Game thread: NCAA Second Round: No. 6 Seed Lady Vols vs. No. 3 Seed NC State

I blame the loss on the fans who predicted a blowout, plus stated State couldn't shoot or wouldn't score 70 points.

They jinxed the team.

Reactions: Will83
We are now In the category of the has beens like Old Dominion and LA Tech

Old Dominion? Old Dominion, the program that hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 16 years? Or Louisiana Tech, the program that hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 13 years?

We're like them now? Tennessee is like them now?

Hmm. Ok. Sure. That make sense.

So, all Holly recruited players outside of Striplin who had 0 points today.
You might want to reread the question that the answer was given to rather than comment into a post without addressing the original posters question.

You might want to reread the question that the answer was given to rather than comment into a post without addressing the original posters question.
Great, all players recruited by Holly…except Striplin who had 0 points.

I don’t think we are very attractive to top portal players this season. They all watched the same season we did. We didn’t look very well coached, engaged or like we were having fun a lot of the season.

We lost in the second round, didn’t host and barely eclipsed 20 wins. Not exactly a program I’d be dying to dive into if I want to win.

The ONLY thing we have going for us is that we have developed a top WNBA pick several seasons in a row. So I could see someone coming who has W dreams but needs that extra push. Players who already have it like Jackson? I’m not sure they’ll be picking up the phone for Kellie this off season.
On the flip side about 325 other teams didn't host either.

Rennia was already a problem before Kellie got here. Jordan had a personal shooting and workout coach working with her on her game. Kasi couldn’t get any burn and was relegated to the bench and didn’t really see significant time. Karo, really? That gir has been getting cooked by anybody thats not a short white girl.
Most D1 players have personal shooting coaches and workout coaches especially players from the University of Tennessee. That's normal since the beginning of time. Are you new to this?

That’s your speculation.
There's about 7 years worth of speculation. The only one who's been truly successful out of those 7 years is Mercedes Russell. She was drafted as a project piece because she wasn't developed at Tennessee. A former number one player at that. Then you have Diamond, who decided it wasn't worth staying that last year in that toxic environment, who by the way was not getting better, rather, she was going in the opposite direction at Tennessee. Then you have Jamie nard, everyone's sweetheart who just didn't get there after being a 5th ranked all American coming in.

I don’t have a problem if you want to criticize a player for poor effort, for bad shots, for bad passes etc. But your post said “so you are asking Puckett not to be a stiff. Tough task”. That’s a bit different than criticizing a player.

And you got me good with the Girls lol post.
So now they're players - instead of, your words, girls.

And if you let a characterization like "stiff" upset your sensibilities, then maybe forums like these aren't your baliwick. And Puckett is being paid, btw. And you're paying to watch...

There's about 7 years worth of speculation. The only one who's been truly successful out of those 7 years is Mercedes Russell. She was drafted as a project piece because she wasn't developed at Tennessee. A former number one player at that. Then you have Diamond, who decided it wasn't worth staying that last year in that toxic environment, who by the way was not getting better, rather, she was going in the opposite direction at Tennessee. Then you have Jamie nard, everyone's sweetheart who just didn't get there after being a 5th ranked all American coming in.
Same Diamond who got drafted 3rd overall after playing two years and sitting out one after transfer. How much better was the ceiling? #1 or #2

Old Dominion? Old Dominion, the program that hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 16 years? Or Louisiana Tech, the program that hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 13 years?

We're like them now? Tennessee is like them now?

Hmm. Ok. Sure. That make sense.
Totally agree and as it has been said before, those teams fell into the abyss bc they are mid major schools, apples and oranges to UT.

We are, tho, like the West Virginia, Ole Miss, Oklahomas of the current time. Not top tier. Next tier some days, flirt with top tier some days, but right now not a top tier program, which hurts, but could also change quickly. The deficit is in recruiting...is that the coach "not closing," poor NIL, a whopping dose of bad luck...likely a mixture but until it changes, this is likely where we will be.

But, I still love the Lady Vols... spent another season overly emotionally invested in a group that I realistically have zero ties to, and am darn grateful for Rickea especially, but all of the team and staff. Notions that they don't care or don't work are absolutely insane to me...they all work their butts off and if I didn't enjoy watching them, I wouldn't watch them and certainly wouldn't claim them as "my team." Lady Vol bball fan for life over here.

Same Diamond who got drafted 3rd overall after playing two years and sitting out one after transfer. How much better was the ceiling? #1 or #2
Diamond left the country to play overseas and then came back and was drafted. I think her quote was she wanted to improve her game

Reactions: VolFuture
All this hand wringing. Girls, those Lady Vols weren't winning the national championship anyway, and like Ricky Bobby said, 'If you ain't first, you're last'. Everybody but one goes home a loser at some point. Might as well be today rather than tomorrow. That is probably an issue with women's sports at this stage. It's very, very unlikely that one of the top 3, 4 or maybe 5 doesn't win the championship every year. Hopefully, real parity will arise someday, but being a low to negative revenue generating sport, it may take awhile.

Ok, in the transcript of Kellie’s after game interview, a reporter asked what she thought about bad or missed calls by the refs in the SC game, and tonight’s game, that possibly effected the outcome of the game. He said that in the replay of today’s call, that the ball was already in play, and had bounced, before the timeout was called.

Did this nullify a steal by us? Anyone remember? Sounds like we got screwed in both games.

Ok, in the transcript of Kellie’s after game interview, a reporter asked what she thought about bad or missed calls by the refs in the SC game, and tonight’s game, that possibly effected the outcome of the game. He said that in the replay of today’s call, that the ball was already in play, and had bounced, before the timeout was called.

Did this nullify a steal by us? Anyone remember? Sounds like we got screwed in both games.
Yes. Replay showed it, commentators said it. Ball was in play.

In 30+ yrs, I’ve never seen one team get screwed as much as this one did on bad crucial calls this yr.

Cue the gravedancers to say it shouldn’t come to one call, etc. Interpret it how you will. But the fact remains and is valid

Yes. Replay showed it, commentators said it. Ball was in play.

In 30+ yrs, I’ve never seen one team get screwed as much as this one did on bad crucial calls this yr.

Cue the gravedancers to say it shouldn’t come to one call, etc. Interpret it how you will. But the fact remains and is valid
That’s what I couldn’t handle… every time we got momentum 😿

They also wouldn’t give Kellie a timeout twice during that 2nd quarter

VN Store

Back