Gaston Moore ?

I agree the WR's were more of a problem than Joe but that doesn't fit the narrative of "play Nico". And why do all of these threads progress to blaming Milton?? It is getting old.
I have never seen a player be so polarizing as Joe. Not only the posters on here who turn it into a Joe problem but my FB feed gets filled up with people slamming on Joe.

I agree it gets old and people need to accept he is the starter and if they do not like it they need to not watch.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We saw him in the O&W spring game and he managed the offense quite well.,
I agree. I have said this numerous times this season. Joe Milton did not look great in the O/W game. I think it was foreboding and indicative of his play the first half of the season. I thought Gaston Moore looked the best of all the QB's. How good do we know he really is???? 3rd string in our pecking order was political. Joe was all world news clips " throw the ball to the moon" going into the season and Nico was rated #1 player in the country on a few recruiting sites.
Gaston Moore's play reminded me of Missouri's and Oklahoma QB's this season. Total gamers that improvise on each play...

Also, if you go back and watch the OW game. Gaston Moore played the 1st quarter. His performance was not just against only 3rd string and younger players.

I hope we get him back.

I'd heard just the opposite about the Heupel system but that it depends on both qb and wr being able to read the defense and be on the same page. Both require quick decisions which Joe wasn't so great with.
From what I have gathered there are two defensive players the QB reads. Based on the call there is a predominant side of the field, and those receivers have specific routes to run. If the QB makes the right read either our RB gashes the middle of the defense, or a receiver on the predominant side of the field has one-on-one coverage. If a pass is the correct option based on the pre-snap read, the QB has to spot the one-on-one coverage within the 3 seconds he has to throw the ball. Hooker was extremely good at this, but Milton not so much. Hooker was also quick-witted enough to make the right choice to run if something broke down.

I'd heard just the opposite about the Heupel system but that it depends on both qb and wr being able to read the defense and be on the same page. Both require quick decisions which Joe wasn't so great with.
Quick reads, quick release (with nice touch), or quick decision to take off and run. Joe had none of these unless the play had broken coverage for a bomb downfield, or it was a quick WR screen.

I guess if Moore leaves, that would make Shuler the back up.

I don't think Merklinger could be backup until very late in the season.

I wish we wouldn’t have kicked Kaidon Salter out of school for smoking weed. It’s ridiculous. He was going through a rough time with his dad in the hospital with Covid, and I feel that we should’ve been a little bit more understanding. He would kill it in Heupel’s offense, and I wish there was some way we could get him back. I think he would’ve been better in this offense than Milton was.

I wish we wouldn’t have kicked Kaidon Salter out of school for smoking weed. It’s ridiculous. He was going through a rough time with his dad in the hospital with Covid, and I feel that we should’ve been a little bit more understanding. He would kill it in Heupel’s offense, and I wish there was some way we could get him back. I think he would’ve been better in this offense than Milton was.
He wasn't kicked out for smoking weed. Come on.

He wasn't kicked out for smoking weed. Come on.
Well, he was a true freshman with his father in the hospital, and maybe we should’ve been a little more understanding of whatever mistakes that he made. I was just going off of this.

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpeg
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 10
Good point. The Bama game last year showed teams what happens when you cheat a safety up or to one side. Most teams kept both safeties back this year taking the middle away. Our running game benefited from it. Hard to fault Joe when theirs really nothing there in the middle. He got picked 3 times this year trying to force the ball to the middle. We didn’t have the separation this year from our WR’s to present much of a deep threat hence a lot of bubble screens. I personally think our WR’s was more of a problem than Joe.
What I remember from the past season, is #1) Joe throwing the ball like a rocket on short passes that NFL receivers would have trouble catching #2 Missing receivers going down field, usually over their heads. Not saying every miss was his fault, but more times it seemed like it was .

I guess if Moore leaves, that would make Shuler the back up.

I don't think Merklinger could be backup until very late in the season.
I think the scariest part of only having three QB’s on the roster would be to have two injuries then where does that leave us. The more I have thought about it I think it is imperative that if Moore leaves we go after someone in the portal.

Reactions: orangemadam
I agree. I have said this numerous times this season. Joe Milton did not look great in the O/W game. I think it was foreboding and indicative of his play the first half of the season. I thought Gaston Moore looked the best of all the QB's. How good do we know he really is???? 3rd string in our pecking order was political. Joe was all world news clips " throw the ball to the moon" going into the season and Nico was rated #1 player in the country on a few recruiting sites.
Gaston Moore's play reminded me of Missouri's and Oklahoma QB's this season. Total gamers that improvise on each play...

Also, if you go back and watch the OW game. Gaston Moore played the 1st quarter. His performance was not just against only 3rd string and younger players.

I hope we get him back.
It’s the Orange and White Game, where Kurston Biggers and Burney Veazy look like All SEC talent.

Well, he was a true freshman with his father in the hospital, and maybe we should’ve been a little more understanding of whatever mistakes that he made. I was just going off of t

He was involved in a dorm invasion and altercation and robbery that eventually went away but put him in a short leash and immediately raised questions about judgement and risk. Just ugly all the way around. Not the kind of thing most "young and dumb" college students are doing.

All we've seen of Gaston Moore is some meaningless snaps against 2-3 string defenses. We don't know how he could or if he could handle the load against some good defenses.
I betcha Josh Heupel has seen more and has a good idea of how well Gaston Moore would do against SEC defenses.

But, ABSOLUTELY, it's so so so so very important that the coach put every single possible player in against SEC talent so we can see how they do. /sarcasm

From what I have gathered there are two defensive players the QB reads. Based on the call there is a predominant side of the field, and those receivers have specific routes to run. If the QB makes the right read either our RB gashes the middle of the defense, or a receiver on the predominant side of the field has one-on-one coverage. If a pass is the correct option based on the pre-snap read, the QB has to spot the one-on-one coverage within the 3 seconds he has to throw the ball. Hooker was extremely good at this, but Milton not so much. Hooker was also quick-witted enough to make the right choice to run if something broke down.
Your last sentence says it all. Hooker could process and make decisions quickly, when the run was there on a broken play he seen it fast. To quarterback in the sec st the top level you need to have great instincts and be able to process things fast. Without them gifts one is going to struggle against top defenses. GBO

Your last sentence says it all. Hooker could process and make decisions quickly, when the run was there on a broken play he seen it fast. To quarterback in the sec st the top level you need to have great instincts and be able to process things fast. Without them gifts one is going to struggle against top defenses. GBO

I thank you and @ftsandersvol for distinguishing between processing speed and intelligence. Milton has taken a great deal of unfair criticism from posters who don't understand the difference.

VN Store

Back