Game Thread Lady Vols at Texas A&M ; Sunday 5PM; ESPN

agree,,,she is not a power-player or a rebounder,,,but she is a legitimate 3 point sniper and that is how you use her
Tess stats: 24-76 31% (72 pts) 2-6 FT (2 pts) 8-14 2pt/fg (16 pts)
Justine: 27-77 35% (81 pts) 9-13 Ft (9 pts) 20-55 2pt/fg (40 pts)

So although Justine doesn't rebound her overall offensive game is much more versatile

Well, as highly as I think of Tess as a LVFL, I have to agree with the greater upside with Pissott.

Advantages to Justine include height, length, probable speed/quickness, and potential for growth. Justine is only a soph; Tess is a senior with possibility of using the Covid option.

Right now, I'd give the "heart" advantage to Tess.

One of Tess's greatest strengths has been her court IQ, but it seems that she is pressing too much this season with unforced errors, costly mistakes (the unjustified technical which provided the winning margin in a loss), bad defensive spacing leaving perimeter shooters open, etc. I was disappointed to see her take the bait when she was on the ball with the stationery ball handler and took her eyes off her player to either follow a pass fake or just check out the rest of the offense. At any rate, her player just easily spun around her and took it in for an uncontested layup. Tess is too smart and too experienced to allow that to happen.

Not that this is a probability, but the hypothetical prospect of an NIT bid seems to bring out contradictory thoughts.

We're told that we should schedule easier teams OOC in order to build team chemistry, experience, and confidence.

Yet we're also told that "there's nothing to gain, even if we win" by playing in the NIT.

Why is gaining confidence, chemistry, game experience, and success important in the preseason/early season but not the postseason? Even the extra practice time can be valuable.

It is arrogant, not to mention lacking self-awareness, to turn down opportunities to compete simply because of a program's past legacy. After all, the team has already been rejected from the major tournament. Pride has already taken a big hit at that point, so pretending that you're "upholding the legacy" by declining comes across as farcical and, frankly, a little cowardly. The smaller postseason tourneys offer a chance at a little redemption and more importantly shows a hunger to get better, even if that means swallowing pride, eating humble pie, and competing.

Because that's what competitors do.
If the NIT come calling give it a shot but what after that. It is not that this is potentially a bad year, you have to look at the overall process of the team and what are your goals. If you are a storied D1 program, with a dedicated fan base, the goal should be to move upward and not backward. Presently the program has recruiting issues, coaching issues and we are tumbling down the ranking chart. The bleeding has to stop somewhere, especially when you have a coach who has an extended contract valued at around 1.1 million dollars annually, not counting her husband’s salary. Have a bad year play in the NIT but when your program is headed South on a Lear jet it is time to change direction and quit throwing money to support a sinking ship.

Well, as highly as I think of Tess as a LVFL, I have to agree with the greater upside with Pissott.

Advantages to Justine include height, length, probable speed/quickness, and potential for growth. Justine is only a soph; Tess is a senior with possibility of using the Covid option.

Right now, I'd give the "heart" advantage to Tess.

One of Tess's greatest strengths has been her court IQ, but it seems that she is pressing too much this season with unforced errors, costly mistakes (the unjustified technical which provided the winning margin in a loss), bad defensive spacing leaving perimeter shooters open, etc. I was disappointed to see her take the bait when she was on the ball with the stationery ball handler and took her eyes off her player to either follow a pass fake or just check out the rest of the offense. At any rate, her player just easily spun around her and took it in for an uncontested layup. Tess is too smart and too experienced to allow that to happen.
Tess biggest problem is foot speed and the inability to be a shot creator like many 3 point shooters. I also feel that KJH should run more pick plays which would clear more space for Tess to shoot the three. All she needs is a little spacing. On defense against top D1 talent she is a liability. I will give her credit, she has heart.

I just hope D white has got his black book and list out and making progress with really good candidates because it will have to happen sooner than later.

