Game Thread: #13/10 LSU (23-4, 10-3) @ Tennessee (16-9, 9-4 SEC) 2/25/24 12:00 pm EST ESPN

Said last week, if NIL is an issue as some claim. You look to recoup and move on. That’s why I stated last week, it’s almost like professional sports model…and would Tennessee fans be ok with saying goodbye to Key to free up money and years of eligibility. Hard choice, but loyal to players or getting the Tennessee brand right.
I'd be shocked if kicking those players to the curb saved a dime of NIL money. All came before it was a thing and I highly doubt any are now getting paid to stay. All profit a bit off painting with a twist, etc but I'll bet that's their only NIL income.

As you know, almost all our NIL has gone to the portal.

Disagree. Obviously a Karo booster, definitely has every right to make points and back up w stats. We need posters, feel free.

It’s not very accurate though. Skipped over a lot there.

She missed helpside coverage twice giving up layups in the 2 minutes she played. There were also two defensive possessions with 4+ offensive rebounds for LSU which is why she did not play.

Kellie was pissed after the possession where LSU got 5 offensive rebounds and Karo just stood there like a stick with her hands in the air while Johnson finally got the putback.

The only player who had a positive +\- was Jillian which is huge for us because we have really needed her to play better and she has recently. She did a nice job competing on the glass and looked much tougher against LSU than she has.

Still not crazy that Jill refuses to make a back to the basket move but her face up jumper has been falling better. She needs a counter to that though. At the moment that’s her go to and only move unless she gets something in transition.

I don't understand this. If the "leader" tells Sara, Strip, Darby, and Wynn to hit the road, who do you think they'd be replaced with? Do you guys really think we're going to get 6 or 8 portal players, all better than those 4? I'm worried we're not going to get the good young post and the effective wing scorer we desperately need, let alone four more better than those. Ya'll have alot more faith in our portal prospects this spring than I do.

Also, what that would say about the program would not be pretty. Those guys are going nowhere in their last year, w the possible exception of Strip who I'm not sure about. I just pray they can continue to be solid role players and that we don't need them to be more than that.
It wouldn't be any of the juniors unless it was up to them. They already know that playing time is based on performance make a difference when your on the floor. I was thinking you could tell Tess not to take a covid year could move Ace into a few minutes. She has two more years would probably play better with a little more time on the floor. I would only want 8 or 9 total coming back. Then you take three or four from the portal. Three or hopefully more 2025 freshmen then fill in more with 2025 portal before 2025 season begins.
A really good player just got kicked off the Arizona team. I would be apprehensive if I didn't know the track record of Barnes and transfers out there. Something very bad going on for that many players to leave.

Anyway returnees could be Striplin, Puckett, Hollingshead, Wynn, Spear, Strickland, Boyd, Key if she wants to, and Wells. Then go in the portal for a point guard an actual center post player and one elite wing and that is a solid roster for next season. That is 12 and you would have 7 leaving. Add Brooks and two more freshmen. Go in the 2025 portal for three players and you have a roster of 11 for 2025.

If any of the juniors decided to leave then just add more portal players in 2024. Of course if we have a new coach it could be really interesting as what transpires with the roster and the one recruited player.

Reactions: brittannica
I'd be shocked if kicking those players to the curb saved a dime of NIL money. All came before it was a thing and I highly doubt any are now getting paid to stay. All profit a bit off painting with a twist, etc but I'll bet that's their only NIL income.

It will only happen with a new coach not with Harper. She is not going to ask anyone to leave. Everyone that has left thus far did it voluntarily except the rule breakers.

I don't understand this. If the "leader" tells Sara, Strip, Darby, and Wynn to hit the road, who do you think they'd be replaced with? Do you guys really think we're going to get 6 or 8 portal players, all better than those 4? I'm worried we're not going to get the good young post and the effective wing scorer we desperately need, let alone four more better than those. Ya'll have alot more faith in our portal prospects this spring than I do.

Also, what that would say about the program would not be pretty. Those guys are going nowhere in their last year, w the possible exception of Strip who I'm not sure about. I just pray they can continue to be solid role players and that we don't need them to be more than that.
100% agree. Best case scenario we find a few transformational players to add from the portal. I think losing multiple players like that who are the foundation of the positive culture in the program would be devastating. Ideally, they're still here as leaders, but like you said, can be role players.

No inside knowledge, but I'm guessing Key comes back after a summer of getting healthy and hopefully returns to her junior year form (or better) - that was by far Harper's best defensive and rebounding team.

With RJ I'm pretty sure we have at least one more ranked win, Notre Dame, and avoid our worse loss, MTSU. Those would have impacted seeding greatly, but probably are beyond the kind of seeding speculation the committee would do.

