Game thread: NCAA Second Round: No. 6 Seed Lady Vols vs. No. 3 Seed NC State

Not saying excuse but still wonder just like cedes wasn’t it something wrong with her foot

It was never a secret Mercedes had a foot problem. Everyone knew that when she was an incoming freshman.

The secretive injury stuff only started in the last few seasons here.

To me it isn’t an excuse, but feels like one to bring it up now. The only reason she’s telling us now is to soften the blow of the end of their season. Otherwise we’d have known all season.

Explains why she couldn’t attack the rim anymore though. Used to be a big part of her game and she almost completely stopped this season. I thought at one point she had a back injury but now I’m not sure.

In any case. Thanks to Powell for sticking it out or it could have been an even bigger mess.

Makes Wynn not playing more this season very questionable though. I thought Wynn brought good energy almost every time she was on the court this season. She only had one really bad game I can recall. Coaches don’t seem to like what she brings which probably means she’s pretty dang good.

Cal wasn’t great this season but Suarez ended up being their #2 scorer and #1 rebounder. Could have used her.

Rae Burrell, Jordon Houston, Rennia Davis, Kasi K, Tamari Key prior to medical setback, Karo Striplin. Are you kidding me? They have all improved season over season. Three of the mentioned were 1st round WNBA draft picks. Kasi who originally looked to have no upside is still playing pro overseas. Rae Burrell was ranked 47 coming into college looked like a bull in a China shop under Holly and hardly saw the floor as a freshman was picked 9th in the draft. How quickly people forget or you just don't really follow this program closely.
So, all Holly recruited players outside of Striplin who had 0 points today.

We need a coach that can make IN-GAME adjustments at an ELITE level. A coach that can make adjustments before the damage is done. Getting down big vs ranked teams has been an issue for Kellie her entire career at TN.

Game slippage in general is a major issue for her.
Then you need to hire a good men's coach because I have seen nothing that impresses me with coaches in the female game.

Even more of an accomplishment for Kellie then. Holly was an absolute destroyer of players.

I'll fight to the death anyone who tries to downplay the amazing job Kellie did reclaiming those players, esp Rennia and Jordy.
Meh, not really because those players typically go elsewhere. She was gifted talented kids. Pissott is her recruiting start.

Reactions: Voluble2
Two plays typified this game, one early, one late. First was tip off where Jewel fell asleep. Last one was when Rivers stuffed Tess. That about says it all. We had by far the best player, but they had more good ones

It's not about coaching, it's about players. Harper is a decent enough coach, she's just not a good recruiter. It's also not new, we've said this all year. Our margin for error was razor thin all year and when Jewel and Sara both have bad games, we have almost no chance. And both had the worst games they've had in a long time today. And when Tess contributes, esp against elite competition, it's a bonus. Didn't happen today.

Poor JP, we knew she was bumping against her ceiling with the heavy load she had to carry. She is not selfish or stupid or a ball hog. She's a good but not great pg who looks bad when her options are taken away. And she's a wonderful kid.

None of what happened today or before has the slightest bit to do with "not deciding to play" "not holding accountable", etc. That's stupid stuff fans say. It has to do with simply not having enough elite players. We have/had(hate typing that) exactly ONE. And she is/was so very elite she was almost able to carry the whole team on her back today, and many other days.

What an absolute pleasure to get to watch Rickea play these last two years. She's special, one of the best we've had in the last 20 years, and unfortunately, probably the best we will have in the foreseeable future. So glad to see her go out in an absolute blaze of glory today, sort of bookending her awesome game at Florida St early this season.

I do give the players, and coaches, credit for never quitting, and always fighting like hell. Just wish they hadn't had to do that so often.

This season does feel like a step back and next season feels like the edge of the cliff. KJH will be back, unless she resigns, but without a huge portal haul, it's going to be rougher than rough. She just has to find a way to get 2 or 3 more truly elite players, and that's a very tall task. Whether it's NIL or what, she has to get it worked out. We'll see.
Agreed. Perhaps she makes a staff adjustment as well. I would look for an extension with a nominal raise and no increase in buyout. We were danger close to missing the tournament and got a favorable seed.. Its going to take some roster adjustments or it's going to be a struggle. I hope she figures it out.

Two plays typified this game, one early, one late. First was tip off where Jewel fell asleep. Last one was when Rivers stuffed Tess. That about says it all.

It's not about coaching, it's about players. Harper is a decent enough coach, she's just not a good recruiter. It's also not new, we've said this all year. Our margin for error was razor thin all year and when Jewel and Sara both have bad games, we have almost no chance. And both had the worst games they've had in a long time today. And when Tess contributes, esp against elite competition, it's a bonus. Didn't happen today.

Poor JP, we knew she was against bumping against her ceiling with the heavy load she had to carry. She is not selfish or stupid or a ball hog. She's a good but not great pg who looks bad when her options are taken away.

None of what happened today or before has the slightest bit to do with "not deciding to play" "not holding accountable", etc. That's stupid stuff fans say. It has to do with simply not having enough elite players. We have/had(hate typing that) exactly ONE. And she is/was so very elite she was almost able to carry the whole team on her back today, and many other days.

