Game Thread: Lady Vols at Mississippi State; Thurs Jan 18 ; 5PM ; SEC Network win 75-64

How in the world can you pre determine a sub pattern before a game. That's got to be the STUPIEST thing I have ever heard of. No wonder we look lost in the first half. CKH did not learn that from coach Summit. Kellie hardly ever came out of the game when she was playing. Coach Summit made the statement several times that she was the coach on the floor. I would really like to hear the logic behind the sub pattern.
It is called a game plan. Every coach has one.

That’s not an answer. As I stated, what do you mean? I don’t see why they are in the same conversation. There is no comparison.

This originated at post #601 where I responded to a post discussing who would defend against Justine. I compared verifyable stats: Puckett vs Justine. I was told that was the wrong comparison. I posted Spear's stats. If not one of those two, which of our starters will we run out there vs Justine?

I thought I read a few months ago that this Lady Vol team had final four potential? Maybe I’m mistaken but this team is average at best.

I thought we had seen the worse under Holly but I was completely wrong. It pains me to say this, but AD White must make a change after this season. Attendance will suffer the rest of the year and recruiting could suffer, too.

Our younger fans haven’t seen how dominant this program was under Pat. Teams feared playing the Lady Vols as the players played with intensity. If they didn’t, Pat would tell them to ride the pine.

The right coaching staff can make this program elite, again. Time will tell. Hopefully they make a run and find a way to get the win as I want this team to excel and suc E hard for recruiting to worse.
I thought I read a few months ago that this Lady Vol team had final four potential? Maybe I’m mistaken but this team is average at best.

I thought we had seen the worse under Holly but I was completely wrong. It pains me to say this, but AD White must make a change after this season. Attendance will suffer the rest of the year and recruiting could suffer, too.

Our younger fans haven’t seen how dominant this program was under Pat. Teams feared playing the Lady Vols as the players played with intensity. If they didn’t, Pat would tell them to ride the pine.

The right coaching staff can make this program elite, again. Time will tell. Hopefully they make a run and find a way to get the win as I want this team to excel and succeed.
Not sure recruiting can be worse. Think will lose a couple n the portal.

This originated at post #601 where I responded to a post discussing who would defend against Justine. I compared verifyable stats: Puckett vs Justine. I was told that was the wrong comparison. I posted Spear's stats. If not one of those two, which of our starters will we run out there vs Justine?
Before coming to Tennessee Justine was highly recruited. Her skills got worse under Kellie. She is now a starter on a winning program. Sunday game will be interesting.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Wynn not driving into the trees throwing up wild shots.
She has got blocked but she was taking good shots. Just bigger defender.

The thing keeping Wynn was her track speed. From getting game time.
And her improve shooting and offense control she will get minutes she's deserves.

She has easy up on the horsepower.
Now is the time feral bread race horse to turn it on down the track..

Like a good jockey Wynn has learned went to hold back.
And when to turn on her speed.
…change of pace is a real thing. ZZ has it in spades.

the most relevant comparison is Tess who has dropped out of the starting line but is averaging the same number of minutes pg (21) as Justine.

JPs offensive numbers are slightly better 7 pts. vs 5 pts APG and her shooting % are also slightly better 35% to 31% for 2pt shooting and 34% to 31% for 3s. Tess has a slight edge in rebounding 3.5 versus 2.3 pg and assist numbers are the same (both less than one pg).

Stats don't reveal the intangibles though Tess having more steals might tell us something about their comparative defensive intensity.

In the end, Kellie seems to have bet on Tess rather than JP. JP's stats are making that bet seem like an even steven outcome so far.

Given JP's pre-college accolades, her collegiate numbers do seem incongruous.

Last edited:
Before coming to Tennessee Justine was highly recruited. Her skills got worse under Kellie. She is now a starter on a winning program. Sunday game will be interesting.

You could’ve stopped typing at “starter on a winning program”! Tennessee 8 games without one of the teams best players is still a winning program.
You don’t have to think anything of the current team but it doesn’t change reality and what game analysts say night in and night out when this team plays. The Lady Vols are and will always be one of the most respected teams in WBB.
Sunday will be what it always has been when Tennessee play Vanderbilt in WBB

Last edited:
Reactions: mudcat1973 and Lucy
the most relevant comparison is Tess who has dropped out of the starting line but is averaging the same number of minutes pg (21) as Justine.

Going to disagree with you there in one way and agree with you in another. Tess only has 88 minutes and 17 shots attempted in SEC play over 5 games and the trend is that her minutes are on the decline. If I were to compare who will go head-to-head on Sunday, I would not use Tess. But on the other hand, if you look at Justine and where she would be slotted if she were still at UT, yes, she would be right there fighting for a few minutes with Tess and Avery.

Here are Tess's SEC stats

1705702656432.png

Going to disagree with you there in one way and agree with you in another. Tess only has 88 minutes and 17 shots attempted in SEC play over 5 games and the trend is that her minutes are on the decline. If I were to compare who will go head-to-head on Sunday, I would not use Tess. But on the other hand, if you look at Justine and where she would be slotted if she were still at UT, yes, she would be right there fighting for a few minutes with Tess and Avery.

Here are Tess's SEC stats

View attachment 611975

Avery appears to be a more athletic, but smaller, version of Tess (5'10 versus 6'1). It will be interesting to see what she can contribute as the season goes on

Spear? I'm afraid it is not any better for quitter Justine

View attachment 611864
I know Spear is a natural for the shooting guard position, but she is the only person on our team that I feel total secure about when the ball in her hands. She plays within herself better than anyone else on our team A assist turnover ratio of 10:1 and her high shooting percentages says it all.

I know Spear is a natural for the shooting guard position, but she is the only person on our team that I feel total secure about when the ball in her hands. She plays within herself better than anyone else on our team A assist turnover ratio of 10:1 and her high shooting percentages says it all.

Agreed. She’s also a big shot MAKER. On numerous occasions this year she has been the player to reclaim the lead during a run. She likes a big moment, gotta respect that.

Was a big win for UT against MSU, much needed and important. They will be the 3rd ranked team from the SEC once again unless I am wrong, and that puts them squarely in the NCAA tourney again with a chance to make some more hay. Not out of the question for them to be #2 in the SEC either, LSU has to come to TBA For their only meeting this year. I think UT can win that game in Knoxville, if they play up to their ability.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back