Truthfully, any hope for a decent season ended the moment RJ got hurt. The team has never really completely recovered from the horrid stretch without her, and neither has she. Not only that, but it gave a horrifying look at what next season is likely to look like.
She wasn’t the only one hurt… even during that stretch.

Your seem to be related to Karo which clouds your judgement. I would be very careful posting on here too much if you’re directly related to a player. Have seen it before and usually it’s not a good look and doesn’t end well.

Remember this is a fan message board, this are the craziest of the crazies. Take everything with a grain of salt and remember some of these posters may even be teens and children.
I am not related and am only a fan , my judgement is not clouded, just hate to see coaching recruit a player one way and play a different way and cut her minutes because of it. She works hard and wants to play and when she is on the court she shows hustle, determination and skills. Several current players stand around and get 30+ minutes. I hate for people put up false statements about any player. If you play 5 or 6 players 30+ minutes, yes they are going to lose their legs and thus bad shooting. This coaching staff is terrible at bench management. when players works as hard as she does she deserves more than 3 minute. Wonder if they will stay same against A&M. She had 18 against them last time. Hey maybe get 5 this time, lol. Again I am just a fan of the game and in NO way related.

That may not be completely true...No players are getting kicked to the curb, however...

I love Karoline. She's a hardworking, dedicated teammate that really works on her game, but she didn't matchup well with LSU's athletes.

I sit pretty close to the actiion and this year's LSU team impressed me as being far more athletic than last year's team. We were able to counter that with Tamari and Jillian's size, which unfortunately Karoline is a little short on.

I am not related and am only a fan , my judgement is not clouded, just hate to see coaching recruit a player one way and play a different way and cut her minutes because of it. She works hard and wants to play and when she is on the court she shows hustle, determination and skills. Several current players stand around and get 30+ minutes. I hate for people put up false statements about any player. If you play 5 or 6 players 30+ minutes, yes they are going to lose their legs and thus bad shooting. This coaching staff is terrible at bench management. when players works as hard as she does she deserves more than 3 minute. Wonder if they will stay same against A&M. She had 18 against them last time. Hey maybe get 5 this time, lol. Again I am just a fan of the game and in NO way related.

I love Karoline. She's a hardworking, dedicated teammate that really works on her game, but she didn't matchup well with LSU's athletes.

I sit pretty close to the actiion and this year's LSU team impressed me as being far more athletic than last year's team. We were able to counter that with Tamari and Jillian's size, which unfortunately Karoline is a little short on.
Karo was covering Flo Jo and she did not score, she also fronted Reese and stopped her shot. Guess will have to disagree she can not cover them. If defense is concern why is Darby on the floor , would not need backside help if players cover thier own.

Karo was covering Flo Jo and she did not score, she also fronted Reese and stopped her shot. Guess will have to disagree she can not cover them. If defense is concern why is Darby on the floor , would not need backside help if players cover thier own.
Idk how much credit Karo can take for Flau not scoring when Flau was sick and had to be pulled from the game early on because of it.

Again, not true. Dawn is the third highest paid coach behind Geno and Mulkey btw. Which I have no problem with.
Did you see this? This article says, with bonuses, etc., DS is highest paid.

Really, with bonuses, perks, insurance, etc., it might be hard to say which Coach is highest paid in a given year.

Easy to say KM, Geno, and DS are not hurting for money.

Did you see this? This article says, with bonuses, etc., DS is highest paid.

Really, with bonuses, perks, insurance, etc., it might be hard to say which Coach is highest paid in a given year.

Easy to say KM, Geno, and DS are not hurting for money.

KM got a new contract since your article, and DS is still a bit behind GA also. After those 3 there is a significant drop off. It gives everyone an idea what it would cost to pull in a top 10 type coach however, and imo it would take in the neighborhood of $1.5-2.0 million to get serious. More if you are after a top 5 type obviously. I think those coaches in WBB that are successful are worth every penny. There is an error in these rankings btw, they still have the old aTm coach listed and Joni at UGA. Those numbers are obviously wrong now, but at the time of the article the change was already in place so sloppy on the reporters side.

Last edited:
All this talk about how limited and how disposable Tennessee's current roster is, and how easy it would be to kick them to the curb after years of loyalty, as part of hiring a new coach. Such inspiring rhetoric. If there were changes to be made, I'd be far more interested in seeing just what a new coach could do with the players on Tennessee's roster, than I would seeing how quickly they could get rid of them and replace them with players who would be there and gone in the blink of an eye. It would be so much more rewarding to see their years of service and work pay off, to see these players succeed after so much struggle, than it would to see that work discarded.

