Gators v. Vols

lawgator1

I keep reading the posts on this site and I am mystified by the minorty, small but vocal, that insists that Florida cannot possibly beat UT this year. The game is at Florida Field and it appears that the Gators should be better in every phase of the game versus last year. The question marks are the running game and the defense.

Now that Fiaison is gone the running game is an issue, but Wynn has lost 30 pounds and has woken up and realized that if he wants to play for money down the road he better get his act together. Everything one reads preseason says the offense should be potent, especially with two warm-ups prior to the UT game.

As to defense, there is definitely something to the notions that a) Meyer is trying to make the team better conditioned; and, B) Zook played not to lose too much at the end of a lot of games last year. The defense has talent and should be much more aggressive.

The game is in Gainesville. My predicitons -- admittedly WAY in advance of the game -- are that barring something major (like a key injury) Florida will be a 5 to 8 point favorite in that game. I'll save my prediciton on the actual winner and by how much until we get closer.

:hi:

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Aug 11, 2005 10:37 AM
TN wins in a blowout 30-17 and Leak will not finish the game.
[snapback]125515[/snapback]​

This is what I'm talking about. There is no basis in fact for that statement whatsoever. Being a fan-atic is one thing. Being silly is something else.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 11, 2005 10:41 AM
This is what I'm talking about.  There is no basis in fact for that statement whatsoever.  Being a fan-atic is one thing.  Being silly is something else.
[snapback]125516[/snapback]​

So you come on a board populated by 99.8% Vol fans and expect a different answer? :eek:k:

The running game had better not be a weakness when playing UT this year. The front 7 is as good as anyone in the country and will tee off on a pass happy team that can't keep them honest. Also, most tend to think that Meyer's offense will expose Leak to more hits than he is used to. He isn't the type to lower his shoulder for a couple extra and the Vols LB's will kill him if he tries to get out of the pocket. Too much team speed on D to overcome.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 11, 2005 10:41 AM
This is what I'm talking about.  There is no basis in fact for that statement whatsoever.  Being a fan-atic is one thing.  Being silly is something else.
[snapback]125516[/snapback]​

So how'd it go last time around in Gainesville?

This year's Tennessee squad will bring an experienced offense with massive threats in the backfield, at receiver, and at QB. The defensive front is among, if not, THE best in the nation. LB Simon returns from injury. All-American Allen forgoes the NFL. There is stability and focus in the coaching.

Florida returns a talented yet underachieving team with 5 losses in each of the past seasons and is bringing in a coach with no SEC experience and an offensive style that may or not work facing a new caliber of D.

Why is a 13 point prediction "silly?"

i would say that you projecting uf to be a 5-8 pt favorite would probably be somewhere in the ballpark. there is no doubt that it will be a battle to the very end just like last year probably. i can also see how you think uf will be better this year, me personally, i think they are probably more talented too. however, with that being said, ut is better in every phase of our game as well. the only reasons i believe ut will win the game is because like you said, the uf defense might be suspect as well as the running game. if your d-line is part of the reason the defense might struggle, this could present some serious problems for ya'll because while our o-line might not be THE best in the nation, they are ONE of the best because in my opinion losing munoz is not that big of a deal and the rest of the offense will be just as good since we are returning 8 on offense. and like you said, with fiason gone, the running game is likely to struggle at times and with the guys we have returning on our d-line plus the linebackers with simon coming back, stopping the run will definetly be one of our strengths and people will not be able to throw on us with the same success they did last year either especially since we are returning 7 or 8 on defense too. now will all of that being said, i still expect us to go into gainsville as underdogs mainly because its at gainsville, if the game were to be played in knoxville, we would be favored.

I think Florida will be a 2 1/2 point favorite. But the Vols will win a close game on the road ( as we have a knack of doing in recent years)

Fla has a new coach with an new offesnive scheme, playing in the SEC, four years removed from being a recievers coach for a mediocre ND team, no depth on the line, a QB with limited running abilities, no star running back, and so much hype that thier first bad play will so disrupt thier psyche that they will crumble in a comedy of errors and honestly, TN may beat them worse than 30-17. Welcome to reality.

lawgator1, welcome to the board.

We always enjoy friendly discussion with Florida fans, so here is my take. We lost very little to graduation last year and are much more experienced. Heading into the season the looks as if it could turn out to be one of our most talented teams. I'll admit that will not definitely equal wins, but we are excited about the possiblities.

My hang up is how in the world Florda fans are so confident? I'll admit that you guys have some talent on that team but there are still a lot of question marks. I don't see how you can expect a team that has lost 15 games in the last 3 years and has a new head coach that has never coached on this level to be in the NC hunt let alone beat Tennessee.

Flordida and Meyer may very well prove me wrong but they are going to have to show me on the field. They are in NO WAY deserving of the preseason hype they are getting.

Wynn may have lost some weight, but the rumors are flying that he may be in trouble, possibly suspended. Florida's LB's and secondary are very young, and are also not very deep.

LawGator, are you in law school or practicing law?

I'm a law student. Just curious.

Originally posted by GenNeyland9@Aug 11, 2005 11:49 AM

LawGator, are you in law school or practicing law?

