Gerald Mincey to the portal

Which is the level we're attempting to recruit and landed in the most recent class. Thing about percentages (with all apologies to LWS's abacus) is THE BEST don't live by them. Think more Francis Mauigoa than Brian Grant.
I hear you. Back when everyone thought we were getting Seaton I actually thought he’d have a chance to start at RT, and that was before Mincey entered the portal. I’m not opposed to true freshman at OT it’s just rare that they perform well. That’s all I’m saying. We have a significant need tho. So the kid from LSU could probably step in and start as a true sophomore.

I hear you. Back when everyone thought we were getting Seaton I actually thought he’d have a chance to start at RT, and that was before Mincey entered the portal. I’m not opposed to true freshman at OT it’s just rare that they perform well. That’s all I’m saying. We have a significant need tho. So the kid from LSU could probably step in and start as a true sophomore.
And the fact that he would be AVAILABLE to do so skews the percentages cited from 2016 freshmen.

That data goes out to 2023. Just have to click on a different tab at the bottom
Edit: Ok, I see that now. Will say the less talent stacked the program, the less redshirts and that doesn’t reflect their playing times in their second and third seasons. The days a talented big ugly waits til his redshirt sophomore season to even be in the two deep went the way of the dodo.

Edit: Ok, I see that now. Will say the less talent stacked the program, the less redshirts and that doesn’t reflect their playing times in their second and third seasons. The days a talented big ugly waits til his redshirt sophomore season to even be in the two deep went the way of the dodo.
Agreed. Most important thing is to recruit elite talent. Bama a prime example. Think they had a 1st year guy AND a 2nd year guy starting on the OL. However that could be why Michigan destroyed Bama’s OL on the final play.. although I’m not sure exactly who got beat.

Seaton was used and abused at the Allstar game.

Agreed. Most important thing is to recruit elite talent. Bama a prime example. Think they had a 1st year guy AND a 2nd year guy starting on the OL. However that could be why Michigan destroyed Bama’s OL on the final play.. although I’m not sure exactly who got beat.

Michigan front whipped that OL several times. Milroe was playing scared in the second half. Imo

It looked to me like the RG pulled and went into the end zone untouched. If Milroe had followed him instead of going straight ahead, things might have been different.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Some unsuccessful transfer portal guys can take a pay cut and try out of the XFL: "What is the average XFL player's salary? On average, an XFL player who makes the final roster after the five-week training camp will make a minimum $59,000 for the year. That is nothing to sneeze at by any means, but in terms of what the average NFL player makes, it's low on the spectrum." It will be interesting to see how many players end up with no valid offers or spots to transfer to. It is all quite interesting this rapid change brought to the system but it may help some teams overall including Tennessee. Time will tell. I like the 12 team playoff as well but teams will need larger rosters for the longer season and maybe PWO players can fill out the larger squad needed. Pay them anyway so there is no real distinction with scholarship players. Avoid the Seatons and Nolen types who want to break the bank.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Please do. I would wager the percentages teeter totter higher with the programs stacking OL talent season upon season vs teams needing immediate help.

I glanced at what it would take to pull the information and it is going to take some time to pull together. I'm thinking a looking at top rated players as listed at OL positions from like 2019 or 2020 recruiting cycles to see when they became starters. I think the best way is going to be looking at their bios for information.

I don't want to leave you hanging on this and I will get to it but I'm in the middle of tracking Portal data and I need to update the data for signing classes after the 2023 season since everyone has finished playing (except the NC game). So it could be a few weeks before I can get to that review.

I will get it and ping you when I've pulled together.

I glanced at what it would take to pull the information and it is going to take some time to pull together. I'm thinking a looking at top rated players as listed at OL positions from like 2019 or 2020 recruiting cycles to see when they became starters. I think the best way is going to be looking at their bios for information.

I don't want to leave you hanging on this and I will get to it but I'm in the middle of tracking Portal data and I need to update the data for signing classes after the 2023 season since everyone has finished playing (except the NC game). So it could be a few weeks before I can get to that review.

I will get it and ping you when I've pulled together.
"Time" as in data that hasn't happened under present dynamics. Appreciate your efforts.

That's why I mentioned Baron. I can't think of anyone who came back and played except him. It's pure speculation whether the others "shopped around and got a better deal elsewhere, wanted to leave, or were told they should leave."

It's just my way of thinking but it's kind of like threatening a divorce. It's one thing to be upset, want things to change, etc but once you file for divorce, my attitude would change. Couldn't we work this out more privately?

I think of the portal as "I'm done talking with you and I'm moving on." I'm just not sure a significant percentage of significant players have "jumped in and come back" at any school to make that a "strategy."

I suspect that Baron was wanted and offered more to come back and I think I recall a few other "higher profile" guys at other schools who went in and then came back, but there's not many.

If you hit the portal, you'd better be dang sure you have value out there (and Mincey likely does) if you're trying to squeeze your current team or you may find yourself on the porch with nowhere to go and the door locked.
I had a mentor/boss one time that was getting me ready for management tell me this…”I never give someone raise to stay after they have turned their notice in. If they come to me before finding another job/turning notice in and say hey I think I am under paid and here is why, I will listen and give them a raise if they have a valid case. If I give them raise after they have given notice, it will just bread resentment of them and other staff members because they talk and they will eventually find another job making more than the raise I bought them off with and leave anyway.”

I have come to realize how wise that advise was as I went up through management, I think CJH knows this and that is why it appears they took care of current team members they wanted to keep first then attacked portal.

It is possible I have underestimated the impact of his loss. A couple of radio talking heads that shall remain nameless indicated his loss would be felt more than Baron. No basis to take exception. But even if true, flip flopping like he did does nothing positive for me.

I hear the dancing reports with a few of the bigtime portal options but Will be surprised if we shell out the big bucks. Solid offer I am good with. Might even take a guy with a lack of experience risk if evaluation says he is worth a shot. Maybe our big freshman is a day one generational talent. Won’t panic till spring is over and alarms are sounding and May window is closed.

VN Store

Back