Gaston Moore ?

Good point. The Bama game last year showed teams what happens when you cheat a safety up or to one side. Most teams kept both safeties back this year taking the middle away. Our running game benefited from it. Hard to fault Joe when theirs really nothing there in the middle. He got picked 3 times this year trying to force the ball to the middle. We didn’t have the separation this year from our WR’s to present much of a deep threat hence a lot of bubble screens. I personally think our WR’s was more of a problem than Joe.
Why most “knowledgeable” people can’t recognize the differences teams used defending Vols in ‘23 vs ‘22 is beyond me. Teams decided real early they were not going to get beat deep anymore. The intermediate passing game wasn’t consistent enough to make them pay.

Reactions: Vol737
I wish we wouldn’t have kicked Kaidon Salter out of school for smoking weed. It’s ridiculous. He was going through a rough time with his dad in the hospital with Covid, and I feel that we should’ve been a little bit more understanding. He would kill it in Heupel’s offense, and I wish there was some way we could get him back. I think he would’ve been better in this offense than Milton was.
I agree he would have been much better than Milton, but would we have got Nico, if he had stayed?

Good point. The Bama game last year showed teams what happens when you cheat a safety up or to one side. Most teams kept both safeties back this year taking the middle away. Our running game benefited from it. Hard to fault Joe when theirs really nothing there in the middle. He got picked 3 times this year trying to force the ball to the middle. We didn’t have the separation this year from our WR’s to present much of a deep threat hence a lot of bubble screens. I personally think our WR’s was more of a problem than Joe.
Joe's biggest fault was he didn't commit to running it when it was wide open. If team's have adjusted to the passing game, then the QB run game should be there.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
All we've seen of Gaston Moore is some meaningless snaps against 2-3 string defenses. We don't know how he could or if he could handle the load against some good defenses.
Honestly, the great value Gaston brings to the program doesn't have much at all to do with time on the field during games.

He knows this offense as well as any player in uniform. That helps a LOT on the practice field, in the QB room watching tape, and, actually, everywhere the lads gather together.

I'm really hoping he becomes a GA for Heupel once he hangs up his cleats.

Go Vols!

Joe's biggest fault was he didn't commit to running it when it was wide open. If team's have adjusted to the passing game, then the QB run game should be there.
Whatever Joe Milton's faults were (and I think his decision making was too slow for the next level,) none of us were invited to the NFL combine.

You've got to give the man his props.

AP made a comment, “Give Hendon the WRs Joe had & a new OC, and I’m not sure we would see the Hendon Hooker we saw in ‘23”

Teams defended Tennessee much different in ‘23. Offense has to become more consistent, less penalties, less drops, less missed passes.

Well, he was a true freshman with his father in the hospital, and maybe we should’ve been a little more understanding of whatever mistakes that he made. I was just going off of this.
It was at least his second arrest and at least his third bone headed incident. Heupel couldn’t keep him and retain any credibility. Plus, it would have been bad for Salter to keep being shown that actions don’t have consequences.

I think he has done well at Liberty (football and life) and may ultimately get a shot at a bigger name program. I hope so,

Reactions: MemphisVol77
AP made a comment, “Give Hendon the WRs Joe had & a new OC, and I’m not sure we would see the Hendon Hooker we saw in ‘23”

Teams defended Tennessee much different in ‘23. Offense has to become more consistent, less penalties, less drops, less missed passes.
And less missed running opportunities by the QB when the other team leaves that open.

Gaston Moore, I may be crucified for this, Despite me being all ga-ga about Nico like everybody else, I think Gaston is the best QB o9n the current roster. He has experience, knows the system through and through, while we haven't seen it much here, he's an elusive runner. I hope he gets multiple chances to strut his stuff.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Gaston Moore, I may be crucified for this, Despite me being all ga-ga about Nico like everybody else, I think Gaston is the best QB o9n the current roster. He has experience, knows the system through and through, while we haven't seen it much here, he's an elusive runner. I hope he gets multiple chances to strut his stuff.
Maybe, right now, but probably (hopefully) not by September.

Nico seems to have a much higher ceiling than Moore. If he doesn't, Merklinger should.

If Gaston Moore remains our best QB on the roster throughout this year, we've got much larger problems than this year.

Maybe, right now, but probably (hopefully) not by September.

Nico seems to have a much higher ceiling than Moore. If he doesn't, Merklinger should.

If Gaston Moore remains our best QB on the roster throughout this year, we've got much larger problems than this year.
Jess gibben mah openyon.

I gave it a like NOT in agreement that he's the best QB on roster -- c'mon, man. But gave it a like because I thought I was agreeing with the hope that 3 of our QBs get some p.t. in those first 3 games.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol

VN Store

Back