What an absolute pleasure to get to watch Rickea play these last two years. She's special, one of the best we've had in the last 20 years, and unfortunately, probably the best we will have in the foreseeable future. So glad to see her go out in an absolute blaze of glory today, sort of bookending her awesome game at Florida St early this season.

This season does feel like a step back and next season feels like the edge of the cliff. KJH will be back, unless she resigns, but without a huge portal haul, it's going to be rougher than rough. She just has to find a way to get 2 or 3 more truly elite players, and that's a very tall task. Whether it's NIL or what, she has to get it worked out. We'll see.
I agree with your assessment completely. The talent differential is the main culprit in these losses to good teams the past two years.
I also would add that while almost teams have a relatively bad quarter in some of their big games, we seem to have a quarter against ranked teams in which both our offense and defense completely disappear. This tends to gets us down before you know it by 15 to 20 points. Many of our games this year were clearly lost in one quarter. Often, we often outplay the teams in some of the other quarters. The teams that have really valued defense as much as offense can often survive the quarter with poor offense as they continue to play good defense. This team has gotten much better on defense during the year, but if often just gets turned on once things get desperate. The addition of Boyd and Carter next year hopefully changes the team's identity to one that values defense first and foremost.

The narrative that we have poor player development is a laughable one and mostly mentioned by people who never comment on the board except after losses. I guess they missed the wonderful development of the players for 4 consecutive years who were or will be first round WNBA draft picks. I guess they also missed the tremendous turnaround of Puckett and Powell this year compared to last. Those players will never be all stars, but Kellie has gotten more out of them than expected.

I do subscribe to the narrative that the LVs and Kellie are at a vulnerable juncture right now. It will be a near miracle to get someone nearly as good as Rickea in the portal. Our prospects of getting a few very good but not great players aren't high given that we aren't in an upward trajectory anymore. That is one reason why this loss today and the one against SC stung so much. A win of either of those games could have been emphasized as evidence that the team is not on a downward trajectory.

So, this next several months are critical to the future of the Harper regime. Do we keep all our returning players, get better transfers than I anticipate, and does Kellie start adding some prime 2025 recruits to the one we have already gotten a verbal comment? And of course, how do we do next season? I do think we will have clarity at this time next year what the future will hold in terms of Kellie. I hope she pulls something out of her hat or gets more help than she has had with NIL money! If not, this team does not look talented enough to be a Sweet 16 team in the near future, much less anything more.

Last edited:
I was a little worried when Rickea got hot & became the offense early. Unless she scored 40, it seems that the effect it tended to have whenever that happened throughout the season was for everyone else to stand and watch, especially if it happened early in the game. Even worse, it seemed to affect our defense, too. Just sapped all our energy. We always played our best when Rickea was scoring and fishing out assists.

Frustrating season, but lots of good moments, too. Love our players and hope they'll be proud of their time wearing the orange and white.

Interesting post game note... NC State fans were saying Kellie should have known better than to come in their arena and spite them by wearing light blue uni's instead of orange. It was said the team didn't like it either and it put fire in them early in the game. I didn't have a problem with it as it's Summitt Blue and showed some moxie, but, man, those Stater's hate UNC and anything light blue. Sort of like me and crimson...

We are going to the NC St v Vols football game in the fall... Nico, we need some payback for the Lady's... and maybe I'll wear light blue
In hindsight, stupid.

I think if a few elite players enter the portal we will get someone, we have open spots for players like that. Most of the top teams have elite players already, so they might come here so they can shine.
I wish I could be that optimistic. But I'm afraid I agree with this more:
It will be a near miracle to get someone nearly as good as Rickea in the portal. Our prospects of getting a few very good but not great players aren't high given that we aren't in an upward trajectory anymore. That is one reason why this loss today and the one against SC stung so much. A win of either of those games could have been emphasized as evidence that the team is not on a downward trajectory.
Yep, yep, yep. Sadly.

Nice comeback that just fell short. Still questions about substitutions and knowing when to pull someone who's not performing and not contributing. Did see some growth from Kellie the last few games.

Now time to go out and find a big, a point, and a pure scorer.

I wish I could be that optimistic. But I'm afraid I agree with this more:

Yep, yep, yep. Sadly.
They don’t have to be on her level, maybe a notch below but if we get 2 of them that’s would be good enough for us to compete. I have a wait and see approach, I’ll hold on to this last bit of faith I have and hope for the best.

@Deebowbear I heard a rumor today from an inside source that Kelly will be extended 🤷‍♂️ if true or not but this guy has been reliable in the past.

Extended? You mean more years added to her contract? If so, then we know for sure White is just not concerned about the Lady Vols getting back to the top.

How okd are you? These girls work their tails off to play for our school and losers like you sit anonymously behind your keyboard making idiotic posts.
No mote critiques of athletes then. Even in these days of NIL - they are beyond any hint of intraspect.

"Girls". lol

No mote critiques of athletes then. Even in these days of NIL - they are beyond any hint of intraspect.

"Girls". lol

I don’t have a problem if you want to criticize a player for poor effort, for bad shots, for bad passes etc. But your post said “so you are asking Puckett not to be a stiff. Tough task”. That’s a bit different than criticizing a player.

And you got me good with the Girls lol post.

VN Store

Back