Game Thread Lady Vols at Texas A&M ; Sunday 5PM; ESPN

First, I am not ready to concede that missing the NCAA tournament is an inevitability for this team. The LVs are still 3-1 in conference and they still have every opportunity to get it done......Programs are what they are season by season; nothing more, nothing less. So, if this year's team can only make it to the NIT , then that is what they are. Refusing the bid would be a crybaby move based on a false sense of entitlement.

Go to the NIT tournament and see if you can win it. That challenge would be a good a reality check.

If you are too good to play in the NIT, then prove it now when it matters.
My goalpost stays put!

this is the same team that was #11 in the eyes of the nation in the pre-season poll
It is a team with a projected lottery pick in R Jackson
For it to accept a NIT-wit bid would be a travesty and a step backwards that would cost us our reputation, our fanbase and our treasured predecessor coach's legacy

NOMFW !
I proudly wear your "crybaby" yoke

First, I am not ready to concede that missing the NCAA tournament is an inevitability for this team. The LVs are still 3-1 in conference and they still have every opportunity to get it done.

An upset of LSU is actually not inconceivable (they did it last year and a team we just beat accomplished the task). And of course, they to need to just about run the table (except for SC). So, there is some work to be done.

Having said that, I can understand why the NIT topic is relevant.

At this point, unfortunately, the parallels between the LVs and the Dallas Cowboys are becoming evident, The Cowboy's owner, players, coaches, and fans all talk about "how the expectation is that we are going to win the Super Bowl". But the cowboys last SB was 1996 and they have very limited playoff success since.

What are those expectations actually based on other than self-delusion (and in the cowboys case a lot of marketing hype)? Expectations can be UNREALISTIC.

"Expecting" championships based on a fading legacy does not actually, shock of shock, accomplish anything. I suppose some LA Tech fans are too upholding the program by expecting a NC every year.

Better to recognize your current reality and accept the challenge of getting better step by step.

Programs are what they are season by season; nothing more, nothing less. So, if this year's team can only make it to the NIT , then that is what they are. Refusing the bid would be a crybaby move based on a false sense of entitlement.

Go to the NIT tournament and see if you can win it. That challenge would be a good a reality check.

If you are too good to play in the NIT, then prove it now when it matters.
Who’s our Jerry Jones? He’s been the only face of the program from then to now.

Who’s our Jerry Jones? He’s been the only face of the program from then to now.

Keep an eye out for the reporters!!!
My goalpost stays put!

this is the same team that was #11 in the eyes of the nation in the pre-season poll
It is a team with a projected lottery pick in R Jackson
For it to accept a NIT-wit bid would be a travesty and a step backwards that would cost us our reputation, our fanbase and our treasured predecessor coach's legacy

NOMFW !

Like I said, I consider this conversation to be an over reaction and a complete hypothetical. I am confident the LVs make the tournament.

But if they don't, missing the NCAA tournament for the first time ever is the thing that would damage the LVs reputation and deliver a massive blow to recruiting, requiring an immediate coaching change.

Whether or not the LVs play in the NIT is like worrying about deck chair arrangements on the Titanic.

Last edited:
We should be losing influence like Tara, I guess. Masssey has Stanford, 15-2, ranked 3rd nationally. We're 32.

Didn’t say she couldn’t coach. I think she’s one of the best to ever do it and one of my fav coaches. But you cannot deny she’s lost some talented kids the last couple years and they are not what they used to be.

They ran the PAC-12 for years. Now it’s a toss up, teams like Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Arizona and UCLA have really challenged them the last decade.

Like I said, I consider this conversation to be an over reaction and a complete hypothetical. I am confident the LVs make the tournament.

But if they don't, missing the NCAA tournament for the first time ever is the thing that would damage the LVs reputation and deliver a massive blow to recruiting, requiring an immediate coaching change.

Whether or not the LVs play in the NIT is like worrying about deck chair arrangements on the Titanic.
Would you mind not touching my chair,,,I plan on sunning this afternoon

First, I am not ready to concede that missing the NCAA tournament is an inevitability for this team.
I don't think it's inevitable at all. Probably more likely than not to get in. But it is a scary possibility. This team is still capable of the totally disappointing crappy play we saw Sunday, so can lose anytime to anyone. Seems like they've never been able to really put things together, even wins are a struggle. Hopefully that will happen because what else are we gonna do?
Cora, right on cue:

An upset of LSU is actually not inconceivable (they did it last year and a team we just beat accomplished the task)
Agree. If we have any chance at all for a significant win, this is the one.

I don't think it's inevitable at all. Probably more likely than not to get in. But it is a scary possibility. This team is still capable of the totally disappointing crappy play we saw Sunday, so can lose anytime to anyone. Seems like they've never been able to really put things together, even wins are a struggle. Hopefully that will happen because what else are we gonna do?
Cora, right on cue:

Agree. If we have any chance at all for a significant win, this is the one.