I'm a law student.  Just curious.
[snapback]125535[/snapback]​

Yes, Wynn is likely to be suspended. I read that it was some violation of team rules hanging around from last year -- no specifics on it at this point. However, the suspension is apparently only going to be for the Wyoming game (Game 1). Meyer says he will discuss it when it is all finished up -- it might be some problem between Wynn and Zook. Zook said a lot of bad things about Wynn's desire and effort last year. Hopefully, some nastiness growing out of that and nothing more serious. We'll see.

To answer your question, graduated UF law in 95.

Thanks to those welcoming me and, lol, no I did not expect a different reaction to my thread. Forget who posted it above, but I concur with the sentiment that the reason for my predicting that Florida will be favored is because the game is at Florida Field. If it were at Neyland, I'd say UT would be favored.

I'm not in any way disrespecting UT. I'm just saying that Florida at UF should be as tough as anybody this year and the home field advantage in the college game, to me, has always been worth about 10 points to otherwise relatively evenly matched teams.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 11, 2005 1:55 PM

I'm not in any way disrespecting UT.  I'm just saying that Florida at UF should be as tough as anybody this year and the home field advantage in the college game, to me, has always been worth about 10 points to otherwise relatively evenly matched teams.
[snapback]125546[/snapback]​

So, we beat you 34-10 in 2003? 44-32 in 2001?

Check your history. The swamp doesn't scare us. It's just a place for us to take a Leak. :p

It'll be a good game. But ya'll are the ones that need to prove yourselves. Not us.

Welcome to the board, and take care.

Well, here's hoping at least that the officiating does not decide it this year, like it definitely did last year. Or the year of "the catch (or non-catch)."

So do you think it was a "catch"???? If that was a catch then the call at the end of last years game was the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a catch, because the refs said it was a catch.

It's in the record books as a TD catch, and Florida will forever be in the record books for having won that game.

We won last year's game legit b/c the refs made a call, we hit a FG, and we won. We will forever be in the record books as having won last year.

That's the way it was, the way it is, and the way it always will be.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 11, 2005 1:33 PM
Well, here's hoping at least that the officiating does not decide it this year, like it definitely did last year.  Or the year of "the catch (or non-catch)."
[snapback]125558[/snapback]​

:pukeb:

Originally posted by GenNeyland9@Aug 11, 2005 2:55 PM

It's in the record books as a TD catch, and Florida will forever be in the record books for having won that game.

We won last year's game legit b/c the refs made a call, we hit a FG, and we won.  We will forever be in the record books as having won last year.

[snapback]125569[/snapback]​

...and if "the catch" had been ruled incomplete, Florida might have punched it into the endzone a play or two later anyway. And if the ref had wound the clock last year, we still would have had 2-3 plays to move the ball into FG range.

Bottom line is, we should have played better defense in 2001 and the Gators should have gotten a first down last year to ice the game.

Originally posted by GenNeyland9@Aug 11, 2005 1:55 PM

We won last year's game legit b/c the refs made a call, we hit a FG, and we won.  We will forever be in the record books as having won last year.

[snapback]125569[/snapback]​

I don't know if it was a catch or not. It was so fast and I just could not tell, even after watching numerous replays. The non-mutual flag at the end of last year's game is hard to stomach, objectively. But, the failure to run the clock was objectively wrong and the SEC admitted that was a mistake, allowing UT to kick that field goal.

That versus the fact that even if there was no catch, there was still time for another 2-3 plays from the 3 yard line in the game at Neyland.

In the records book sense, you are correct. The games are in the book, as you say. But I just don't see how you can credibly argue that one situation justified the other or that the two are even comparable. Again, even if one questions the judgment of the officials in catch versus one-sided call in shoving match, it is a hard, true, and incontrovertible objective fact that the officials then blew it when they did not start the clock immediately.

And that unquestionably played a role in the finish to the game.

This is the way I see it. I just think that our defense is just to much to overcome. Too much speed for florida to counter with. I think we win by 10.

Originally posted by lawgator1@Aug 11, 2005 2:08 PM
I don't know if it was a catch or not.  It was so fast and I just could not tell, even after watching numerous replays.  The non-mutual flag at the end of last year's game is hard to stomach, objectively.  But, the failure to run the clock was objectively wrong and the SEC admitted that was a mistake, allowing UT to kick that field goal.

That versus the fact that even if there was no catch, there was still time for another 2-3 plays from the 3 yard line in the game at Neyland.

In the records book sense, you are correct.  The games are in the book, as you say.  But I just don't see how you can credibly argue that one situation justified the other or that the two are even comparable.  Again, even if one questions the judgment of the officials in catch versus one-sided call in shoving match, it is a hard, true, and incontrovertible objective fact that the officials then blew it when they did not start the clock immediately.

[snapback]125577[/snapback]​

I repeat:

:pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb: :pukeb:

I don't think he was trying to justify either call. Just saying that they happenend, it's over and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

27-21 UT. Lack of depth on defense and at RB plus new system does in Gators

And we are unquestionably 2-0 in Gainesville in the 21st century. WITHOUT a blown call or a non-catch or a clock dispute. Let me guess, our cleats were too long?

But I just don't see how you can credibly argue that one situation justified the other or that the two are even comparable. 

I never said one situation justified the other. I simply stated that they both happened, and are both history.

Many things unquestionably play a role in game finishes. Chief among these are the ability/inability to D-up during crucial drives at the end of games (see UT in 2000, and UF in 2004).

The main point of my last post is that those two games are history.

Let's get back to talking about this year's upcoming game.

VN Store

Back