Game Thread: Lady Vols at Mississippi State; Thurs Jan 18 ; 5PM ; SEC Network win 75-64

Okay, that explains a lot right now. I know the men's team went through sickness (Aidoo and Knecht, I think)
I posted about Maria M C telling Rickea Jackson look sick.
And they were other lady Vols sick.
She said that's why the team played low energy vs Texas A&M university.

But the Kellie got go crowd.
Just said she said that to help Kellie's seat get cooler.

My Dad was all about JoJo White, John Havlicek, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish and "Team BB"
I was all about Kareem, Byron, Magic, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Shaq, Kobe and "showtime BB"
The games between the Celtics and Lakers in that time period were epic. That was real basketball with real players that gave everything they could to win. The games were played with hatred and respect, but not egos.

The games between the Celtics and Lakers in that time period were epic. That was real basketball with real players that gave everything they could to win. The games were played with hatred and respect, but not egos.
Lakers fan here, since mid 70's ..

The 80's team of Magic, Worthy ,Jabbar was really great but the team of Kobe and Shaq that won 3 straight NBA titles was the most dominant Lakers team I have seen..

Of course Kobe Bryant is the Greatest in my book😎

Reactions: Coach Jumper
How in the world can you pre determine a sub pattern before a game. That's got to be the STUPIEST thing I have ever heard of. No wonder we look lost in the first half. CKH did not learn that from coach Summit. Kellie hardly ever came out of the game when she was playing. Coach Summit made the statement several times that she was the coach on the floor. I would really like to hear the logic behind the sub pattern.
LOL calm down there sport. It's a just sub template, all teams do it. It's like football coaches having the first 10 plays predetermined. Then anything that happens during the actual game can overrule the template. Alot of the time the first subs, which happen about 3 or 4 mins in the game, are the last predetermined ones that actually happen.

It would be coaching malpractice to have a player as crucial as Rickea and one as playing mins sensitive as Key and not have an idea of how and when you're going to rest them. And if you notice, the best players get plenty of mins in close games. You have to have an idea who's going to sub for who and when based on matchups, player health, etc. They do a great job sneaking breaks in for Rickea just before qtr breaks and just before media timeouts so she gets extra rest. These are things that need to be predetermined, but are flexible given how the game unfolds.

It's not that big a deal. I was really just addressing those who see assistants sending players into games and think KJH has no influence. That's just not true. BTW, Pat did this too.

Last edited:
The Lady Vols live rpi dropped to 42 which usually means a similar drop in the Net so should expect then updated somewhere around 50 which would put us in the tournament bracket for now. A lot probably depends on how much they downgrade Auburn after their loss yesterday.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
How in the world can you pre determine a sub pattern before a game. That's got to be the STUPIEST thing I have ever heard of. No wonder we look lost in the first half. CKH did not learn that from coach Summit. Kellie hardly ever came out of the game when she was playing. Coach Summit made the statement several times that she was the coach on the floor. I would really like to hear the logic behind the sub pattern.
Nothing different most teams do for games. The plan was not executed at all. There was certainly no plan for Tamari to play 28 minutes or Kaiya 22 or Jasmine 38. I was glad to see that we were going with the players that were playing well and executing both offensively and defensively. I wish this was the plan everygame sometimes they let the pre-determined one get in the way of player performance.

Last edited:
I wish this was the plan everygame sometimes they let the pre-determined one get in the way of player performance.
I know the difference is tiny, but I think that's more just trying to get mins for players who actually play. But last night those were held to just "get em in the game" mins for Jill, Strip, and Tess. Most of all, even your high performers, or especially your high performers, need rest. Don't want them having to play 40 if you can help it.

I know the difference is tiny, but I think that's more just trying to get mins for players who actually play. But last night those were held to just "get em in the game" mins for Jill, Strip, and Tess. Most of all, even your high performers, or especially your high performers, need rest. Don't want them having to play 40 if you can help it.
Was nice to see that our staff were able to determine what matchups were working and stuck with it. Karoline usually plays a lot more could not handle their inside players. Tamari handled them very well. I was certainly surprised that Tamari could play 28 minutes. It also seemed to me like Kaiya played more than 22 cause all 22 she played we dominated the game. Jasmine only sit out two minutes she usually goes about 30 to 32. Puckett playing more perimeter and Jackson more as the stretch four in the second half really helped the offense.

One of top Kellie fire bunch said.
Kellie trying to get fired.
When post on Kellie playing Wynn at point.
He doesn't post much when we win.
What do think of Wynn play now if you got your ears on?

I have been watching Wynn even in high school ….. She played point guard some in high school ! But Cambridge even in the eight grade was able to handle the point guard and allowed Wynn to run and gun for full court and she was just a better athlete than most kids in high school! Just my opinion !

She played similarly to Rae Burrell with that bull in a China shop mentality! You can still see her get her game going so fast that she gets too far over her ski’s and is a little out of control. But I can see where coaching has reined her in some and the results are obvious! This is a very good athlete learning how to play basketball !