I always hate to get absolutist when it comes to sports because so many contingencies are in play. But, per Cora's article, this next three games against MissST (away), Vandy (home), Ole Miss (away) are probably make or break. If they sweep the set, they are back on track. If they drop all three, the season is just about toast and we could see a mid season coaching change. A 2-1 or 1-2 split leaves the team in limbo and spiraling downward.

We have gone from we just need Rickea back to we just need be Rickea to be the best player in WCBB every game to win (and don't mention FL St.!!!!)

I always hate to get absolutist when it comes to sports because so many contingencies are in play. But, per Cora's article, this next three games against MissST (away), Vandy (home), Ole Miss (away) are probably make or break. If they sweep the set, they are back on track. If they drop all three, the season is just about toast and we could see a mid season coaching change. A 2-1 or 1-2 split leaves the team in limbo and spiraling downward.

We have gone from we just need Rickea back to we just need be Rickea to be the best player in WCBB every game to win (and don't mention FL St.!!!!)
Yes Cora seems a little over the top here. Maybe we are over our skis off one crappy game. I get her concern though.

Hope those who say no reporter says tough things to or about the program are watching. Cora is on that KJH a*s.

Several have pointed out here that finishing fifth or sixth in the SEC is probably safe. They usually take that many teams. What a disappointment from where I thought this season might be right now. Silly me.

And about Fla St., I agree w what you said recently, that is SO the one that got away. The difference a missed 12 ft shot can make.

Yes Cora seems a little over the top here. Maybe we are over our skis off one crappy game. I get her concern though.

Hope those who say no reporter says tough things to or about the program are watching. Cora is on that KJH a*s.

Several have pointed out here that finishing fifth or sixth in the SEC is probably safe. They usually take that many teams. What a disappointment from where I thought this season might be right now. Silly me.

And about Fla St., I agree w what you said recently, that is SO the one that got away. The difference a missed 12 ft shot can make.
Have to believe we have 4 pretty guaranteed losses (SC 2, LSU 1, SECT) get one more added if those others come to fruition we are out. Stated earlier this week, media loves a good storyline and Tennessee not making the tournament helps promote early stories like this.

What recruiting, don’t think can be worse

Have to believe we have 4 pretty guaranteed losses (SC 2, LSU 1, SECT) get one more added if those others come to fruition we are out. Stated earlier this week, media loves a good storyline and Tennessee not making the tournament helps promote early stories like this.

It is good to have reporters that do not mind asking the tough questions that are probably on the minds of the fan base.

Reactions: Majors
Dawn should be on that list for sure but it does not change the point though. A team could hire Staley or Mulkey and probably have a quick TO (transfers would flock in both cases, which is the biggest factor in Mulkey's rapid path to a title with LSU).

Geno and Tara, though I am not sure if Tara's status and draw (given her 70+ age) would travel to another school. Similarly Geno has been dropping hints about retirement so...

The point is there is a very small set of coaches who have the capacity to pull off an instantaneous turn around.
I just wanted to not give Geno credit that’s all. lol Even with injuries though he still find ways to get W’s

The Notre Dame game as well. They had total control of that game until they collapsed.

I think Vandy, Miss St and Ole Miss are losses

Reactions: Tenacguy50
My goalpost stays put!

NOMFW !
Okay, I am making this post against my better judgment because I know the sheer, pointless futility of discussing boundary issues with you but we have been at this a long time so I will do it for ole times sake.

When I said refusing to play in the NIT would be a crybaby move that betrayed a false sense of entitlement I was referring exclusively to a hypothetical situation where Kellie, staff and players opted to not accept such a bid. They would be the ones displaying such an attitude (as I see it at least).

I was not referring to you.

Now, I know you posted that "you would never accept an NIT bid" and that post, along with others who raised such an option, is what prompted my consideration of the hypothetical choice.

But, as a fan posting on a message board, you have no say in the matter. You might as well say you refuse to accept the rising of the sun tomorrow. The sun does not care.

Similarly when LVOCD posted the "NOMFW" thread, he/she/they was referring to the LV players who needed to adopt that attitude.

This team is not on "your watch" in any consequential way.

And this boundary problem is why some posters get a wee bit irritated with you. You often post as though you are a special consultant to Kellie and staff and exert a direct influence on what the team does.

I know that is the role you want (and more power to you, we all need our dreams) but you are not in that role and so there is a boundary between your dream and the reality.

his team is not on "your watch" in any consequential way.

And this boundary problem is why some posters get a wee bit irritated with you.
That's not the boundary problem that bothers me. It's irritating, but lots of people run imaginary personas on message boards. I'm sure there's way more fake personas on this board than anyone imagines.

It's the real life boundary crossing that I can't get past.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
That's not the boundary problem that bothers me. It's irritating, but lots of people run imaginary personas on message boards. I'm sure there's way more fake personas on this board than anyone imagines.

It's the real life boundary crossing that I can't get past.
anyone with insider info will cross YOUR boundary @glv98
get over it

Last edited:

VN Store

Back