Reactions: UT Challenger
Puke, never.
I won't debate this attitude, but if you want to go where the great teams are, you have to clear your head of biases and just look at the best coaches available no matter where they come from. Ralph has coached some of the best guards in the WNBA. She's not coming here anyway but watch out for Vandy if you don't get somebody fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
Year 5. Team we lost to last night won 9 games last season, that’s progress and moving forward.

As the current leader of "The Occupy Wall Street Movement" you should check your facts. Otherwise people want take your rants serious.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I won't debate this attitude, but if you want to go where the great teams are, you have to clear your head of biases and just look at the best coaches available no matter where they come from. Ralph has coached some of the best guards in the WNBA. She's not coming here anyway but watch out for Vandy if you don't get somebody fast.

Save it for someone else and see your way out of this discussion. Thanks.

As the current leader of "The Occupy Wall Street Movement" you should check your facts. Otherwise people want take your rants serious.

Which part of Texas AM winning 9 games last year do I need to check? 9–20 (2–14 SEC). Recruiting portal players is a different conversation. But nice attempt at stepping up. Felt like Key stuffing Kentucky.

1705360640092.gif

Edie did travel with the team, but was not dressed for the game. I did hear as well that she was possibly sick and that some other of the players may me as well. Not sure how true this is or what other players were affected by it. Still not an excuse for the way we played.
Sickness would explain to me why Kellie sat Rickea. I couldn't see punishing her, when she was still second in scoring, even when not playing as well.

Sickness would explain to me why Kellie sat Rickea. I couldn't see punishing her, when she was still second in scoring, even when not playing as well.
If that was the case she might of mentioned it to soften the blow. Instead she stated she missed shots she normally makes. Kellie stated RJ is human and teams/fans surprised when she has an off night. Almost saying everyone expects too much from her, even coaches.

Reactions: Deebowbear
I don’t want her,but it would be same thing with her and her husband duo we don’t need any of that

I think she sat her just to see if we could get something else going. We were just turning the ball over trying to get it to her or she was missing. Unfortunately nobody else stepped up.

This was made very clear when Rickea was out earlier this season. Karo was the only player who stepped up during that time but she is just physically outmatched in the SEC.

This team will go as Rickea goes all season long.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Not that this is a probability, but the hypothetical prospect of an NIT bid seems to bring out contradictory thoughts.

We're told that we should schedule easier teams OOC in order to build team chemistry, experience, and confidence.

Yet we're also told that "there's nothing to gain, even if we win" by playing in the NIT.

Why is gaining confidence, chemistry, game experience, and success important in the preseason/early season but not the postseason? Even the extra practice time can be valuable.

It is arrogant, not to mention lacking self-awareness, to turn down opportunities to compete simply because of a program's past legacy. After all, the team has already been rejected from the major tournament. Pride has already taken a big hit at that point, so pretending that you're "upholding the legacy" by declining comes across as farcical and, frankly, a little cowardly. The smaller postseason tourneys offer a chance at a little redemption and more importantly shows a hunger to get better, even if that means swallowing pride, eating humble pie, and competing.

Because that's what competitors do.
Lets move the goalpost so the little kiddies can all have a trophy?
That mentality kills soccer and it will kill basketball here.
If we play NIT in my lifetime...I will declare war on whoever accepts the invitation

The Kellie watch has began to me....Unless Kellie can find "it" and get her girls to play like champions, and save this season, this feels like her last season here...
1*LDkPNZy5qQRehNvHpCyBIQ.jpeg

Reactions: Deebowbear
JR would not be a good fit for UT imo. Her MO is taking a program that is a total loss and rebuilding over 5 seasons. She’s done it a few places now. I don’t think our admin or fan base would be patient enough for her to build the program the way she traditionally does.
Whaaaat, CKJH is in year 5, and I have been told by SOME on VN she deserves another year or 2 because of how bad the program was when she took over…

Lets move the goalpost so the little kiddies can all have a trophy?
That mentality kills soccer and it will kill basketball here.
If we play NIT in my lifetime...I will declare war on whoever accepts the invitation
Media would love it too. Tennessee declining would get negative attention and air play. As well as other teams fans ire of being too good but not good enough anymore.

