Gerald Mincey to the portal

It looks like Bennett Warren would have kept Mincey off the field if he had stayed.

I wish Gerald well. He has done a fine job of looking out for himself over his college career. It didn't work at Florida, so he came here. He knows he needs to start somewhere to have a decent chance of being drafted. Unfortunately for him that place wasn't going to be Tennessee. I hope he continues to develop and can earn a living playing football if he so desires.

I pump as much sunshine as anyone, but even I have a hard time believing that. Warren is a monster, but starting DEs in the SEC are skilled craftsmen; masters of the trade. I think of the offensive line like I think of jiu-jitsu. You can put a big guy with little/no experience against a much smaller guy with only a year or two of experience and the smaller guy will win 90% of the time. Size and athleticism is only half the battle. There's an art to hand placement and body leverage that can only be learned through years of experience.

Reactions: Vol 67
Weird situation and it's a loss that we can't just absorb and say "no big deal" imo. Maybe we really do end up upgrading through the portal but we have to hope now that that happens. Sure would be great if we could land multiple linemen.

I can't figure this one out no matter what angle I take.

If we were recruiting over him, why did the Vol Club seemingly take care of him 2 weeks ago? Surely, our left hand knows what the right hand is doing?

If we're not recruiting over him and he just posted he was good and thanked our collective 2 weeks ago, why hit the portal? It's really unlikely that looks good to any other collective: "I'm fine. Thanks for everything." 2 weeks later: "I'm in the portal."

I have a wild theory. Did Baron perhaps know the figure on Mincey's recent Vol Club deal, then get to Ole Miss and find out "they got O Line guys up in here getting quite a bit more than my boy GM. I'm gonna put the word in his ear that he's not being respected." Basically, did Mincey find out he's not getting what the SEC market value is for O Linemen even after his new Vol Club deal?

And before people get fired up about that last part, whether it sucks or not..... and it sucks..... this is where we are. As with any competitive environment or battlefield or personal situation, you deal with where you are, not where you think you deserve to be. Bitching that it shouldn't be this way is useless.
I like your theory and am concerned that it is yet another facet of NIL / Transfer Portal that coaches and admins will have to deal with in the future.
Just takes the college game another step closer to being a professional sport when you have to have discussions around player A getting X money at school X versus Y money at school Y...I don't like it. If I wanted to keep track of crap like that I would watch and pay attention to the NFL more.

I like your theory and am concerned that it is yet another facet of NIL / Transfer Portal that coaches and admins will have to deal with in the future.
Just takes the college game another step closer to being a professional sport when you have to have discussions around player A getting X money at school X versus Y money at school Y...I don't like it. If I wanted to keep track of crap like that I would watch and pay attention to the NFL more.
I don't like it and I don't really like my theory but kids are going to talk and two things young guys are going to talk about a lot are money and women.

I've worked in situations where pay was "to be kept secret" and it rarely ended up working smoothly if someone was being significantly favored for reasons other than work quality or seniority.

A lot of this is human nature. It's not a college football problem. Everyone wants to be recognized for their value and money is one way that humans see as recognition. I'd certainly have been pissed if my peers of similar talent and seniority were making more than me, wouldn't you?

Reactions: IndianaVol
I pump as much sunshine as anyone, but even I have a hard time believing that. Warren is a monster, but starting DEs in the SEC are skilled craftsmen; masters of the trade. I think of the offensive line like I think of jiu-jitsu. You can put a big guy with little/no experience against a much smaller guy with only a year or two of experience and the smaller guy will win 90% of the time. Size and athleticism is only half the battle. There's an art to hand placement and body leverage that can only be learned through years of experience.
So highly recruited OL have to wait YEARS? If this is you pumping sunshine, someone needs a master class. :cool:

Didn’t we have a pair of tackles that started as freshmen - Darnell and the guy that transferred to USC?
a6a.gif

But Wanya Morris transferred to Oklahoma.

Reactions: VAVol85 and GordonC
So highly recruited OL have to wait YEARS? If this is you pumping sunshine, someone needs a master class. :cool:
Usually OL don’t contribute significantly until their 3rd year on campus. Think @LWSVOL did a study on it recently and IIRC that was true for something like 80% of OL. Obviously though you have some elite guys who break the rule.

Nine Alabama football players entered the NCAA transfer portal on Wednesday. All nine entries became official in the span of 15 minutes.

Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide were expecting transfer portal entries following their loss to No. 1 Michigan in the College Football Playoff. But still, nine players leaving the program in 15 minutes is practically unheard of.

Yeah I heard about that one but it almost seems like Saban wanted them out.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I think you're confusing Drew Richmond and Wanya Morris, who wound up going to Oklahoma.
Bama’s OT this year, Laremy Tunsil, Antonio Richardson, JaWuan James… there’s lots of examples but most of those guys are elite. And IIRC Richmond and Morris kinda sucked as freshmen

Usually OL don’t contribute significantly until their 3rd year on campus. Think @LWSVOL did a study on it recently and IIRC that was true for something like 80% of OL. Obviously though you have some elite guys who break the rule.
Which is the level we're attempting to recruit and landed in the most recent class. Thing about percentages (with all apologies to LWS's abacus) is THE BEST don't live by them. Think more Francis Mauigoa than Brian Grant.

Bama’s OT this year, Laremy Tunsil, Antonio Richardson, JaWuan James… there’s lots of examples but most of those guys are elite. And IIRC Richmond and Morris kinda sucked as freshmen
Sucked less than the other options, with mediocre OL coaching at best.

It's very easy to validate. I think over 90 percent of the top rated OL redshirted this year. Not at home or I could pull the data.

I think all but three of the top 30 QBs redshirted this year.

Reactions: bpalmer28
It's very easy to validate. I think over 90 percent of the top rated OL redshirted this year. Not at home or I could pull the data.

I think all but three of the top 30 QBs redshirted this year.
And how many of them SIT til their third season?

If your talking P5 schools. I would guess over 70 percent. I would have to look
Please do. I would wager the percentages teeter totter higher with the programs stacking OL talent season upon season vs teams needing immediate help.

Another one of your knee jerk reactions.

Priceless.
Nico could transfer tomorrow and guys like you would be on here talking bout “he’s been recruited over or got his walking papers. Saw the writing on the wall”. lol. That’s what’s priceless. A little bit of reality never hurt anything.

VN Store

Back