P.S. watch her with help defense when her man doesn’t have the ball …. A lot of things happen other than where the ball is …

Of course GT,,,mine too...always have been, always will be
I have two teams I never root against
Lady Vols, LA Lakers...both since the mid 70s

Justine's my girl.
A perfect game sunday would be Justine goes 4-6 and lady vols win by 20
I hope Justine goes 0 for 6, the player she guards goes for 20 and the Lady Vols win by 20.

I have been watching Wynn even in high school ….. She played point guard some in high school ! But Cambridge even in the eight grade was able to handle the point guard and allowed Wynn to run and gun for full court and she was just a better athlete than most kids in high school! Just my opinion !

She played similarly to Rae Burrell with that bull in a China shop mentality! You can still see her get her game going so fast that she gets too far over her ski’s and is a little out of control. But I can see where coaching has reined her in some and the results are obvious! This is a very good athlete learning how to play basketball !

P.S. watch her with help defense when her man doesn’t have the ball …. A lot of things happen other than where the ball is …
Really amazing offensive improvement. First two seasons 35 percent from the field and this season 42 percent. Foul line 48 percent first two seasons and 73 this season. Averaging 15 minutes this season. I can see that rising over 20 for the remaining games.

Again, so much negativity because only won by double digits but did not dominate from the opening tip (with the slow start being due to Kellie be the absolute coach in the world and the turn around being something that just inexplicably happened).

I attribute the bad first quarter (and a half) to all the travel disruptions.

I actually liked the LVs spreading the court and taking the open threes. But, when you start shooting 1 for 11, you are going to have some problems plus RJ missing a lot of shots that she typically makes. MissST actually hit some shots where the LVs played pretty defense. But they cut the deficit to a manageable level before the half and took over the game from there on out.

Key's best all round game. Wynn stepped up big 13 points on 60% shooting!!. Puckett was solid, Rickea had an off 19 pts and 7 boards. Powell settled down and was really good in 2nd half.

That was a really good road win under pressure because a loss would have been really problematic.

Go LVs!
A win is a win. I rarely get caught up in the margin of victory. Now, I was concerned with the poor play in the first half. It seems this team looks lost at times and then get behind.

But a dub is much better than a loss and I’ll take it every day of the week.

Again, so much negativity because only won by double digits but did not dominate from the opening tip (with the slow start being due to Kellie be the absolute coach in the world and the turn around being something that just inexplicably happened).

I attribute the bad first quarter (and a half) to all the travel disruptions.

I actually liked the LVs spreading the court and taking the open threes. But, when you start shooting 1 for 11, you are going to have some problems plus RJ missing a lot of shots that she typically makes. MissST actually hit some shots where the LVs played pretty defense. But they cut the deficit to a manageable level before the half and took over the game from there on out.

Key's best all round game. Wynn stepped up big 13 points on 60% shooting!!. Puckett was solid, Rickea had an off 19 pts and 7 boards. Powell settled down and was really good in 2nd half.

That was a really good road win under pressure because a loss would have been really problematic.

Go LVs!

I’d be willing to agree if we hadn’t started every game since December like this.

The starts are based on deficits in the combination of the starting lineup.
Karo, Puckett, and Rickea Jackson don’t play particularly well to their strengths with the three players on the court at the same time.
I think changing one player in the starting lineup would improve the start of games drastically and not have any negative affect on the bench production and might actually improve the rotation but it’s not likely to change.
The only way that lineup can be successful together to start games is to outscore their opponents night in and night out.
That doesn’t happen.
Yet, with all these comeback wins the LadyVols are one of the highest scoring teams in the conference.
Improve the start of games with some strategic decisions and the LadyVols become a formidable team.

Reactions: UT Challenger
I hope Justine goes 0 for 6, the player she guards goes for 20 and the Lady Vols win by 20.
A bit early & no Vandy game thread yet, but which LV will cover her on D? SP? Some other match ups probably more significant, but her height vs our guards will either be she shoots over them for 3's or we go low for TO's?

A bit early & no Vandy game thread yet, but which LV will cover her on D? SP? Some other match ups probably more significant, but her height vs our guards will either be she shoots over them for 3's or we go low for TO's?

After seeing how the team played against a former LV in Brooklynn Miles.. I’m a 100% certain they have known for a long time exactly how to match up with the player at Vandy.
I just wish they had schedule Cal as well for the non-conference.
Who’s next?
Lets GBO🍊.

Pierre has been really good last 3 games for Vandy. Hopefully Key/Hollingshead can keep her in check. Will be a big factor in the game. Powell/Spear/Wynn have to slow down Moore and UT will be good to go.

Pierre has been really good last 3 games for Vandy. Hopefully Key/Hollingshead can keep her in check. Will be a big factor in the game. Powell/Spear/Wynn have to slow down Moore and UT will be good to go.
Moore typically slows herself down if she misses early.

It’s hard to get a good beat on Vandy bc since conference play started they don’t have the same rhythm.

VN Store

Back