I’m siding on the committee may punt Tennessee to create a storyline of history being made.

The Kellie watch has began to me....Unless Kellie can find "it" and get her girls to play like champions, and save this season, this feels like her last season here...
1*LDkPNZy5qQRehNvHpCyBIQ.jpeg
not quite there yet, but don't make the NCAA and accept a WNIT and
1705362336024.png

Whaaaat, CKJH is in year 5, and I have been told by SOME on VN she deserves another year or 2 because of how bad the program was when she took over…

Yes I’ve seen those posts and vehemently disagree lol. 3-5 years max for a total rebuild. I would never call the Lady Vol job a total rebuild.

When you inherit that much history, such nice facilities, a supportive athletics department and fan base you should be able to get it done quickly. Plus having the WBB HOF in your back yard.

Kim is Kim but YEAR TWO y’all. She didn’t sit around and make excuses. She just got to work. LSU was a dumpster fire when she took over and they won a natty in YEAR TWO.

And like I mentioned I don’t think this would be the right job for JR. I’m a Colorado fan as well (live in a Colorado) and she is a great fit there. She has a loaded veteran roster this season but they won’t be near as tough next year. Hiring her after one really good season would be a lot like when we hired Kellie after one really good season…

Which part of Texas AM winning 9 games last year do I need to check? 9–20 (2–14 SEC). Recruiting portal players is a different conversation. But nice attempt at stepping up. Felt like Key stuffing Kentucky.

View attachment 610554
The part where you say "the team" we lost to last night, won 9 games last year. I guess, when you say team you mean Texas A@M in a generic sense and not what you clearly implied the 22/23 Texas A@M team that won 9 games last year. Trust me words have meaning.

That sir, is about as disingenuous as your rhetoric. The team we lost to last night has four great players from the portal. Enlighten me please how giving your team (from last year) a complete makeover from the portal translates to the "team we lost to last night" won only 9 games last year.

Your failure to even attempt to clarify your mischaracterization of the term team should clue you in on your flawed logic.

Last edited:
Yes I’ve seen those posts and vehemently disagree lol. 3-5 years max for a total rebuild. I would never call the Lady Vol job a total rebuild.

When you inherit that much history, such nice facilities, a supportive athletics department and fan base you should be able to get it done quickly. Plus having the WBB HOF in your back yard.

Kim is Kim but YEAR TWO y’all. She didn’t sit around and make excuses. She just got to work. LSU was a dumpster fire when she took over and they won a natty in YEAR TWO.

And like I mentioned I don’t think this would be the right job for JR. I’m a Colorado fan as well (live in a Colorado) and she is a great fit there. She has a loaded veteran roster this season but they won’t be near as tough next year. Hiring her after one really good season would be a lot like when we hired Kellie after one really good season…
Or in LSU case 2. Now LSU administration went all in on a Coach and it paid off with a quick fix to a title.

The part where you say "the team" we lost to last night, won 9 games last year. I guess, when you say team you mean Texas A@M in a generic sense and not what you clearly implied the 22/23 Texas A@M team that won 9 games last year. Trust me words have meaning.

That sir, is about as disingenuous as your rhetoric. The team we lost to last night has four great players from the portal. Enlighten me please how giving your team (from last year) a complete makeover from the portal translates to the "team we lost to last night" won only 9 games last year.

Your failure to even attempt to clarify your mischaracterzation of the term team should clue you in on your flawed logic.
Yes, Texas AM won 9 games. That’s the entire meaning. Seems your issue is
with Kellies recruiting, you’re not alone.

Some here say our portal was pretty great. So we lost on the court to a team who won 9 games last year and our portal recruiting wasn’t good enough for you. Words matter and have meaning.

No mischaracterization on my end in my original stance. My rhetoric is Kellie and this staff is in over their head. Guess this graphic stings a bit seeing Tennessee 2 spots down.

1705364210472.png

Last edited:

VN Store

Back