St. Augustine on Wednesday for some golf and R&R, party there for a couple of days, head to Gville on Friday---hope to find some good clubs downtown for friday night with some of the hot local talent---anyone know of some good places.

That's the good stuff.

People down here just don't get it. About every other weekend I crank up the Egg and cook some pork butts. The smell from the smoker lingers throughout the neighborhood.

Same here! :) Loved me some pulled pork.

Enjoy the game fellers.

I know that you're a grad student, but is there any club/party places around there?

There are two main areas to go party in Gainesville Downtown and Midtown. These areas are literally 5 minutes apart. Midtown has several bars ( Gator City, The Swamp, Balls, Salty Dog Saloon, Cantina) that have cheap drink specials and there are a ton of undergraduates out. Downtown has a couple of "clubs" such as Sharab or Simons and some good bars. Now I use the term club lightly since these are not huge clubs like you might find in bigger cities. If your looking for a good place to grab a beer downtown I suggest Tall Paul's downtown. Lots of good beer on tap.

Reactions: 1 person
If you want to actually go there, it sounds like now would probably be the best time. It seems like we've lost so much to Florida, their fans don't care anymore.

I was there back in the 90s. I saw fans throwing stuff at the UT visitor's section all through the game. I saw gator fans trying to urinate on UT fans as they left the stadium. I saw gator fans vandalizing the cars of UT fans. Gave me no desire to ever go back or spend a dime in Gainesville.

But now that we've sucked for years, it sounds like it's fine (and it's weird to see people on here now complain about Georgia. I've been to games there numerous times and never seen any issues or trouble). That is unless we win somehow.

I was there in '91 & '93 & rude, vulgar & obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe their fans. They are why I hate Florida so much! I went to Athens last year & couldn't believe how nice Dawg fans were to us!

I was there in '91 & '93 & rude, vulgar & obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe their fans. They are why I hate Florida so much! I went to Athens last year & couldn't believe how nice Dawg fans were to us!

Yeah, those were probably 2 of the worst years to go to Gainesville. (After the '90 and '92 blowouts)

I'll be there with another Vol and a Gamecock but he'll be wearing orange that day.

I was there for the game in 2003. Let me preface this by saying that I'm sure there are plenty of respectful Florida fans. I'm not sure if its because we won but take a cab to the game. The younger Florida fans are some of the most vile human beings I've ever encountered.

Reactions: 1 person
That's awesome. I've got a 3 month old daughter. It will likely be 20 years before I take her to the swamp. Not the worst away game experiences I have ever had, but right up there. My wife will not go back toto Gainesville with me. But I think Georgia is usually much worse. Have fun, safe travels, and Go Vols!

I've heard it's not as bad as it was during the Spurrier era, but I guess I'm going to find out soon.

Anyone got two extras. I live in Valdosta, Ga and I plan on bringing my 16 year old son to the game?? Would love to sit with good ole UT fans

Driving up from east Orlando. Dad and brother coming in to go also.

Me as well. This is the first time I can remember in 22 years (Have only missed '99 and '09) that UT Alumni did not have some sort of pre-game tailgate event in Gainsville. They used to have it in the Holiday Inn back in the 90's then past decade been at the student center with a nice buffet ..band cheerleaders etc stopping in for a little pre-game Rocky Top

I want to welcome all the Vol fans making the trip down to Gainesville next week. For those of you who have never been, I think you'll find that we aren't as bad as some people say. Our group does a big tailgate right outside the parking garage near the O'Connell Center and any Vol is welcome to stop by.

Whatever you guys may think about us, I just want to say that this Gator has come to appreciate how great the people of east Tennessee are. I understand the rivalry isn't as intense as it was in the 90's, but even then, I don't think Vol fans were ever out of control. Looking back, it's easy to see that Fulmer was always a gentleman and it was always us making the provocative comments and pouring gas on the fire. It's funny because, with the rise of LSU, Georgia, and Alabama, I think a lot of younger Gator fans who grew up hating the Vols as "enemey #1" in the 90's have discovered they don't even begin to compare to some of the a-holes you find in those other fan bases. I miss the days when Tennessee was beating Alabama every single year and the Florida/UT game pretty much set the tone for the rest of the season in the SEC.

The media and pop culture likes to make fun of Appalachia, but I swear I think the folks of east Tennessee are some of the best people this country has to offer. My family has recently started spending Christmas up in the Gatlinburg area and that whole region is just a beautiful place with great people. I bet you couldn't pay east Tennesseans enough money to move to some of these other more hyped locales like California, Florida, New York, etc. When you're flying into Knoxville or the Tri Cities area, you look down and everything is so green and lush. Tennesseans should be incredibly proud of their state, especially that east region.

I understand it might be easier to write this when you've won 8 straight in the series, but my feelings transcend the wins and losses. Even if it was the Vols winning 3 of 4 national titles, I seriously doubt they would be as insufferable as the Bammers. There's just something about these Alabama people where the game completely invades their mind to the point that they lose sense of reality and take things to levels I didn't even know existed. We will all be better for it when Tennessee starts controlling that rivalry again - I truly believe that. The good folks on Rocky Top have suffered long enough and it's time to get the Big Orange back in the mix when we talk about SEC Championships.

Anyway, best of luck at Oregon and can't wait for our game in The Swamp.

Reactions: 3 people
I want to welcome all the Vol fans making the trip down to Gainesville next week. For those of you who have never been, I think you'll find that we aren't as bad as some people say. Our group does a big tailgate right outside the parking garage near the O'Connell Center and any Vol is welcome to stop by.

Whatever you guys may think about us, I just want to say that this Gator has come to appreciate how great the people of east Tennessee are. I understand the rivalry isn't as intense as it was in the 90's, but even then, I don't think Vol fans were ever out of control. Looking back, it's easy to see that Fulmer was always a gentleman and it was always us making the provocative comments and pouring gas on the fire. It's funny because, with the rise of LSU, Georgia, and Alabama, I think a lot of younger Gator fans who grew up hating the Vols as "enemey #1" in the 90's have discovered they don't even begin to compare to some of the a-holes you find in those other fan bases. I miss the days when Tennessee was beating Alabama every single year and the Florida/UT game pretty much set the tone for the rest of the season in the SEC.

The media and pop culture likes to make fun of Appalachia, but I swear I think the folks of east Tennessee are some of the best people this country has to offer. My family has recently started spending Christmas up in the Gatlinburg area and that whole region is just a beautiful place with great people. I bet you couldn't pay east Tennesseans enough money to move to some of these other more hyped locales like California, Florida, New York, etc. When you're flying into Knoxville or the Tri Cities area, you look down and everything is so green and lush. Tennesseans should be incredibly proud of their state, especially that east region.

I understand it might be easier to write this when you've won 8 straight in the series, but my feelings transcend the wins and losses. Even if it was the Vols winning 3 of 4 national titles, I seriously doubt they would be as insufferable as the Bammers. There's just something about these Alabama people where the game completely invades their mind to the point that they lose sense of reality and take things to levels I didn't even know existed. We will all be better for it when Tennessee starts controlling that rivalry again - I truly believe that. The good folks on Rocky Top have suffered long enough and it's time to get the Big Orange back in the mix when we talk about SEC Championships.

Well said.

:hi: Agree.

VN Store

Back