I recall Bruce Pearl's first year in Knoxville, how he took that broken roster and forged them into a team capable of success. How fond people are of that year, 2005, with its improbable wins and heady results. He didn't reject his roster; he grabbed them head on and said "I will make you better." That year was, and still is, a special season for Tennessee. A result that seems so much more attractive than the Mulkey "I'm going to run 8 players off, replace them with one year rentals, and THEN run even more off so I can make room for more transfers." Certainly more impressive. An old fashioned perspective, perhaps, but I'd like to think I am not alone in it.

All this talk about how limited and how disposable Tennessee's current roster is, and how easy it would be to kick them to the curb after years of loyalty, as part of hiring a new coach. Such inspiring rhetoric. If there were changes to be made, I'd be far more interested in seeing just what a new coach could do with the players on Tennessee's roster, than I would seeing how quickly they could get rid of them and replace them with players who would be there and gone in the blink of an eye. It would be so much more rewarding to see their years of service and work pay off, to see these players succeed after so much struggle, than it would to see that work discarded.

I recall Bruce Pearl's first year in Knoxville, how he took that broken roster and forged them into a team capable of success. How fond people are of that year, 2005, with its improbable wins and heady results. He didn't reject his roster; he grabbed them head on and said "I will make you better." That year was, and still is, a special season for Tennessee. A result that seems so much more attractive than the Mulkey "I'm going to run 8 players off, replace them with one year rentals, and THEN run even more off so I can make room for more transfers." Certainly more impressive. An old fashioned perspective, perhaps, but I'd like to think I am not alone in it.
Valid points, certainly with respect to players loyal to the program etc, it’s always best to see them rewarded and coached up. But I would be remiss if not stating I was unaware that KM has a history of running off players, maybe I’m just out of the loop and have not paid attention closely enough.

Idk how much credit Karo can take for Flau not scoring when Flau was sick and had to be pulled from the game early on because of it.
I just went back and watched the 2 minutess Karo played at end of half, not sure where comment was about her defense. From what I saw she provided help side , caused Reese to miss the shot and was knocked to the floor, she recovered after lsu go the rebound and fronted Reese again underneath and caused to make bad pass underneath because she could get a shot up. Later in time frame Karo was 3 ft out of the paint when lsu drove around across the lane , Darby was weak side help and she never bothered contest. Again Karo played in those 2 minutes, enuff said , go back and watch. Maybe coaching can’t tell her and Darby apart.

Reactions: madtownvol
I just went back and watched the 2 minutess Karo played at end of half, not sure where comment was about her defense. From what I saw she provided help side , caused Reese to miss the shot and was knocked to the floor, she recovered after lsu go the rebound and fronted Reese again underneath and caused to make bad pass underneath because she could get a shot up. Later in time frame Karo was 3 ft out of the paint when lsu drove around across the lane , Darby was weak side help and she never bothered contest. Again Karo played in those 2 minutes, enuff said , go back and watch. Maybe coaching can’t tell her and Darby apart.
Karo played solid as she almost always does

Reactions: Rooster1
Karo played solid as she almost always does
Agree. And playing a wing spot from the 3 or even the 4 spot would be sooo beneficial to her, esp since she can drain the 3. She is being asked to play the 5 spot and that is given as the reason why she does not get minutes in many games, but you can see the catch 22 here for her. It’s like saying we need you at the 5 spot, but in many games you are not the right player to get minutes at the 5 spot so we have to sit you, even though she is a true 4 and perhaps a 3 in the right circumstances where she would be most useful. Perplexing.

Last edited:
Agree. And playing a wing spot from the 3 or even the 4 spot would be sooo beneficial to her, esp since she can drain the 3. She is being asked to play the 5 spot and that is given as the reason why she does not get minutes in many games, but you can see the catch 22 here for her.
She is not a 3 and never will be. As slow as Puckett and Darby are on the wing, they are STILL way faster than Karo. She is a stretch four with a limited skill set, like Hollingshead without the handle. I’m just not sure what kind of meaningful minutes she could get with a normal roster. Hard worker, but low ceiling…which she has already reached.

It says we mean business and going to turn **** wreck around for once

She is not a 3 and never will be. As slow as Puckett and Darby are on the wing, they are STILL way faster than Karo. She is a stretch four with a limited skill set, like Hollingshead without the handle. I’m just not sure what kind of meaningful minutes she could get with a normal roster. Hard worker, but low ceiling…which she has already reached.
So I guess that is why she has scored double figures when she gets time . I seem to remember a games where she had multiple 3’s. Fast don’t help if you can’t slide and play defense. Darby regularly lets players get by her for layups and her shooting is off most nights. I believe Karo could easily outperform her if given the minutes. Darby plays lazy most nights and yes she could spell Puckett for extended minutes, especially on nights her shots are not falling. i appear to alone on this but when she plays talent shows through and she’s plays more as a team player than anyone else on the team and does it with heart and determination.

VN Store

Back